Used 2004 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 226 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Perfect, but no Hybrid
By TJP

2004 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We're had our Premium model for almost a year, and we've thoroughly enjoyed it to date. No problems, as you'd expect from a Honda product, excellent comfort and room, and decent power. Fuel economy never has been above 19 mpg, however, despite highway only jaunts. Admittedly, these have been at high speeds (75-80 mph), at which drag would be substantial for a vehicle this size. If we wanted maximum fuel economy, we'd have gotten a Jetta diesel with a trailer for our stuff. For our needs, the MDX has been perfect

Power, room, comfort, styling, utility

Cramped space behind rear seats; not built for fuel economy (diesel or hybrid option would be great if priced less than $2K more than current powertrain)

Pretty Good - but NOT perfect !
By Baltimore Owner

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in Nov 2004 as leftover - got excellent deal (below invoice). Vehicle has had several problems since then: 1. Tire(s): Touring was supposed to have Michelin ONE of the 4 tires was a GOODYEAR !! (dealer fixed) 2. Despite VERY VERY gentle driving, developed shimmy at 7k miles and had brake rotors cut (dealer fixed) 3. Interior speaker cover fell off spontaneously (dealer fixed) 4. Headliner rattles VERY loudly on left side when going over large bumps or RR tracks - Dealer could NOT fix ..

1. Great handling and engine 2. VTM-4 is GREAT system for snow, and unbeatable on icy roads 3. BOSE stereo sounds very good 4. Mileage is pretty good - we get 20- 24 on highway if keep speed under 75 5 Side-curtain airbags (hopefully will never need) 6. Sunroof

1. Quality is not so great - my 4Runner was much better built, had NONE of problems above 2. Dead pedal is NOT in correct spot, is too FLAT 3. Roof rack is a joke - can't even carry a couple kayaks. Make a Thule or Yakima an option and drop the non- standard junk that's up there now ...

I FEEL LIKE IM DRIVING A BUS
By GOLEXUS

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I should have done more homework before buying this vehicle. It is very reliable, because it is built by Honda, otherwise it is horrible. The seats are hard and get VERY uncomfortable on trips. It is very big, not smooth, and needs a better turing radius. It also gets horrible gas mileage, about 16 mpg. I have driven my sisters RX330 and found it is very comforatable and feels like you are driving on a cloud.Plus it has a great turning radius, and the service is great! It also gets 25mpg. Dont buy the MDX, it you want performance and dependable luxury, go to Lexus. I cant wait for my lease to end, to purchase the RX330

The steering wheel...

I feel like I am driving a bus. This car needs to be taking back to the drawingboard and made more comfortable and convenient. Go Lexus, stay away from this vehicle.

MDX=fun, reliable, practical
By MDX Lover

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I researched for two years before purchasing this vehicle. I have an ACURA Legend that has remained reliable with over 180k on it. That helped convince me to stick with ACURA in the SUV department. The MDX feels sturdy, and drive very nicely. You have a commanding feel behind the wheel, and good visibility. The navigation system is awesome. It is more than just an expensive toy. It will give you the confidence to venture into unknown territory without trepidation. I once drove an hour down back roads that didn't show on most maps, and I didn't have a clue as to where I was, or how to get out. Then I used the nav, and it guided me precisely and ACURA-tely back to main roads, and home.

Navigation System, 6 Disk in dash changer, and heated seats. Passenger side mirror that angles down when in reverse, along with the backup camera. Very roomy on the inside.

ACURA should use real wood for inside trim. Seat belt marks plastic badly when let go. Seats should be more sturdy for larger drivers. My driver's seat looks like it has more wear than it should for a vehicle with less than 20k on it.

Crash tested with flying colors
By dscott

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my MDX - it makes me feel really safe when I drive it. I'd had it 3 months with 4K miles when another driver crossed the median and hit me head on (he was uninsured, but that's another story). All the airbags deployed - front, side curtain, passenger. Other than a slightly burned hand from the deploying airbags, and the accompanying muscle aches and pains, I walked away in one piece. All the safety features, including the airbags, did their thing, absorbing the impact. My next vehicle will definitely be another MDX.

Bose speakers are awesome!