Used 2003 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

I love my MDX
By andy3631

2003 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Acura for about 7 years now and I absolutely love it. I bought it with 70,000 miles on it and I currently have 209,000 miles. I have never had any major problems with it. I actually drove about 2000 miles from Chicago to California and it drove great. I hope to have it for another 200,000 miles.

2 yr 3 month ownership (happy)
By logun

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV for my wife in late 2009 early 2010, with 74,500 miles on it. We've put 23,000 miles on it (+ or -). We've had it dealer maintained as it was from the previous owner (we r 2nd owner). We've made sure to maintain the transmission (both frnt & rear diffs as well) as AWD or 4 x 4 vehicles require this otherwise it breaks. We have replaced shocks, struts, motor mounts, window regulator & a tensioner set. The pwr steering does quit when we hit a large puddle till the belt dries (within a few sec.) Otherwise it's been a great vehicle. She even runs low to mid grade octane gas without issue.

Favorite Features

nothing comes to mind here. Overall the SUV is nice, 3rd row seating is cool how it folds and stores. It has performed well in snow & ice. It gets us to and fro. Decent mileage on the hwy about 19mpg maybe 20 if we watch the mph & keep it below 75. avg in the city between 14 to 16mpg. total running cost for the time we've owned the car (gas, oil, car washes & maintenance) is around $4,821.00. Keep in mind that total is any money spent on the MDX again gas, oil, car washes & maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

If you have small children & you are tall you will not have a lot of leg room because of the baby seats & you have to scoot up a bit. I'm 6'6" & my wife is 5'9", she doesn't mind so much as she normally sits close to the dash anyway, me, well not so much. Long trips wouldn't be that enjoyable for me in it due to this. It rides like a truck compared to the '07 & above models, corners too fast feel as if you will tip, not like the 2nd gen models that handle like a car.

Thinking of an '03 Acura MDX? Run Away!!!!!!
By mvegastar

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I have owned a lot of different makes and models in our time, but we have had the WORST experience with our '03 Acura MDX. We are the 2nd owner of the car, clean carfax report, bought it with 48K miles. Owing it less than 4 yrs, not including regular maint such as oil changes, brakes and tires, we have spent over $15k on repairs! Two transmissions, a motor, a paint job and breaking down on vacations twice to name some if it! This car has been a nightmare and Acura could care less since we bought it used. When reading other reviews, the transmission is clearly a problem, but has there been a recall? Nope. I hope sharing our experience will help others avoid the same pain

Keeps on going
By rquigley1

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was the 2nd owner. Bought in 4 years ago with 100k on the odometer. Super reliable. Changed timing belt at 140k and follow the service recommendations. I do all my own work from fluids to plugs etc. Read some posts about a tranny shift problem and noticed a little hesitation around 170k. I did a triple flush of the AT fluid and care is running just fine. I expect to get it to 200k and then buy the current body style acura. Only real problem is a hum in the stereo and loud whine in the rear dvd system after about an hour of operation. For the money- a super car.

Great Ride Except for Transmission
By justman

I love my MDX, but now have to to trade it in and don't want to or have $5,000 for a new one. These SUVs are known to have transmission problems, wish I would have known that before I spent so much on it. But, I will say, I bought mines brand new and have had it for 8 years with now major issues. Just normally wear and tear. Would love to get another one, but Acura still has issues with the tranny. So, I think I'm going to go green and get a KIA Sorento. Better gas mileage and it doesn't cost so much.

Favorite Features

I just love the MDX overall.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, Transmission, Transmission! Acura really needs to fix this. You spend so much money for it and then it has issues like this that will cost you an arm and leg to fix. Come on Acura!!!