2003 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Great SUV
By posted1 on 11/25/07 00:32 AM (PST)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great vehicle. It does everything very, very well while doing almost nothing flashy. If this sounds like you, this is your SUV. Safety is top-notch. GPS is excellent safety / convenience feature. Rear entertainment option is beyond value if you have kids. Rear backup camera is now a requirement on any future vehicle after experiencing it in this MDX. This is a must. We test-drove all competitors multiple times and this car won, hands down, in almost every measurable regard. The Lexus RX was quite nice but did not offer the convenience and functionality of this vehicle. BMW was OK at best. Infiniti was "so-what?". Great vehicle with minor opportunities for improvement.

2003 Acura MDX
By Shirley Hoskins on 08/11/07 11:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car drives like a breeze. I had a BMW prior to this MDX and I like the MDX much better. I like Acuras so much, I will never drive anything else.

Best SUV
By jph0025 on 08/08/07 22:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you are looking for a very-well rounded SUV, look no further than the Acura MDX! Its a great looking SUV with available seating for up to 7 passengers. I usually get about 22 mpg overall but recently have been getting about 26/27!!! The touring/navi package is awesome.

Unhappy so far
By carbuyer on 06/22/07 09:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car in Oct '06, pre-owned certified. Since then the vehicle has been in the shop for faulty electrical, steering wheel controls replaced, replaced heated seat sensor, hatch has a short in the light (quits working after about 2 wks), latch door sticks, wipers come on at whim, rattle/shaking at high speed (repair says it is the tires, I purchased new tires, problem still not fixed). Very loud squealing noise happened, something about torque valve - luckily I have the wrap-around coverage. The dealership has been working with me and I really like the car but have been plagued with problems since owning it. My old '93 Mitsubishi ran with 304k without incident. I will stick with Mits.

Not that great for the money
By Allen on 06/18/07 13:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

An expensive SUV with mediocre habits. Drives a lot like a minivan. Reliability problems with radio, steering wheel controls (repeated), power windows (repeated), and occasionally it's difficult to start. For a luxury vehicle, there is a lot of road noise at highway speeds, but almost no wind noise. Window rattles and they can't seem to fix. Black interior is pretty boring, and the buckets are hard. Rumble in fifth gear around town, dealer says "just leave it in fourth". Nice fix. On the plus side, lots of pep, great fuel economy (19-22 all the time) and tons of room inside. The rear visibility is good also, unlike many SUV's. Tire wear is excellent - they don't wear!

Proud Owner
By Timbo on 05/10/07 03:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle new after owning a dodge durango for 5 years. I knew that my dodge had poor gas mileage and poor reliability, but I did not know what else I was missing. The MDX might only have a V6, but I have never been disappointed with the power or acceleration. I also bought the optional towing package and I occasionally tow a 10' utility trailer with no problems. I also enjoy woodworking and being able to get a sheet of plywood in the back is handy (though it is a bit tight). This is the first time I have owned a vehicle and not wanted to sell it to buy something new or better.

Happy MDX Owner
By Happy MDX Owner on 03/30/07 07:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been an extremely reliable and dependable vehicle to own and to drive. I would recommend highly as either a new and/or used purchase.

Disguised minivan
By bmwguy on 03/02/07 11:03 AM (PST)

2003 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a 1 year old used MDX with 14000k, drove about another 45k over 2.5 years. Roomy, mostly reliable, but NOT sporty. Closest to a minivan in ride and handling. Neither tough enough for offroad nor secure enough for sporty driving. Replaced starter under warranty, but scheduled dealer service pricey with frequent transfer case oil changes. Did I mention my dealer maintained creampuff did not hold value for a trade at an Acura dealer? Don't let Acura tell you this a a luxury car, just because it has leather seats. Mediocre stereo.

Smooth, reliable and luxurious
By msghana on 02/07/07 12:14 PM (PST)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car handles beautifully. You can feel the horsepower as you adjust quickly to high speeds and it is so comfortable. This is my most favorite vehicle purchase ever!

Better than my 3 grand cherokees
By george ganem on 09/13/06 21:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have always been pleased with owning this vehicle compared to my previous three grand cherokees. There seems to be less driver compartment room than the jeeps, but the ride is much smoother and quieter. Gas economy is better in the acura. Always felt the acura is a step up from most other suvs. Being 6'4" tall, many other suv models are more crowded in the drivers area.