Used 2002 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

BEST CAR I HAVE OWNED
By rgaray

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased a pre-owned 2002 MDX over a month ago and to say that i am satisfied with this vehicle would be a huge understatement. This SUV drives and handles like a sedan, has the cargo space of a minivan and the ruggedness of an suv. I did a lot of research and test drove a couple of vehicles before my purchase(ML 320 being one) and am happy i made my decision to purchase the MDX.

Favorite Features

The interior is very roomy and for me being a big guy(6'3") that is important. The bose sound system with 6 disc in dash changer and 200 watts stereo system in the touring model is excellent. Steering wheel mounted audio controls is an excellent feature. Fuel economy is very good for an suv.

Suggested Improvements

None that i can think of. To me this car comes as close to a perfect 10 as any car i ever had(this is my fourth vehicle).

2002 Acura MDX Love Affair
By bccarguy90

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2002 Acura MDX has been a flawless partner in all that I have asked of it. Aside from damage caused by accidents, there have been no problems and power has proved more than adequate. It is extremely comfortable particularly on long hauls and can carry anything from garbage to people easily. This is my top pick in the lux SUV category.

Hope This Helps
By mikelevels

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did a lot of research before buying this car. I got the list down to MDX and Pilot, the Honda version of the same car, because I carry large speakers and needed a 49" wide car. There were no used Pilots at the time, so the MDX was it. Like everyone else, I had the transmission problem and eventually had it replaced under warrantee with no questions asked. Make sure you buy a certified car with an extended power train warrantee. Great highway cruiser. 4 hour trips are no problem. If it got stolen, I'd get a Pilot to replace it.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the Navi system. I didn't want it at first but now I cant live without it. I travel a lot and I love being able to find the closest restaurant or gas station.

Suggested Improvements

The car seems to be built lightly. We also have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder that seems to be built better. Check out MDXs and Pilot next time you're in a parking lot, they all have dimples in the sides because the outer skin is so thin. I have a couple and I don't know where they came from.

Still Happy
By Kenny a.

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I still love my MDX. the car has 95,000 miles on it and I am torn between replacing it with another or waiting to the new model comes out. I did have a few problems (transmission replaced at 35,000 miles & need a new motor mount at 90,000). But I still love the car. Acura has been wonderful auto company to deal with.

Favorite Features

Nav system. The seats are very comfortable. I can drive this car 200 miles and see a client still feeling fresh.

Suggested Improvements

The climate control lay out and location could be improved. My wife does not like where the clock is.

decent car...Terrible transmission
By JohnA.Feer

2002 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a good car short term. After my second year owning this car a bunch of lights came up on the dashboard. After getting it checked, weeks later the transmission starting to fail. acura has honda products including the transmission, and honda is known for the worst transmission. The car starting bucking and did not get into gear, and would have trouble reversing. Very comfy, nice options, but just bad transmission, and sunroof.

Favorite Features

6 disk Cd changer, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, Fuel economy