2002 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
MDX Touring with NAV
By RCTANNING on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We researched, and test drove them all. The MDX on our first trip was a dream to drive. The car type ride, performance ,luxury feel, full size, and egonomics sold us. 26 MPG freeway driving. I and friends strongly recommend it.

Good SUV, crunchy brakes
By ParkerMDX on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, this is a great vehicle. I noticed when it had about 6,000 miles that when I would come to a stop (mostly after it sat idle for a bit) that the brakes make a "crunching" noise. I took it in for it's 7500 mile check and it passed. I recently took it back in for the 15K check and verbalized the same concern. They could find nothing wrong and said that even some of the sedans made the same noise and that was typical for Acura's. There have been no safety issues, but that same noise continues.

Fix the Clicking
By shortyjw on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car after driving many and doing our research. Love the car, but hate the clicking noise the brakes make every time you switch gears. We've had it in for service and called Acura's customer help line. Everyone says this noise is normal. It doesn't sound normal- especially for a car made by Acura that sells for almost $40,000. Dissappointed that Acura doesn't seem to think this is a problem, nor are they trying to fix it.

? paint problem
By WifesSUV on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love the MDX however have had one disconcerting observation. The paint seems to chip quite easily.I have now noticed a paint bubble on the hood. I have owned nearly every make of auto and am somewhat concerned about the integrity of the finish on this vehicle. Futhermore, I have noticed this on other MDXs in parking lots. I found a newer MDX with a 3-4 mm rusted rock chip on the hood in a parking lot. This seems odd. I would be interested in getting feedback from other owners.

Excellent SUV for
By SusanY on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a fantastic vehicle for me and my family. Comfortable for long drives as well as long commutes. Gas mileage is good for a large vehicle and reliability has been perfect. We see the dealer only for scheduled maintenance -- and our dealership offers service well beyond what we expect every time.

LOVE MY MDX
By MacGyver on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was in the market for a SUV and had read positive reviews on the MDX from leading car magazines and it was name as a Best Buy in Consumer Reports Magazine as well. It drives like a car build has the room of an SUV and handles great in the snow! It also has comes very nicely equipped for a a base model so much so I didn't see the need to spend an extra $2500.00 on the touring package!

ranieri
By vranieri1 on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife totaled her vehicle and is still alive due too the excellent safety features incorporated into this SUV. If you have this vehicle consider yourself safe and if you want this vehicle consider purchasing the MDX.

Very satisfied Honda/Acura convert
By ArmyofTwo on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was looking for a replacement for my 97 Explorer Limited. Tested the BMW X5 & the Volvo XC90 both were impressive. The BMW had limited cargo space & the XC90 felt underpowerd for the weight and leary of 1st model year. Tried the MDX and found it very roomy, comfortable & excellent "bang for the buck". Great car with the power & economy balance that more than satisfies me. Friends & family that have owned Honda products swear by them for reliability & endurance; features reinforced my buying decision. I am not a tree-hugger but I am pleased that the vehicle meets ULEV standards.

Honda quality
By Klinie Kent on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

You just can't beat Honda/Acura quality. We researched several SUV's before we purchased the MDX and it won hands down. The only other SUV we considered was the BMW X5. The MDX third row seat, not to mention about 10 grand less, made the choice very easy. One other thing to look at is standard features. Acura has basically no options, it is all standard. That is where the big price difference was with the MDX vs. X5!! Good luck, you won't go wrong with anything from Honda.

Love this MDX
By sdf97215 on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been looking for a replacement vehicle for my 95 Subaru Legacy for 2 years. Nothing turned me on til I tried out the Acura MDX. It was comfortable for me right off the bat. I ended up purchasing a 8 month old MDX instead of a new one. It has the Navigation system which is neat but not a requirment. This vehicle is a great car but does lack some of the luxury refinements that you would find in upscale vehicles such as the Lexus, BMW, etc.