Used 2003 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Love it for 160,000 miles!!!
By Ron

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My MDX has been great! I have 160,000 miles and have only had to keep on maintenance schedule (although these can get a bit pricey). I would get this car again and am actually thinking of purchasing a new MDX or RDX. Only negative is that after 150K miles started to get a number of interior rattles - much to be expected after so much use. Speakers are excellent.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling

2003 mdz Tranny Problems
By axelman001

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We love the vehicle when we can keep it on the road. Bought CPO but we keep having tranny problems. Third Transmission in two years. Had same problem with our Odyssey, told problem was fixed by Honda by 2003. Wrong. Rest of car is great.

Favorite Features

dvd and nav system

Suggested Improvements

Fix tranny problems.

Cheap (really!) components
By renman

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great looking car IMHO. And I love driving it, It's got a ton of room and handles nicely. But... the quality of the internal parts... is just ridiculous. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Vents, seat heaters, switches, etc, etc. Parts that should last 5-6 years or longer (cuz they are just not used much) go out after 2-3 years. A slightly better component would cost pennies, add maybe 1/2% to the total price of the car to upgrade all the little things to be reliable. Going to think long and hard before I buy another Acura. It's sad, because other than ALL the little things breaking, it's a great vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Stop using cheap parts.

Good SUV design; Possibly a bad year
By Max

At around 75000, my transmission went out and I've pampered this car since purchase. Luckily still under warranty at the time. Acura says this is highly unusual, though judging from other comments here not exactly so. Have had to replace air vent controls as they keep popping off. I asked Acura as often as this was happening, was this a manufacturer/material's defect or just a poor design (2-piece clip-on). I suspect both. I would expect more from Acura particularly in parts design. All in all a great SUV in general. MPG is about average for SUVs.

Favorite Features

Navi is the best in the business.

Suggested Improvements

Acura has changed air vent controls in current models. Better design and/or materials? Not crazy about the newer 2007-2009 MDX body. Love the older style better, but to each their own.

110,000 miles and still going strong
By extremus669

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my MDX in 2005 with ~62K miles on it. It was a certified pre-owned vehicle. I've put almost 50K additional miles on it since and the past four years have been trouble-free. Maintenance includes the occasional fluid changes (oil, VTM, transmission fluids, etc.). The timing belt was also replaced at ~107K per the maintenance schedule. Rides and handles great for a vehicle its size (and age).

Suggested Improvements

Wished VTM was tuned a bit differently (specifically to not automatically engaged from a stop) to improve gas mileage.