Used 2005 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 198 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Think b4 you buy your next Acura
By seahawks_fan

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Think b4 you buy your next Acura. My 05 MDX slammed and
locked its brakes while doing 40mph and
almost killed my family. It happened three times in less than a month.
Dealership won't fix the modulator that is most likely the cause because it would
cost them $1600. The seat belt locked on my 9 month old pregnant wife's belly
and cause my other kids head to whip lash. They have had my car for over a week now and waiting on Corporate to take responsibility. It's sad that saving $1600 is more important than the lives of 6 people. Come on Acura/Honda.
Update: After having my $50,000 luxury car for a week, the decided they will only replace a $100 part called a brake switch. But they refused to replace the other problem, $1600 abs modulator. Their diagnostic computer told them both were failing parts. The service manager told me they are not wear and tear parts and should not have gone bad.
So they sent me off with my family hoping they guessed right. So now the car sits on my drive way. I refuse to put my family in danger. Had I been on the freeway or crossing our states snowy mountains, my family might not be here right now. I wouldn't be here to share this with others.
I told the claim manage than my family has bought 3 accords, two civics, Acura RL and the MDX the past 20 years, while spending over $100,000.
Yet, he said that wasn't enough of loyalty.

Interior is roomy and comfortable.

Built quality. This cars have a history of transmission problems. Acura customer services are quick to send you on your way without help.

TRANSMISSION
By brannguyen

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this from a used Honda dealership-in Marietta, GA, Aug. 2011. Was really excited to own my Acura SUV w/ 3rd row! Honda had a good reputation w/ reliability except for their transmission issue! I didn't realized it until it was too late! I had it checked out by Ed Voyles Acura-Chamblee. They said it was fine & they even did the transmission chip software recall. They found nothing wrong w/ it! They even took it upon themselves to do the FULL 105k service w/ timing belt w/ out getting my approval or trying to figure out what was wrong w/ the transmission. I was really upset! I even rode w/ them to see why it would vibrate at 50-60mph. Of course it wouldn't make that noise.

They need to fix this problem!!! I spent over $1300 worth of repairs thinking it would last a long time!!! Thanks again HONDA/ACURA! You really wasted my HARD EARN MONEY!!! Will not buy another Honda!!! Had to trade my 2005 MDX in for a new 2012 KIA Sorento!!! It's way better!!! It hasn't disappoint me yet!!!

I love this car
By desertmom

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my MDX for over 5 years it now has
126,000 miles. I have not had any problems and it runs great. I definitely would buy another.

navigation system, 3rd row seats, steering and handling, excellent in the snow

more and larger cupholders, better air conditioning vents for 2nd and 3rd row seats

A piece of feces wrapped in gold
By JC in DC

Its bright and shiny on the outside and completely unreliable on the inside. The transmission failed at 71000 miles - dealer wants $4,000 to repair. Paid $45,592 new for the vehicle and $6465 on repairs since 2005. If we pay for the transmission it will be over $10,000 - more than 22% of the original cost. Bluetooth stopped working at 50,000 miles Engine required $3,278 worth of repairs at 60,000 miles. We use this car as our primary family vehicle - nothing strenuous or abusive. I would never buy a Honda product ever again.

Heated seats.

120,000 mile warranty or some indication that you stand behind the products you produce.

'05 MDX
By mdxer

Replacing Cadillac Eldorado and more than happy with the change. The MDX had 82,000 miles when I got it, 97,000 six months later without any trouble, except with an a/c vent cover. Early on I had the opportunity to drive for several hours in a blizzard with complete confidence. I have also had it on unimproved old logging roads with equal confidence. I would not take it where I would take a 4Runner, but I prefer cabin comforts. The cabin is awesome and the toys are awesome. Front seats are 5 star. This is my favorite car ever. I installed after market transmission and power steering filters as a precaution. The tranny's are suspect. I drive in D4 around town and D5 only over 60 mph.

tow pkg, built in NAV, bluetooth, XM/Sirius, rear DVD, split 2nd row, having a 3rd row, consumer reports highest rated mid-size SUV