2003 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
I love my MDX
By andy3631 on 03/23/13 00:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Acura for about 7 years now and I absolutely love it. I bought it with 70,000 miles on it and I currently have 209,000 miles. I have never had any major problems with it. I actually drove about 2000 miles from Chicago to California and it drove great. I hope to have it for another 200,000 miles.

2 yr 3 month ownership (happy)
By logun on 05/17/12 13:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV for my wife in late 2009 early 2010, with 74,500 miles on it. We've put 23,000 miles on it (+ or -). We've had it dealer maintained as it was from the previous owner (we r 2nd owner). We've made sure to maintain the transmission (both frnt & rear diffs as well) as AWD or 4 x 4 vehicles require this otherwise it breaks. We have replaced shocks, struts, motor mounts, window regulator & a tensioner set. The pwr steering does quit when we hit a large puddle till the belt dries (within a few sec.) Otherwise it's been a great vehicle. She even runs low to mid grade octane gas without issue.

Thinking of an '03 Acura MDX? Run Away!!!!!!
By mvegastar on 02/21/12 12:17 PM (PST)

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I have owned a lot of different makes and models in our time, but we have had the WORST experience with our '03 Acura MDX. We are the 2nd owner of the car, clean carfax report, bought it with 48K miles. Owing it less than 4 yrs, not including regular maint such as oil changes, brakes and tires, we have spent over $15k on repairs! Two transmissions, a motor, a paint job and breaking down on vacations twice to name some if it! This car has been a nightmare and Acura could care less since we bought it used. When reading other reviews, the transmission is clearly a problem, but has there been a recall? Nope. I hope sharing our experience will help others avoid the same pain

Keeps on going
By rquigley1 on 01/14/12 11:31 AM (PST)

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was the 2nd owner. Bought in 4 years ago with 100k on the odometer. Super reliable. Changed timing belt at 140k and follow the service recommendations. I do all my own work from fluids to plugs etc. Read some posts about a tranny shift problem and noticed a little hesitation around 170k. I did a triple flush of the AT fluid and care is running just fine. I expect to get it to 200k and then buy the current body style acura. Only real problem is a hum in the stereo and loud whine in the rear dvd system after about an hour of operation. For the money- a super car.

Great Ride Except for Transmission
By justman on 09/14/11 16:46 PM (PDT)

I love my MDX, but now have to to trade it in and don't want to or have $5,000 for a new one. These SUVs are known to have transmission problems, wish I would have known that before I spent so much on it. But, I will say, I bought mines brand new and have had it for 8 years with now major issues. Just normally wear and tear. Would love to get another one, but Acura still has issues with the tranny. So, I think I'm going to go green and get a KIA Sorento. Better gas mileage and it doesn't cost so much.

Would buy it again if not for transmission issues
By texan100 on 06/15/11 14:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got CPO MDX after lot of research and consumerReports guide which rated MDX as the BEST suv. I did drive for 5 years and was very happy with my car. I never had major issues and never paid any money from my pocket as it was all under warranty. They did find problem with engine mounts, battery and some tubes that needed cleaning which was all taken care by Acura warranty. I did regular maintenance. Dealer did charge me 600 or so for 60k mile service. Last year I did find that car was not going smooth. It was driving rough sometimes and smooth other times. I also read about transmission issues when it hits 100k. Since mine hit 92k I sold it.

Great car!
By gardner3 on 05/22/11 10:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car overall is great! It's roomy, comfortable, smooth to drive, has power and looks good. The sound system is nice, heated seats work well, seats fold, and I generally had no problems in long drives.

Wish it would last forever!
By Mom Driver on 05/29/10 06:47 AM (PDT)

Love my MDX and have had no major problems. My brake pads have been replaced several times, common for heavy SUVs. Vent knob spontaneously broke when I touched it a few months ago--sounds like this happens often with MDXs. Plastic trim on driver's seat has come off--also common. So far drive train and transmission work fine, but at 65K, I wonder how long that will last. Don't like style of new MDX as much! Too flashy! Want to keep this one as long as possible.

Transmission Problems
By RL on 04/28/10 17:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle certified and thank god I did. Three transmissions later and numerous minor fixes. Dont buy any MDX earlier than 2006 or you will be at the dealership often.

Buyer Beware
By Post Captain on 02/15/10 19:45 PM (PST)

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car brand new and have always maintained it properly, including the replacement of the timing belt at 105K. Since that time it has been a money guzzling machine. Left rear mirror fell out with motor assembly to the tune of $329. Driver's side seat moulding broken along with loose driver's seat. Now I've been told that the power steering is shot, a motor mount is broke, the seal around the left headlight needs to be replaced, among other things. Total anticipated cost $3-5,000. For all Acura says about quality, I don't know that I will buy another one.