Used 2003 Acura MDX Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

2 yr 3 month ownership (happy)
By logun

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV for my wife in late 2009 early 2010, with 74,500 miles on it. We've put 23,000 miles on it (+ or -). We've had it dealer maintained as it was from the previous owner (we r 2nd owner). We've made sure to maintain the transmission (both frnt & rear diffs as well) as AWD or 4 x 4 vehicles require this otherwise it breaks. We have replaced shocks, struts, motor mounts, window regulator & a tensioner set. The pwr steering does quit when we hit a large puddle till the belt dries (within a few sec.) Otherwise it's been a great vehicle. She even runs low to mid grade octane gas without issue.

nothing comes to mind here. Overall the SUV is nice, 3rd row seating is cool how it folds and stores. It has performed well in snow & ice. It gets us to and fro. Decent mileage on the hwy about 19mpg maybe 20 if we watch the mph & keep it below 75. avg in the city between 14 to 16mpg. total running cost for the time we've owned the car (gas, oil, car washes & maintenance) is around $4,821.00. Keep in mind that total is any money spent on the MDX again gas, oil, car washes & maintenance.

If you have small children & you are tall you will not have a lot of leg room because of the baby seats & you have to scoot up a bit. I'm 6'6" & my wife is 5'9", she doesn't mind so much as she normally sits close to the dash anyway, me, well not so much. Long trips wouldn't be that enjoyable for me in it due to this. It rides like a truck compared to the '07 & above models, corners too fast feel as if you will tip, not like the 2nd gen models that handle like a car.

Thinking of an '03 Acura MDX? Run Away!!!!!!
By mvegastar

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I have owned a lot of different makes and models in our time, but we have had the WORST experience with our '03 Acura MDX. We are the 2nd owner of the car, clean carfax report, bought it with 48K miles. Owing it less than 4 yrs, not including regular maint such as oil changes, brakes and tires, we have spent over $15k on repairs! Two transmissions, a motor, a paint job and breaking down on vacations twice to name some if it! This car has been a nightmare and Acura could care less since we bought it used. When reading other reviews, the transmission is clearly a problem, but has there been a recall? Nope. I hope sharing our experience will help others avoid the same pain

Great car!
By gardner3

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car overall is great! It's roomy, comfortable, smooth to drive, has power and looks good. The sound system is nice, heated seats work well, seats fold, and I generally had no problems in long drives.

I love how the car handles and how quiet it is. I had 130,000 miles on the car when I made a bad trade... I wish I had this one back!

I only wish the car had better gas mileage. And I should have put in premium gas the entire time. My fault!

Transmission Problems
By RL

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle certified and thank god I did. Three transmissions later and numerous minor fixes. Dont buy any MDX earlier than 2006 or you will be at the dealership often.

Cargo space.

Better build quality

110,000 miles and still going strong
By extremus669

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my MDX in 2005 with ~62K miles on it. It was a certified pre-owned vehicle. I've put almost 50K additional miles on it since and the past four years have been trouble-free. Maintenance includes the occasional fluid changes (oil, VTM, transmission fluids, etc.). The timing belt was also replaced at ~107K per the maintenance schedule. Rides and handles great for a vehicle its size (and age).

Wished VTM was tuned a bit differently (specifically to not automatically engaged from a stop) to improve gas mileage.