Used 2005 Acura MDX Base SUV Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

looking for another newer one.
By bill bbbb

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is good looking not trendy, dependable, strong and luxurious. What else could you want.

Think b4 you buy your next Acura
By seahawks_fan

Think b4 you buy your next Acura. My 05 MDX slammed and
locked its brakes while doing 40mph and
almost killed my family. It happened three times in less than a month.
Dealership won't fix the modulator that is most likely the cause because it would
cost them $1600. The seat belt locked on my 9 month old pregnant wife's belly
and cause my other kids head to whip lash. They have had my car for over a week now and waiting on Corporate to take responsibility. It's sad that saving $1600 is more important than the lives of 6 people. Come on Acura/Honda.
Update: After having my $50,000 luxury car for a week, the decided they will only replace a $100 part called a brake switch. But they refused to replace the other problem, $1600 abs modulator. Their diagnostic computer told them both were failing parts. The service manager told me they are not wear and tear parts and should not have gone bad.
So they sent me off with my family hoping they guessed right. So now the car sits on my drive way. I refuse to put my family in danger. Had I been on the freeway or crossing our states snowy mountains, my family might not be here right now. I wouldn't be here to share this with others.
I told the claim manage than my family has bought 3 accords, two civics, Acura RL and the MDX the past 20 years, while spending over $100,000.
Yet, he said that wasn't enough of loyalty.

Interior is roomy and comfortable.

Built quality. This cars have a history of transmission problems. Acura customer services are quick to send you on your way without help.

Extended warranty
By MDX man

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have this truck for over 4years, I took to dealer at least 5 times for various problem.... Nice design, need to improve quality... Starter, Valve, Transmission, shock-- etc some of the few problems that have with this truck....

Ride is O.K.

They need to work on transmission.

Rear main seal - transmission
By Van Sean

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Barely out of warranty and the rear main seal (rear crankshaft seal) failed. The sad part is I just paid off this sucker. Transmission also started to develop problems. Replacing the rear main seal can cost upward $2000 (mostly labor) but this won't stop the other transmission related problems. I finally gave up and traded it in for a new car. This was a loss-loss situation for me. Acura quality is falling apart. Sadly, I am not the only ones being affected by this...avoid at all cost!

Cargo room.

All over...

I thought Acura/Honda's were relable?
By JP

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really liked the features of the vehicle. Drove it one week and started hearing a "rumbling" noise around 30-40 mph. Seemed like the transmission was having problems shifting. Dealer had it for two weeks, had to rebuild the transmission and replace the torque converter. Luckily I will have 3 years/36,000 mile warranty on the transmission. Besides that, nothing else to complain about so far. I thought Acura/Hondas were supposed to be very reliable?

Interior is roomy, comfortable for a tall person.

Fix the transmission problem, better fuel economy.