2003 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Transmission problems
By Ron on 05/05/09 18:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I gave a poor reliability rating due to the fact that my transmission went out with only 73,000 mile on it. I can't believe that a SUV of this caliber would have this issue. Warranty ran out at 60,000 miles. Repair cost is $3,167.00. This is a regular problem with 2001 ,2002 and 2003 transmissions.

Love this car!
By muymajo99 on 05/01/09 13:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car used in 2006 and have had an excellent experience. I had had an Acura Legend earlier and had absolutely no problems. I need to say that this car has been a dream. I am looking forward to keeping it at least two more years. Currently I have 84,000 miles and still love it.

Great car, poor fuel efficiency but ...
By Ivan on 01/23/09 10:22 AM (PST)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All in all, a great car. I am happy with my purchase. There's a 3rd row of seats which neatly folds down invisibly which is why I bought it. There are a lot of automatic extras like auto headlights and wipers and rear-view mirrors that dip when reversing that make owning this car a real joy. The MDX is also deceptively spacious and sits tall however handles well. Performance is not an issue either but fuel economy kind of is. At an average 13 MPG in the city, you'd think you were driving a GM. Aside from fuel efficiency (or lack thereof), this is a great family vehicle that looks great even sans-family. The 3rd row is invisible when not in use and it's a Honda so you know it's reliable.

Consistent failures
By techvet on 10/02/08 11:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this MDX certified pre owned last year with 30K miles on it and have had nothing but problems with it. I have been to the dealer 6 times in the last 12 months with various engine lights/codes and what I call the Christmas tree - all error lights go off on the dashboard. Sometimes is fixed with loosening the gas cap but most the time has to go to the shop. The dealer will not honor the pre owned warranty so now I am paying for repairs every few months. I bought for brand and this was not a good idea.

All purpose family vehicle
By Happy Family Man on 08/23/08 11:28 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my MDX used with 64000 miles after I got my wife and father-in-law to leave the Lexus RX300. The ride is very sporty and comfortable. The roominess paid off immediately on a family trip. The navigation screen is big and simple to use, with voice activation, and the rear entertainment system kept the kids quiet and entertained on the whole trip from Texas to South Carolina. The vehicle ran perfect with no problems, just regular oil changes and services. I feel very comfortable putting my wife and kids in this vehicle anytime. The bland exterior should not distract you from the safety and comfort and style you get for the same luxury as Lexus without the 15000 price increase.

80,000 Miles and Still a Great SUV
By Keith on 08/15/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it new in July 2003 for a young family of 5. Road trips, in town, on the beach, in the mountains, deep snow, icy roads, high elevations. It has performed great through all of it. Drove it on NC's beaches on the outer banks and went right past Toyotas stuck in the sand. We now live at 8600' elev. in the Rockies and drive up and down 3000' of elevation change daily, often on unplowed roads. This car is perfectly balanced and always stays in control. We have had no mechanical problems. Only issue has been the seat heater, which quit working a year ago (and very expensive to repair). If I had to do it over again, I definitely would!

Just an excellent vehicle!!!!
By Ron on 06/26/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great vehicle, never had any issues with normal maintenance in 65000 miles.

The problems are starting
By GitaS on 06/16/08 23:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my MDX brand new 4 years ago. Has the most amazing and easy to use navigation system. Reliable drive. Has every feature you could need. Have had some problems though. From the start, I have had problems with starting my car (I live in sunny So. Cal). Battery has been changed twice but still doesn't always fire on the first or even second try. Now as I near 100,000 miles, things are beginning to fall apart. All the features on my steering wheel don't work (including airbag, horn, volume control, cruise cntrl). Passenger seat warmer is kaput. Vent control plastic knob fell off. SVA (or something) sensor failed. The repairs are now getting expensive. Was hoping to drive this for another 100K.

Piece of junk falling apart
By gwen on 06/04/08 08:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2003 MDX a few months ago, a mistake. It had only a little over 60000 miles and is very poorly built. The transmission has problems. The headliner was cut too short and is falling out in the back. The rear window washer is about to fall off. And the right door has a part loose inside that makes a lot of noise when you close it. I would not buy another Acura. This company used to turn out good cars. What happened?

ACURA ROCKS!!!!!
By ACURA ROCKS on 12/12/07 12:18 PM (PST)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We love our Acura MDX. If you have children and do a lot of traveling this is the perfect SUV for you. The MDX rides so smooth you barley realize you're moving.