2005 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Been a Good SUV
By GatorJeff on 03/26/10 19:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall this has been a solid vehicle. The only problem has been the torque converter at 57,000 miles. Acura paid a large portion of the repair cost though. I really love the MDX and can't seem to find anything worth selling it for. I usually keep cars for three years but after 5 I want to hang on to it for a while longer. I really like the design and interior technology.

Great after 4 years
By Jay on 02/16/10 12:03 PM (PST)

I bought my pre owned MDX at 62000, driving it since then for 10 months I am a satisfied customer. I like the build quality and handling. at 69000 it still runs quiet on the road. during the recent snow it drives superb with great AWD controls and traction.

Trouble with transmission
By driddle on 02/05/10 12:48 PM (PST)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car, but have had trouble with transmission. Has been replaced once already at 50000 miles, still makes hard shifts when shifting down.

Extended warranty
By MDX man on 09/21/09 07:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have this truck for over 4years, I took to dealer at least 5 times for various problem.... Nice design, need to improve quality... Starter, Valve, Transmission, shock-- etc some of the few problems that have with this truck....

Outstanding Family Vehicle
By IZJ on 09/03/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The MDX is overall a truly outstanding family vehicle. Ours has 74,000 miles of intense use and wear. The balance of comfort, utility, passenger space, cargo room, handling and performance is remarkable. Honda is a packaging genius for figuring out how to create so much space in a reasonably compact vehicle. Acceleration is good for a heavy vehicle. Interior room is excellent and the leather seats are comfortable and durable. Many long road trips have been completed with enjoyment and ease. My wife and I have 3 children, aged 4-11. Gas mileage is solid, 16 city, 24-25 pure highway. An early electrical problem was fixed and we have had no other issues. We will keep our MDX for years.

Rear main seal - transmission
By Van Sean on 04/04/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Barely out of warranty and the rear main seal (rear crankshaft seal) failed. The sad part is I just paid off this sucker. Transmission also started to develop problems. Replacing the rear main seal can cost upward $2000 (mostly labor) but this won't stop the other transmission related problems. I finally gave up and traded it in for a new car. This was a loss-loss situation for me. Acura quality is falling apart. Sadly, I am not the only ones being affected by this...avoid at all cost!

I thought Acura/Honda's were relable?
By JP on 02/24/09 09:49 AM (PST)

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really liked the features of the vehicle. Drove it one week and started hearing a "rumbling" noise around 30-40 mph. Seemed like the transmission was having problems shifting. Dealer had it for two weeks, had to rebuild the transmission and replace the torque converter. Luckily I will have 3 years/36,000 mile warranty on the transmission. Besides that, nothing else to complain about so far. I thought Acura/Hondas were supposed to be very reliable?

My Wife Loves this Car
By Big Fan on 12/06/08 23:08 PM (PST)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car. Comfortable seats, quiet, smooth. My wife's friends always ask her to drive because they all love this car. Very reliable - transmission replaced under warranty, no other problems.

A Little Overrated
By VW on 08/21/08 19:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I find the MDX to be more hefty and top heavy in driving dynamics than I expected. It's pretty thirsty at 15 MPG city. Engine seems rock solid and smooth. Ride suspension is tuned nicely -- not too firm, not too mushy. Should have HID and lane change signal without having to clicking on the signal arm. Stereo is pretty good quality. XM is nice. Navi and Handsfree link are a little awkward to use.

My favorite vehicle ever owned!!!
By Michael Miers on 08/01/08 10:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my MDX. Nothing wrong with it, and have had no problems. This is my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. Bluetooth works great!