Used 2003 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Most Helpful|
Great car!
By gardner3

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car overall is great! It's roomy, comfortable, smooth to drive, has power and looks good. The sound system is nice, heated seats work well, seats fold, and I generally had no problems in long drives.

Favorite Features

I love how the car handles and how quiet it is. I had 130,000 miles on the car when I made a bad trade... I wish I had this one back!

Suggested Improvements

I only wish the car had better gas mileage. And I should have put in premium gas the entire time. My fault!

110,000 miles and still going strong
By extremus669

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my MDX in 2005 with ~62K miles on it. It was a certified pre-owned vehicle. I've put almost 50K additional miles on it since and the past four years have been trouble-free. Maintenance includes the occasional fluid changes (oil, VTM, transmission fluids, etc.). The timing belt was also replaced at ~107K per the maintenance schedule. Rides and handles great for a vehicle its size (and age).

Suggested Improvements

Wished VTM was tuned a bit differently (specifically to not automatically engaged from a stop) to improve gas mileage.

Thinking of an '03 Acura MDX? Run Away!!!!!!
By mvegastar

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I have owned a lot of different makes and models in our time, but we have had the WORST experience with our '03 Acura MDX. We are the 2nd owner of the car, clean carfax report, bought it with 48K miles. Owing it less than 4 yrs, not including regular maint such as oil changes, brakes and tires, we have spent over $15k on repairs! Two transmissions, a motor, a paint job and breaking down on vacations twice to name some if it! This car has been a nightmare and Acura could care less since we bought it used. When reading other reviews, the transmission is clearly a problem, but has there been a recall? Nope. I hope sharing our experience will help others avoid the same pain

ACURA ROCKS!!!!!
By ACURA ROCKS

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We love our Acura MDX. If you have children and do a lot of traveling this is the perfect SUV for you. The MDX rides so smooth you barley realize you're moving.

Favorite Features

Leather heated seats, back up mirror and nav

Suggested Improvements

I have not one suggestion for improvement.

Wish it would last forever!
By Mom Driver

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love my MDX and have had no major problems. My brake pads have been replaced several times, common for heavy SUVs. Vent knob spontaneously broke when I touched it a few months ago--sounds like this happens often with MDXs. Plastic trim on driver's seat has come off--also common. So far drive train and transmission work fine, but at 65K, I wonder how long that will last. Don't like style of new MDX as much! Too flashy! Want to keep this one as long as possible.

Favorite Features

Much better ride than the Land Cruiser I had before. Carlike, responsive. GREAT on a long car trip. Kids love it. Navi is solid, but I need the new map DVD which is ~ $100!

Suggested Improvements

Despise the AC controls--no knob to adjust air flow. Must go into touch screen. SUPERannoying. This has been fixed on newer models. Voice-controlled commands=never used gimmick. DVD also not used much now that kids are older.