2005 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Think b4 you buy your next Acura
By seahawks_fan on 02/06/13 15:44 PM (PST)

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Think b4 you buy your next Acura. My 05 MDX slammed and locked its brakes while doing 40mph and almost killed my family. It happened three times in less than a month. Dealership won't fix the modulator that is most likely the cause because it would cost them $1600. The seat belt locked on my 9 month old pregnant wife's belly and cause my other kids head to whip lash. They have had my car for over a week now and waiting on Corporate to take responsibility. It's sad that saving $1600 is more important than the lives of 6 people. Come on Acura/Honda. Update: After having my $50,000 luxury car for a week, the decided they will only replace a $100 part called a brake switch. But they refused to replace the other problem, $1600 abs modulator. Their diagnostic computer told them both were failing parts. The service manager told me they are not wear and tear parts and should not have gone bad. So they sent me off with my family hoping they guessed right. So now the car sits on my drive way. I refuse to put my family in danger. Had I been on the freeway or crossing our states snowy mountains, my family might not be here right now. I wouldn't be here to share this with others. I told the claim manage than my family has bought 3 accords, two civics, Acura RL and the MDX the past 20 years, while spending over $100,000. Yet, he said that wasn't enough of loyalty.

Extended warranty
By MDX man on 09/21/09 07:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have this truck for over 4years, I took to dealer at least 5 times for various problem.... Nice design, need to improve quality... Starter, Valve, Transmission, shock-- etc some of the few problems that have with this truck....

Rear main seal - transmission
By Van Sean on 04/04/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Barely out of warranty and the rear main seal (rear crankshaft seal) failed. The sad part is I just paid off this sucker. Transmission also started to develop problems. Replacing the rear main seal can cost upward $2000 (mostly labor) but this won't stop the other transmission related problems. I finally gave up and traded it in for a new car. This was a loss-loss situation for me. Acura quality is falling apart. Sadly, I am not the only ones being affected by this...avoid at all cost!

I thought Acura/Honda's were relable?
By JP on 02/24/09 09:49 AM (PST)

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really liked the features of the vehicle. Drove it one week and started hearing a "rumbling" noise around 30-40 mph. Seemed like the transmission was having problems shifting. Dealer had it for two weeks, had to rebuild the transmission and replace the torque converter. Luckily I will have 3 years/36,000 mile warranty on the transmission. Besides that, nothing else to complain about so far. I thought Acura/Hondas were supposed to be very reliable?

I Love It!!
By Brandi on 07/24/06 14:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my MDX as much today as the day I bought it. It drives like a dream and is very roomy. Just last weekend we took 6 adults over 3 hours drive away with luggage and everyone had plenty of room. Now if only they would come out with a hybrid with the new models...

Love it
By Nice Ride on 02/25/06 17:00 PM (PST)

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Went from a Toyota Camry XLS to the MDX since we have a toddler and another on the way. Drives like a car, very smooth. Comes standard with sunroof, heated seats, third row. Has alot to offer.

Not your typical Honda product at all
By berto on 01/12/06 02:13 AM (PST)

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Exterior is much sportier than the older body style with the new head/tail lights and dual outlet exhaust but still looks somewhat minivan-ish. Interior build quality is outstanding, not extravagant and everything is logically placed. Very minimal body roll and understeer for what it is. Stereo sounds great especially for a base model. Sound deadening is better than any Honda/Acura I've ever owned. Seats are comfortable--I had to drive 12 hours stopping only for gas and felt fine. Motor is exceptionally torquey for a Honda, but you pay for it at the pump. Acts like an Audi sometimes though--pulsing from rear when turning from a stop, and transmission shifting is somewhat sluggish.

I Love My MDX
By Suzanne on 01/08/06 09:42 AM (PST)

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven a minivan for years and this is my first SUV. We went with the MDX after test driving BMW,Lexus,Volvo. I was not impressed until I drove my Acura! Main reason I chose it..Cargo room, and 3rd row seat is big enough for me or my 17 y/o son! Best of all were the safety rateings. My MDX gets alomost 19mi/per gallon! Don't think that's bad for a 6cyl. Heck I only got 14-16 with my minivan! Wonderful ride in town or longer trips. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for room, safety and looks!

All-around best performer
By dhk on 10/04/05 02:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After doing a thorough research, we settled on MDX and have not been disappointed. This car does not do any one thing better than the competitors; Lexus has a slightly comfier interior; VW may have better off-road capability. But the entire package is better than the competition. Room for seven; Acura workmanship; lots and lots of power; and fair pricing. We love than Acura won't nickel and dime you for features such as leather seating and moonroof. Everything comes standard. The only negative - and it comes with the territory - is the gas mileage, though it is better than most SUVs.

The best for the money
By John on 10/03/05 11:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car especially for the price. Extremely smooth transmission and very powerful 6 cylinder engine. Very quiet cabin. Handles like a car!