Used 2003 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

110,000 miles and still going strong
By extremus669

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my MDX in 2005 with ~62K miles on it. It was a certified pre-owned vehicle. I've put almost 50K additional miles on it since and the past four years have been trouble-free. Maintenance includes the occasional fluid changes (oil, VTM, transmission fluids, etc.). The timing belt was also replaced at ~107K per the maintenance schedule. Rides and handles great for a vehicle its size (and age).

Wished VTM was tuned a bit differently (specifically to not automatically engaged from a stop) to improve gas mileage.

Documented transmission problems
By tom

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

With problem after problem for my 03 MDX I thought I heard it all when local acura dealer informed me that one out of four 01-03 mdx's will need the transmission replaced! This from a so called luxury car? Check the web and you'll see it's true. Don't buy this year range, cause you'll have a 25% chance of failure.

It's looks.

For acura to stand behind their problems.

This is a great vehicle
By Bruce

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my MDX for almost 2 years and have not had any problems. I drove it from Ohio to California and averaged 23 MPG. The seats are comfortable, the navigation system superb and the storage area large. It goes great in the Ohio winters too.

Navigation system, superb handling, DVD system which makes long trips kid- friendly.

I'm not overly impressed with the Bose sound system. The JBL in my Toyota Avalon puts it to shame.

Nice ride, poor quality components
By CalJuls

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased our MDX with 41K on it and performance was good for about a year. The room inside is great except the third row - tight fit - the ride is nice. Serious quality issues with interior components and auto seats. Driver regulator bolt snapped in half - cost to repl 1,500 - the finger controls for air vents snapped off - 275.00 ea to repl the vent modules - can't just repl the finger control pieces that snap off. I went to Acura based on their reputation and being a past loyal Honda driver - I am disappointed - hv 97K miles now and getting 18 mpg - all sched main service has been followed. Being told to consider trade in by my dealer 'cause my next regular sched main will be costly - 2K.

Good head room (husband is 6'1) and good leg room for front and second row passengers, nice ride - not too noisy or bumpy. Lots of cargo space with third row down for long road trips. Seat and mirror warmers. Sun roof.

Improve the quality of the interior components and auto seat controls. User friendly wireless DVD head phones.

Good vehicle, but little problems add up
By Jon

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 30K miles - all was fine for 2.5 years. Now, with only 65K miles we have had a lot of minor issues...All A/C vents have fallen off; seat molding on drivers side fell off, rain sensor doesn't work, DVD player stopped working. Like I said, relatively minor, but very frustrating. For a supposedly reliable, well built vehicle I'd expect more. We only drive this about 10K miles per year and don't abuse it. Overall, a good vehicle, reliable and roomy enough for 2 kids in car seats.

smooth ride and comfortable.

improve interior components (vents in particular)

• SUV