Used 2005 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Most Helpful|
Transmission vibrates/grinds at 35-40 mph
By kpsmith

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At approximately 30,000 miles, upon acceleration, the transmission would vibrate/grind until 45 mph. I have found this to be a common problem on many Acura forums and there are 11 reports of this exact same problem on the National Highway Transportation and Safety (NHTSA) website. The problem seems to be the transmission torque converter.

Favorite Features

NAVI, interior and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Can hardly hear the turn signal. Suggest a warning feature that the turn signal has been on for an extended period of time. Almost impossible to change the rear wiper blade.

Rear main seal - transmission
By Van Sean

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Barely out of warranty and the rear main seal (rear crankshaft seal) failed. The sad part is I just paid off this sucker. Transmission also started to develop problems. Replacing the rear main seal can cost upward $2000 (mostly labor) but this won't stop the other transmission related problems. I finally gave up and traded it in for a new car. This was a loss-loss situation for me. Acura quality is falling apart. Sadly, I am not the only ones being affected by this...avoid at all cost!

Favorite Features

Cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

All over...

Good Investment
By flajcat

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife has a 2002 MDX and because of the performance, quality, craftsmanship, I decided to buy a 2005 MDX. Way above average resale value. No problems in 3 years, excellent quality. The back up camera adds to safety. There are 8 airbags, high quality interior. Very good engine performance. Luxurious inside. Navigation system is a 10. Mediocre gas mileage. I am getting about 18 combined highway and city.

Favorite Features

Navigation; quality; ride comfort; back up camera; storage room

Suggested Improvements

Need to use regular gasoline and get better mileage.

Wished for More
By irishwheat

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Wished this car had been as reliable and fun to drive as other Honda products. In general, a great disappointment. Electrical problems and navigational breakdowns. AC would not shut off. In shop five times in first 7 months.

Favorite Features

dvd, navigation

Rides like a go-cart
By edavis

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I first purchased by Acura, I loved it. But after the first year and several miles later the suspension is terrible. It bounces like a go-cart and the brakes are pretty scary too. I believe that it is the front wheel drive that causes the problem with this SUV. The dealer tells me that I have to come in and spend $600 to reset the suspension to the original factory specs, this must be a recurring problem with this vehicle. The air conditioner also makes a loud rattling sound.

Favorite Features

Nice interior and thoughtfully placed instrument panel. I like the rear air- conditioning, very nice for a hot climate.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension and brakes. My MDX has also jolted forword from the park postion when it is started. I am NOT happy with this vehicle.