2003 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
2 yr 3 month ownership (happy)
By logun on 05/17/12 13:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV for my wife in late 2009 early 2010, with 74,500 miles on it. We've put 23,000 miles on it (+ or -). We've had it dealer maintained as it was from the previous owner (we r 2nd owner). We've made sure to maintain the transmission (both frnt & rear diffs as well) as AWD or 4 x 4 vehicles require this otherwise it breaks. We have replaced shocks, struts, motor mounts, window regulator & a tensioner set. The pwr steering does quit when we hit a large puddle till the belt dries (within a few sec.) Otherwise it's been a great vehicle. She even runs low to mid grade octane gas without issue.

Thinking of an '03 Acura MDX? Run Away!!!!!!
By mvegastar on 02/21/12 12:17 PM (PST)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I have owned a lot of different makes and models in our time, but we have had the WORST experience with our '03 Acura MDX. We are the 2nd owner of the car, clean carfax report, bought it with 48K miles. Owing it less than 4 yrs, not including regular maint such as oil changes, brakes and tires, we have spent over $15k on repairs! Two transmissions, a motor, a paint job and breaking down on vacations twice to name some if it! This car has been a nightmare and Acura could care less since we bought it used. When reading other reviews, the transmission is clearly a problem, but has there been a recall? Nope. I hope sharing our experience will help others avoid the same pain

Great car!
By gardner3 on 05/22/11 10:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car overall is great! It's roomy, comfortable, smooth to drive, has power and looks good. The sound system is nice, heated seats work well, seats fold, and I generally had no problems in long drives.

Transmission Problems
By RL on 04/28/10 17:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle certified and thank god I did. Three transmissions later and numerous minor fixes. Dont buy any MDX earlier than 2006 or you will be at the dealership often.

110,000 miles and still going strong
By extremus669 on 10/21/09 12:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my MDX in 2005 with ~62K miles on it. It was a certified pre-owned vehicle. I've put almost 50K additional miles on it since and the past four years have been trouble-free. Maintenance includes the occasional fluid changes (oil, VTM, transmission fluids, etc.). The timing belt was also replaced at ~107K per the maintenance schedule. Rides and handles great for a vehicle its size (and age).

Documented transmission problems
By tom on 09/17/09 20:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

With problem after problem for my 03 MDX I thought I heard it all when local acura dealer informed me that one out of four 01-03 mdx's will need the transmission replaced! This from a so called luxury car? Check the web and you'll see it's true. Don't buy this year range, cause you'll have a 25% chance of failure.

This is a great vehicle
By Bruce on 09/12/09 08:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my MDX for almost 2 years and have not had any problems. I drove it from Ohio to California and averaged 23 MPG. The seats are comfortable, the navigation system superb and the storage area large. It goes great in the Ohio winters too.

Nice ride, poor quality components
By CalJuls on 09/04/09 13:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased our MDX with 41K on it and performance was good for about a year. The room inside is great except the third row - tight fit - the ride is nice. Serious quality issues with interior components and auto seats. Driver regulator bolt snapped in half - cost to repl 1,500 - the finger controls for air vents snapped off - 275.00 ea to repl the vent modules - can't just repl the finger control pieces that snap off. I went to Acura based on their reputation and being a past loyal Honda driver - I am disappointed - hv 97K miles now and getting 18 mpg - all sched main service has been followed. Being told to consider trade in by my dealer 'cause my next regular sched main will be costly - 2K.

Good vehicle, but little problems add up
By Jon on 08/02/09 10:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 30K miles - all was fine for 2.5 years. Now, with only 65K miles we have had a lot of minor issues...All A/C vents have fallen off; seat molding on drivers side fell off, rain sensor doesn't work, DVD player stopped working. Like I said, relatively minor, but very frustrating. For a supposedly reliable, well built vehicle I'd expect more. We only drive this about 10K miles per year and don't abuse it. Overall, a good vehicle, reliable and roomy enough for 2 kids in car seats.

Great SUV at first
By acura 2003 mdx on 07/08/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in March of 2003 new. Since I bought the vehicle, I had nagging problems and at 82,000 miles I am starting to get a little worried. I've had to replace the starter, ac compressor, vent knobs, cd player, drivers seat heater, hood struts, rear blower. I expected more out of an Acura.