2004 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
A great SUV
By lgq2001 on 09/10/14 15:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Got it at 160k. It ran and drove very well. Now it has 190k. No any problems and still runs like new. I really like it.

I really enjoy it
By lgq2001 on 09/09/14 09:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Get it from a small dealer with 165k mile on it. It runs and drives always great with such a high mile. Now, it has about 190k, no any problems. really like it. The best SUV on the road.

2004 MDX reliable after 100,000
By Terry on 08/12/10 11:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my car for 4 years and reached 100,000 miles on it and still a great car to drive and dependable. Only changing the oil and brake pads. No problems with maintenance. This car is amazing while in town or traveling on vacation on the highway. Its an All Weather car also. Forget Toyota or Nissan, Acura has definitely made a quality car to last a long time.

Great car but some repairs required
By Alex on 06/07/10 12:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall this is a great car, got it back in 2004 brand new, traded up from the Maxima, MDX handles excellently in bad weather, awesome traction. Great room in the back for the kids. I have 90,000 and it started requiring maintenance, so far replaced 2 engine mounts and will be replacing the 3rd one very soon along with the inner tie rod, the rear shocks had to be replaced at 30k. Funny enough I don't do any off road driving or towing, just regular city commute. We'll still keep the car for another 10k and probably trade it for something else.

Affordable luxury SUV
By Joe C. on 04/23/10 13:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Driven over 112k in less than 6 years. No mechanical problems. Drives very smooth and still handles/feels like a new vehicle after so long. Some cosmetic problems here and there. Sales person pressured to buy extended warranty, but it is waste of money. Overall a reliable and affordable luxury SUV.

185,000 Miles and still going strong!
By jms112997 on 02/08/10 09:48 AM (PST)

I've owned just about everything, this is the best vehicle I have owned. I still get about 19mpg mixed approaching 200k miles. Ordered it new, all options. Followed all major services thus far. There are not many vehicles out there that can go 2 car seats and a booster wide, have great cargo capacity, handles like a sedan, AWD (fantastic in the Michigan snow), and get great gas mileage, oh and the reliability: I've replaced one light bulb, one tail lightbulb and thats it. It has been in 3 different small accidents and just keeps going. Highly recommend anything honda/acura.

Nice Vehicle
By tfmeisen on 09/29/09 08:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I decided that I wanted a luxury SUV. I drove several different types and I believe that the Acura MDX is one of the best vehicles for your money on the market today. It has the size, and space of an SUV, but rides like a luxury car. The interior is plush and the features are great and easy to use. I had every option except for the navigation and DVD player. It had plenty of power and still got good gas mileage, on a long trip I could get over 22 mpg which is incredible considering the size. The only problems I had: the cruise control broke, and I somehow broke the front motor mount and it was expensive. The other downside is the vehicle has to be serviced by Acura for most things.

Don't buy
By Steve Jones on 09/03/09 18:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. In the last 5 months, I have spent over a $1000 on the transmission (torque converter and another switch) and another $700 on the power steering (a loud whine). Both of these problems have numerous complaints against them, but Acura won't do anything since it's not under warranty. There are service bulletins out for these issues, but Acura won't do anything until forced to by a recall.

Reliable and Comfortable
By Jon R on 07/19/09 13:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 19K mi in 10/2005. I now have 56K mi. The car is extremely reliable and very comfortable. It handles nicely and it is no surprise that you still see so many late MDX's still on the road and still in great shape. For all of the features that you get on this car, it really is a great value. The cars are not cheap, but you get a lot of standard options in these cars that would drive the price up on other comparable models from other brands. Also, the car doesn't seem very big, but my wife and I are amazed at how much room you have inside. They did a great job using the space. It is a great family car and would consider getting a new one.

Honda is Plastically Challanged!
By Ken on 03/12/09 16:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Pretty nice overall, aside from the front air vent falling off in my hand and the rear speaker covers can be easily pried off without tools. The whole interior is bland and it drives like the Queen Mary II.