Used 2005 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 197 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Yes , the transmission is a problem
By Kevin M

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very good Suv. Love the AWD. Felt safe going down the road, it feels like driving a tank. But, the transmission failed at 160000 and we were left stranded on the side of the road. Also, some other little issues. Used regular gas. It did a good job towing. We finally did trade it in at 200000 miles and Lindsay Acura Cols. Gave us 5000 for it. It had a lot of bumps and bruises on it from towing and parking lots. Overall a good suv if Honda would solve the transmission problems that the MDX has.

Love my Acura!
By cfischer15

I am the original owner of my 2005 Acura MDX. Love my car! I have owned this car for over 10 years with no problems. The only thing has been the electric door locks that needed the actuator replaced. Other than that issue, this car is so reliable and comfortable to drive. Love my Acura!

XM satellite radio and OnStar. OnStar helped me when I had an accident and provided immediate support.

Lots of mechanical issues
By MHirt1

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am the original owner of my 2005 MDX, and currently have about 130,000 miles on the car. We have had many mechanical issues with this car, including:

- failed torque converter at about 55,000 miles
- failed transmission cooler at about 85,000 miles which caused intermingling of transmission and radiator fluids - not good
- failed electrical harness unit - had to wait to get one from Germany!
- numerous suspension issues
- rust appearing on front of hood and in all four wheel wells starting at around 100,000 miles

Even my 15-year old Saab has had far fewer, and less expensive, mechanical issues. I am not sure whether I will buy another MDX.

someone will sue Acura
By unhappykris

second MDX, 7th Honda vehicle, last one had tranny issues, this one had the tranny noise slightly.
2012 I get a letter saying transmission software upgrade, so I took it in.
Especially in case I had tranny issues in future they would say that I had not done this upgrade they suggested.
The upgrade made the 5th gear come on at 45 MPH instead of the original 40 MPH.
This removed the noise, but, the gas consumption is terrible now as 90% of my city driving is below 45 MPH!
The should fix bad designs, not make us pay for it.
Also, I cannot prove this yet, but another "recall software upgrade" has disabled my Vehicle Stability Assist".
This is NOT how a luxury make should do things!

ride, navigation and entertainment system.

Completely re-do your transmission design! Stop making the software adjust shifting to mask the noise.

Think b4 you buy your next Acura
By seahawks_fan

2005 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Think b4 you buy your next Acura. My 05 MDX slammed and
locked its brakes while doing 40mph and
almost killed my family. It happened three times in less than a month.
Dealership won't fix the modulator that is most likely the cause because it would
cost them $1600. The seat belt locked on my 9 month old pregnant wife's belly
and cause my other kids head to whip lash. They have had my car for over a week now and waiting on Corporate to take responsibility. It's sad that saving $1600 is more important than the lives of 6 people. Come on Acura/Honda.
Update: After having my $50,000 luxury car for a week, the decided they will only replace a $100 part called a brake switch. But they refused to replace the other problem, $1600 abs modulator. Their diagnostic computer told them both were failing parts. The service manager told me they are not wear and tear parts and should not have gone bad.
So they sent me off with my family hoping they guessed right. So now the car sits on my drive way. I refuse to put my family in danger. Had I been on the freeway or crossing our states snowy mountains, my family might not be here right now. I wouldn't be here to share this with others.
I told the claim manage than my family has bought 3 accords, two civics, Acura RL and the MDX the past 20 years, while spending over $100,000.
Yet, he said that wasn't enough of loyalty.

Interior is roomy and comfortable.

Built quality. This cars have a history of transmission problems. Acura customer services are quick to send you on your way without help.