Used 2002 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Most Helpful|
LOVE LOVE LOVE this 2002 ACURA MDX TOURING
By grammyjan1978

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drove this, loved the looks of it, and it has 187,000 and counting. I would buy another one just like it...got it at 54000 at dealer certified and have had no issues whatsoever. I love my Acura. My only question...I just drove to work and for the first time I clicked the four wheel drive VDX button, how can you tell if it goes off...I clicked it and no change...got me to work in 13 inches of snow...

Favorite Features

Naviagation, comfort and dependability of it. only thing that is not the best...getting to seats six and seven....have to be a yoga queen if an adult....curls you right up back there...

Stuck on a Hwy.. Engine Check
By Mr Singapore

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

How can a new MDX like my just stuck on a Hwy.. The engine just let go while I am driving around 130km/hr.. The engine check light is on and I just got enough time to direct my car to the ramp.. This is not fun and a major safty issue.. I WON'T buy ANY ACURA anymore ! The roadside assistance and dealership services is nothing compare to Infinit provide..

Favorite Features

Nothing..

Suggested Improvements

Safty, relaibility, quality.. That is a family man looking for.. and MDX is not giving me those.. I plan to trade in my and go for a Lexus or BMW..

Very Dissapointing for $40K!
By RedMDX

2002 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

For $40K this has been a dissapointment to say the least...even if it cost $30K we'd be dissapointed....it's spent way too much time in the shop and there are still many things that the dealership says are normal, but they sure are annoying. We've had to have the entire VTM (4 wheel drive system) replaced..now the tranny is being recalled! 2 other minor recalls as well. Tires are shot at 30K! gas mileage at 16/18 vs. window of 18/23...and we are easy drivers. Used to get 16/18 out of full sized V-8 Chevy Tahoe and on regular gas!!

Favorite Features

None at this point. It's going to get traded soon and we'll be done with it!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of brake problems. Fix gas tank slosh. Lit steering wheel controls. Fix driver's seat movement/slop. Replace cheap interior components with materials befitting a $40K vehicle. Make basics like body side moldings/ mud flaps std.

2002 Acura MDX
By Mad in Big D

2002 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought an MDX. The transmission died within 30 days! 4500.00 to fix! NO MORE ACURAS for me. And, it is the SECOND time! First replacement was in 2004

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission issues. A so called "luxury" car with tranny issues like this one is absolutely without excuse.

Honda should stick to motorcycles
By sadmatt

2002 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

What a joke. Service, and all dealers just downright rude. So you wait four months to find out the thing starts sometimes and not others. I can see why Toyota is the largest and richest automobile producer in Japan. This overpriced mini Van (what was I on when I bought this?) is just that. Buy a RX300 and be done with it. If you need to haul anymore than that wait for the new bigger Lexus. The service and car is much better.

Favorite Features

Are you kidding?

Suggested Improvements

Stick to kids cars like Civic's and make more motorcycles. Maybe just give up and stop selling cars in the U.S. (oh, that is the only place Honda sells cars...I wonder why...)