Used 2003 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Proud Owner
By Timbo

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle new after owning a dodge durango for 5 years. I knew that my dodge had poor gas mileage and poor reliability, but I did not know what else I was missing. The MDX might only have a V6, but I have never been disappointed with the power or acceleration. I also bought the optional towing package and I occasionally tow a 10' utility trailer with no problems. I also enjoy woodworking and being able to get a sheet of plywood in the back is handy (though it is a bit tight). This is the first time I have owned a vehicle and not wanted to sell it to buy something new or better.

Ample horsepower coupled with good fuel efficiency. Comfortable ride, good climate control and sound system. Excellent handling for an SUV. The automatic downward tilting sideview mirrors when in reverse are extremely handy.

I have found that I never use the third row of seats and I leave them stowed 99% of the time. There just isnt enough cargo space behind the third row to leave them up. If you need a third row of seats, go for something bigger than the MDX.

Happy MDX Owner
By Happy MDX Owner

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been an extremely reliable and dependable vehicle to own and to drive. I would recommend highly as either a new and/or used purchase.

Power front seats, reclining rear seats, overall view, storage, automatic climate control, all features in general are all excellent.

Improve highway fuel economy to mid to upper twenties.

Disguised minivan
By bmwguy

2003 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a 1 year old used MDX with 14000k, drove about another 45k over 2.5 years. Roomy, mostly reliable, but NOT sporty. Closest to a minivan in ride and handling. Neither tough enough for offroad nor secure enough for sporty driving. Replaced starter under warranty, but scheduled dealer service pricey with frequent transfer case oil changes. Did I mention my dealer maintained creampuff did not hold value for a trade at an Acura dealer? Don't let Acura tell you this a a luxury car, just because it has leather seats. Mediocre stereo.

Super comfy for 4 adults and golf clubs. Other seating positions for short trips and small kids only. Plenty of get up and go. Just don't follow closely.

Better brakes! Quick stops in traffic can be scary! You will never get the posted highway mileage unless you drive under 60 downhill with a tailwind. Standard Goodyear tires squeal in mild corners. Seat heaters anemic, with passenger seat only heated at the bottom! Roofrack need special adapters.

Smooth, reliable and luxurious
By msghana

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car handles beautifully. You can feel the horsepower as you adjust quickly to high speeds and it is so comfortable. This is my most favorite vehicle purchase ever!

It gives you all the luxury of an overpriced sedan, the power of a much larger truck and the sleekness that drivers who love the driving experience can really indulge in.

Just go ahead and put navigation systems in the truck instead of a trip computer, which is really just truck "make-up" and serves no additional purpose.

Better than my 3 grand cherokees
By george ganem

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have always been pleased with owning this vehicle compared to my previous three grand cherokees. There seems to be less driver compartment room than the jeeps, but the ride is much smoother and quieter. Gas economy is better in the acura. Always felt the acura is a step up from most other suvs. Being 6'4" tall, many other suv models are more crowded in the drivers area.

Sunroof, air & heat system capacity, climate control,dc plug placements, wheel mounted controls, gps system, standard air bags

Widen back of front seats to better accomodate the kidney area. Improve the quality, engineering and general appearance of the vehicle interior.