Used 2003 Acura MDX Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

I love my MDX
By andy3631

2003 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Acura for about 7 years now and I absolutely love it. I bought it with 70,000 miles on it and I currently have 209,000 miles. I have never had any major problems with it. I actually drove about 2000 miles from Chicago to California and it drove great. I hope to have it for another 200,000 miles.

Would buy it again if not for transmission issues
By texan100

2003 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got CPO MDX after lot of research and consumerReports guide which rated MDX as the BEST suv. I did drive for 5 years and was very happy with my car. I never had major issues and never paid any money from my pocket as it was all under warranty. They did find problem with engine mounts, battery and some tubes that needed cleaning which was all taken care by Acura warranty. I did regular maintenance. Dealer did charge me 600 or so for 60k mile service. Last year I did find that car was not going smooth. It was driving rough sometimes and smooth other times. I also read about transmission issues when it hits 100k. Since mine hit 92k I sold it.

Favorite Features

Loved the space, comfort and ride. It looked stylish and had lot of trunk space! Third row was OK for kids but I never allowed them to sit there as its in crumple zone and i am not sure if its safe if there is a side swipe.

Suggested Improvements

Acura must fix it's transmission issues and make Navigation, rear back up camera Standard in all models. It is strange that when they market their car as premium brand, many mdx's are sold without navigation or rear entertainment systems.

Disguised minivan
By bmwguy

2003 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a 1 year old used MDX with 14000k, drove about another 45k over 2.5 years. Roomy, mostly reliable, but NOT sporty. Closest to a minivan in ride and handling. Neither tough enough for offroad nor secure enough for sporty driving. Replaced starter under warranty, but scheduled dealer service pricey with frequent transfer case oil changes. Did I mention my dealer maintained creampuff did not hold value for a trade at an Acura dealer? Don't let Acura tell you this a a luxury car, just because it has leather seats. Mediocre stereo.

Favorite Features

Super comfy for 4 adults and golf clubs. Other seating positions for short trips and small kids only. Plenty of get up and go. Just don't follow closely.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes! Quick stops in traffic can be scary! You will never get the posted highway mileage unless you drive under 60 downhill with a tailwind. Standard Goodyear tires squeal in mild corners. Seat heaters anemic, with passenger seat only heated at the bottom! Roofrack need special adapters.

Cool
By barg

2003 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is awesome. We went to many places with this car. I would recommend.

Favorite Features

DVD Entertainment

Suggested Improvements

Auto door locks

Solid Car
By Jamesbuffalony

2003 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the Last remaining 2003 model left on the lot for about $700 less than TMV. Car has been wonderful, great in the snow, great ride, wonderful interior quality, engine smooth, transmission pretty good, suspension excellent for an SUV. interior room great, rear seats ok, last row good for kids. mileage typical for an suv (poor). Accidentally closed the garage door on the roof. Acura service was top notch. Very honest professional and courteous. This car is A STEAL for the $$$. And you don't have to deal with the pretensiousness from the german dealers.

Favorite Features

Fully Loaded, Base price. fold flat seats. looks great in black

Suggested Improvements

wish they had better looking wheels