2005 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
someone will sue Acura
By unhappykris on 01/02/14 07:35 AM (PST)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

second MDX, 7th Honda vehicle, last one had tranny issues, this one had the tranny noise slightly. 2012 I get a letter saying transmission software upgrade, so I took it in. Especially in case I had tranny issues in future they would say that I had not done this upgrade they suggested. The upgrade made the 5th gear come on at 45 MPH instead of the original 40 MPH. This removed the noise, but, the gas consumption is terrible now as 90% of my city driving is below 45 MPH! The should fix bad designs, not make us pay for it. Also, I cannot prove this yet, but another "recall software upgrade" has disabled my Vehicle Stability Assist". This is NOT how a luxury make should do things!

Think b4 you buy your next Acura
By seahawks_fan on 02/06/13 15:44 PM (PST)

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Think b4 you buy your next Acura. My 05 MDX slammed and locked its brakes while doing 40mph and almost killed my family. It happened three times in less than a month. Dealership won't fix the modulator that is most likely the cause because it would cost them $1600. The seat belt locked on my 9 month old pregnant wife's belly and cause my other kids head to whip lash. They have had my car for over a week now and waiting on Corporate to take responsibility. It's sad that saving $1600 is more important than the lives of 6 people. Come on Acura/Honda. Update: After having my $50,000 luxury car for a week, the decided they will only replace a $100 part called a brake switch. But they refused to replace the other problem, $1600 abs modulator. Their diagnostic computer told them both were failing parts. The service manager told me they are not wear and tear parts and should not have gone bad. So they sent me off with my family hoping they guessed right. So now the car sits on my drive way. I refuse to put my family in danger. Had I been on the freeway or crossing our states snowy mountains, my family might not be here right now. I wouldn't be here to share this with others. I told the claim manage than my family has bought 3 accords, two civics, Acura RL and the MDX the past 20 years, while spending over $100,000. Yet, he said that wasn't enough of loyalty.

TRANSMISSION
By brannguyen on 05/21/12 07:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this from a used Honda dealership-in Marietta, GA, Aug. 2011. Was really excited to own my Acura SUV w/ 3rd row! Honda had a good reputation w/ reliability except for their transmission issue! I didn't realized it until it was too late! I had it checked out by Ed Voyles Acura-Chamblee. They said it was fine & they even did the transmission chip software recall. They found nothing wrong w/ it! They even took it upon themselves to do the FULL 105k service w/ timing belt w/ out getting my approval or trying to figure out what was wrong w/ the transmission. I was really upset! I even rode w/ them to see why it would vibrate at 50-60mph. Of course it wouldn't make that noise.

I love this car
By desertmom on 01/04/11 17:07 PM (PST)

I have had my MDX for over 5 years it now has 126,000 miles. I have not had any problems and it runs great. I definitely would buy another.

A piece of feces wrapped in gold
By JC in DC on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

Its bright and shiny on the outside and completely unreliable on the inside. The transmission failed at 71000 miles - dealer wants $4,000 to repair. Paid $45,592 new for the vehicle and $6465 on repairs since 2005. If we pay for the transmission it will be over $10,000 - more than 22% of the original cost. Bluetooth stopped working at 50,000 miles Engine required $3,278 worth of repairs at 60,000 miles. We use this car as our primary family vehicle - nothing strenuous or abusive. I would never buy a Honda product ever again.

'05 MDX
By mdxer on 08/07/10 14:55 PM (PDT)

Replacing Cadillac Eldorado and more than happy with the change. The MDX had 82,000 miles when I got it, 97,000 six months later without any trouble, except with an a/c vent cover. Early on I had the opportunity to drive for several hours in a blizzard with complete confidence. I have also had it on unimproved old logging roads with equal confidence. I would not take it where I would take a 4Runner, but I prefer cabin comforts. The cabin is awesome and the toys are awesome. Front seats are 5 star. This is my favorite car ever. I installed after market transmission and power steering filters as a precaution. The tranny's are suspect. I drive in D4 around town and D5 only over 60 mph.

Transmission vibrates/grinds at 35-40 mph
By kpsmith on 06/24/10 11:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At approximately 30,000 miles, upon acceleration, the transmission would vibrate/grind until 45 mph. I have found this to be a common problem on many Acura forums and there are 11 reports of this exact same problem on the National Highway Transportation and Safety (NHTSA) website. The problem seems to be the transmission torque converter.

Great SUV
By jbgraw on 06/22/10 16:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Plenty of room, hard to fit seven passengers and luggage. excellent fuel economy. 15-18 in town, we consistently get 25-26 on the highway. Average tank is always around 21. Super comfortable on the inside. Great in the winter.

2005 Acura
By DMP on 05/13/10 14:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love this vehicle. Have 77,000 miles on it and no problems whatsoever. Love the touchscreen navigation that can be operated on the go. Bluetooth and Address Book are great too. Leather still looks like new and gas mileage has been great. Averaging over 20 mpg in city and highway driving. Have taken on several long road trips and the seats are great! Best I've ever sat in.

Loved this SUV
By CaptReg on 04/02/10 14:37 PM (PDT)

Bought MDX because it could be towed behind my RV and provide an upscale trim/features than other towable vehicles. Loved this vehicle. Never had a single problem in over 5 years of driving and towing, just scheduled maintenance. Interior has everything and well designed. I'd definitely buy a new one, but the new ones can't be towed - too bad. I highly recommend this vehicle - great family SUV.