Used 2004 Acura MDX Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2004 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

A great SUV
By lgq2001

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Got it at 160k. It ran and drove very well. Now it has 190k. No any problems and still runs like new. I really like it.

I really enjoy it
By lgq2001

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Get it from a small dealer with 165k mile on it. It runs and drives always great with such a high mile. Now, it has about 190k, no any problems. really like it. The best SUV on the road.

Great car but some repairs required
By Alex

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall this is a great car, got it back in 2004 brand new, traded up from the Maxima, MDX handles excellently in bad weather, awesome traction. Great room in the back for the kids. I have 90,000 and it started requiring maintenance, so far replaced 2 engine mounts and will be replacing the 3rd one very soon along with the inner tie rod, the rear shocks had to be replaced at 30k. Funny enough I don't do any off road driving or towing, just regular city commute. We'll still keep the car for another 10k and probably trade it for something else.

Favorite Features

Love the roomy interior, good quality materials, great traction-in snow, nice stereo

Suggested Improvements

Improve the mpg, at 90k I am only getting 14.9 mpg

Don't buy
By Steve Jones

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. In the last 5 months, I have spent over a $1000 on the transmission (torque converter and another switch) and another $700 on the power steering (a loud whine). Both of these problems have numerous complaints against them, but Acura won't do anything since it's not under warranty. There are service bulletins out for these issues, but Acura won't do anything until forced to by a recall.

Suggested Improvements

Take responsibility for your faulty parts and design.

I'd buy another X
By kevman1

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been the perfect vehicle for me because: 1. I drive 45 miles to work, so the 25 mpg I get (driving gently) is great. 2. I can fit anything I need to inside, since it can accommodate boards/items 4' wide. 3. I love the way it looks. 4. It was cheaper than all the other SUVs I was looking at. 5. I've had NO major issues with it for 78k miles. 6. I can perform my own maintenance (all 4 fluid changes).

Favorite Features

Easy folding 2nd row seats and FLAT folding 3rd row seats. Relatively easy access for me to perform my own maintenace. Large storage area for a mid-size SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Dual climate control, rear HVAC that remembers its setting after the engine has been shut off, item compartment (including sunglasses) in roof, rear liftgate that opens with the push of a button, buttons on wheel that light up.