Used 2004 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

2 Years of Flawless Ownership
By PC MDX

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have to admit. This is my first SUV, and it is the best on the market by far. I have had no issues, no complaints, and dealer service as been good as well. Buyers of SUV's should evaluate before purchasing, since it took me 3 months to decide between the Lexus RX, the MDX, and the Pilot. The MDX has the best overall performance, features, turning radius and off road ability as comparable to the Pilot. If a person would like to have simple styling, then go with the Pilot. Better exterior styling then go with the MDX, which was the deciding factor for me.

On road performance, and driveability.

Bose Audio could use better speakers.

It's the ultimate driver's machine
By carmin ator

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The MDX is the ultimate driver's machine. The "ultimate driving machine" might be good for short hops from the mansion to the golf course. But the MDX is perfect for hauling 6 humans and luggage for a 10 day road-trip. Handling is crisp and taut. Interior room is adequate for 6 - if you put the kids in the last row. The convenience package is adequate neither underwhelming nor overwhelming. The safety features crumple zones, breakaway mounts, full curtain side airbags, etc. are uptodate. Mileage was a paltry 12-13mpg street and 20-25 hwy. For absolute comfort buy the Navigator; for raw power buy the X5. But if you're on a budget and want an all-round SUV that's awesome to drive buy the MDX.

-Absolutely responsive silky smooth quiet engine that purrs when cruising but can roar when pushed. -Kids and adults alike will love these options: 6-disc CD changer sound system and the DVD rear entertainment system. -Handles superbly. Even the wife agrees that the MDX feels and drives like a car

-Lift the last row seats a little higher so an adult wouldn't have to sit in a fetal position. -Smoother shifting 6-speed auto transmission with electronic shifting or a manual 6/7-speed transmission. -Ability to switch between 2WD and AWD.

Couldn't ask for more.
By minnie

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good acceleration, extremely stable handling, slightly less poorer milage than expected, excellent fit and finish. This car has been extremely reliable and has amazing safety statistics.

Navigation system and overall performance.

slightly higher tow ratings.

I Love My MDX
By lvernacc

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my MDX a year ago after researching and test driving all comparable SUV's. I chose the MDX for the roominess, feel and gas mileage. By far this vehicle handles better than any other in it's class. There is plenty of leg room in all three rows and comes standard with front and side airbags. I would recommend this car to everyone. It comes in handy for traveling with children and teenagers.

There are so many features to choose from!! I love the back up camera and the mirror angle when parallel parking and backing up. The sound system is great!

The only improvement would be to improve the quality of the back up camera. The picture on my screen sometimes appears dark and hard to see. I never knew how much I needed it till I had a loaner MDX without the camer!

Perfect, but no Hybrid
By TJP

2004 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We're had our Premium model for almost a year, and we've thoroughly enjoyed it to date. No problems, as you'd expect from a Honda product, excellent comfort and room, and decent power. Fuel economy never has been above 19 mpg, however, despite highway only jaunts. Admittedly, these have been at high speeds (75-80 mph), at which drag would be substantial for a vehicle this size. If we wanted maximum fuel economy, we'd have gotten a Jetta diesel with a trailer for our stuff. For our needs, the MDX has been perfect

Power, room, comfort, styling, utility

Cramped space behind rear seats; not built for fuel economy (diesel or hybrid option would be great if priced less than $2K more than current powertrain)

• SUV