Used 2005 Acura MDX Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

TRANSMISSION
By brannguyen

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this from a used Honda dealership-in Marietta, GA, Aug. 2011. Was really excited to own my Acura SUV w/ 3rd row! Honda had a good reputation w/ reliability except for their transmission issue! I didn't realized it until it was too late! I had it checked out by Ed Voyles Acura-Chamblee. They said it was fine & they even did the transmission chip software recall. They found nothing wrong w/ it! They even took it upon themselves to do the FULL 105k service w/ timing belt w/ out getting my approval or trying to figure out what was wrong w/ the transmission. I was really upset! I even rode w/ them to see why it would vibrate at 50-60mph. Of course it wouldn't make that noise.

They need to fix this problem!!! I spent over $1300 worth of repairs thinking it would last a long time!!! Thanks again HONDA/ACURA! You really wasted my HARD EARN MONEY!!! Will not buy another Honda!!! Had to trade my 2005 MDX in for a new 2012 KIA Sorento!!! It's way better!!! It hasn't disappoint me yet!!!

Great SUV
By jbgraw

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Plenty of room, hard to fit seven passengers and luggage. excellent fuel economy. 15-18 in town, we consistently get 25-26 on the highway. Average tank is always around 21. Super comfortable on the inside. Great in the winter.

Rear A/C controls. Sitting up high. Good view out. Fuel economy.

Transmission issues. Started having troubles at 120K miles with transmission sticking. Heard from lots of other MDX owners that it is a common issue. Heard '07 and newer MDXs are just fine with this though. Also annoying that there is no front passenger temperature controls. AUX input would be nice.

Outstanding Family Vehicle
By IZJ

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The MDX is overall a truly outstanding family vehicle. Ours has 74,000 miles of intense use and wear. The balance of comfort, utility, passenger space, cargo room, handling and performance is remarkable. Honda is a packaging genius for figuring out how to create so much space in a reasonably compact vehicle. Acceleration is good for a heavy vehicle. Interior room is excellent and the leather seats are comfortable and durable. Many long road trips have been completed with enjoyment and ease. My wife and I have 3 children, aged 4-11. Gas mileage is solid, 16 city, 24-25 pure highway. An early electrical problem was fixed and we have had no other issues. We will keep our MDX for years.

Comfort, passenger room, cargo room. Driving position and view. Exterior design (roundly criticized as dull, but I think just the right look for this type of vehicle).

Softer touch plastics on the dashboard and center console. Replacement of plastic wood with real wood or metal.

My Wife Loves this Car
By Big Fan

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car. Comfortable seats, quiet, smooth. My wife's friends always ask her to drive because they all love this car. Very reliable - transmission replaced under warranty, no other problems.

Plenty of power and the all wheel drive make it a sporty and sure footed. Parks easily. Dealership experience - They treat you great and take a lot of pride is keeping your vehicle in top shape.

I wish my MDX had the same stereo as my TL. Other than that this car is near perfect as is. Actually, I have driven newer MDXs and prefer the 2005 model to the newer "improved" models.

A Little Overrated
By VW

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I find the MDX to be more hefty and top heavy in driving dynamics than I expected. It's pretty thirsty at 15 MPG city. Engine seems rock solid and smooth. Ride suspension is tuned nicely -- not too firm, not too mushy. Should have HID and lane change signal without having to clicking on the signal arm. Stereo is pretty good quality. XM is nice. Navi and Handsfree link are a little awkward to use.

Suspension and engine. XM radio. Rearview camera.

Gas mileage. HID & soft lane change signal. Navi & Handsfree link. Lengthen arm rest & bottom seat length. Both are short, making it difficult to establish comfortable sitting position. Steering controls need backlight for evening visibility. Can't display outside temp & gas mileage at same time

• SUV