Used 2003 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 293 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

TRANSMISSION
By JB

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car with 43,000 miles on it in Nov 2006. Car was fantastic. When I bought the car I went for the 12 month extended warranty for an extra $1200. About 11 months into owning the car I got a check engine light and flashing D5 light. Took it to the Acura dealer. Trans DEAD!!! They replaced it for free since it was under warranty and gave me a loaner while they did it. So then about 2 years ago I notice the trans slamming into gear. Changed fluid....same crap. So October 2014 D4 blinking light and check engine light AGAIN!!! Car would not switch out 4th gear. I took it to a trans place and had the trans totally rebuilt new Valve body, PC, gears and synchros. The builder took pics of the trans it was HORRIBLE all burned up and stuff. So what Honda does is place the trans cooler into the Rad so I have no idea how but the cooling fluid got into the trans fluid probably because trans cooler in the rad and ruined the trans. So the builder added an EXTERNAL trans cooler. So now just a few days ago.....D5 blinking light. But no check engine light and car drives fine. I took the car back to the builder and he said there were no trans codes in the history or anything. I'm so done with this car. I am VERY VERY disappointed in Honda. All the Honda 5sp Autos are pure garbage and they should be ashamed of themselves. Other than the 2 trans I had to replace the car is awesome. But that trans ruins it! I cant believe Honda acting like they have no idea why this is happening. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR!!!! STAY AWAY!!! But an MDX with the new 6spd auto.

I love my MDX
By andy3631

2003 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Acura for about 7 years now and I absolutely love it. I bought it with 70,000 miles on it and I currently have 209,000 miles. I have never had any major problems
with it. I actually drove about 2000 miles from Chicago to California and it drove great. I hope to have it for another 200,000 miles.

2 yr 3 month ownership (happy)
By logun

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV for my wife in late 2009 early 2010, with 74,500 miles on it.
We've put 23,000 miles on it (+ or -). We've had it dealer maintained as it was from the previous owner (we r 2nd owner). We've made sure to maintain the transmission (both frnt & rear diffs as well) as AWD or 4 x 4 vehicles require this otherwise it breaks. We have replaced shocks, struts, motor mounts, window regulator & a tensioner set.
The pwr steering does quit when we hit a large puddle till the belt dries (within a few sec.) Otherwise it's been a great vehicle. She even runs low to mid grade octane gas without issue.

nothing comes to mind here. Overall the SUV is nice, 3rd row seating is cool how it folds and stores. It has performed well in snow & ice. It gets us to and fro. Decent mileage on the hwy about 19mpg maybe 20 if we watch the mph & keep it below 75. avg in the city between 14 to 16mpg. total running cost for the time we've owned the car (gas, oil, car washes & maintenance) is around $4,821.00. Keep in mind that total is any money spent on the MDX again gas, oil, car washes & maintenance.

If you have small children & you are tall you will not have a lot of leg room because of the baby seats & you have to scoot up a bit. I'm 6'6" & my wife is 5'9", she doesn't mind so much as she normally sits close to the dash anyway, me, well not so much. Long trips wouldn't be that enjoyable for me in it due to this. It rides like a truck compared to the '07 & above models, corners too fast feel as if you will tip, not like the 2nd gen models that handle like a car.

Thinking of an '03 Acura MDX? Run Away!!!!!!
By mvegastar

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I have owned a lot of different makes and models in our time, but we have had the WORST experience with our '03 Acura MDX.
We are the 2nd owner of the car, clean carfax report, bought it with 48K miles.
Owing it less than 4 yrs, not including regular maint such as oil changes, brakes and tires, we have spent over $15k on repairs!
Two transmissions, a motor, a paint job and breaking down on vacations twice to name some if it!
This car has been a nightmare and Acura could care less since we bought it used.
When reading other reviews, the transmission is clearly a problem, but has there been a recall? Nope.
I hope sharing our experience will help others avoid the same pain

Keeps on going
By rquigley1

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was the 2nd owner. Bought in 4 years ago with 100k on the odometer. Super reliable. Changed timing belt at 140k and follow the service recommendations. I do all my own work from fluids to plugs etc. Read some posts about a tranny shift problem and noticed a little hesitation around 170k. I did a triple flush of the AT fluid and care is running just fine. I expect to get it to 200k and then buy the current body style acura. Only real problem is a hum in the stereo and loud whine in the rear dvd system after about an hour of operation. For the money- a super car.