2002 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Very Dissapointing for $40K!
By RedMDX on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

For $40K this has been a dissapointment to say the least...even if it cost $30K we'd be dissapointed....it's spent way too much time in the shop and there are still many things that the dealership says are normal, but they sure are annoying. We've had to have the entire VTM (4 wheel drive system) replaced..now the tranny is being recalled! 2 other minor recalls as well. Tires are shot at 30K! gas mileage at 16/18 vs. window of 18/23...and we are easy drivers. Used to get 16/18 out of full sized V-8 Chevy Tahoe and on regular gas!!

What an AWESOME SUV!
By RichGilb on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is an AWESOME SUV. I HIGHLY recommend this vehicle. It sits high and has wonderful traction. The wide wheel base makes it feel like a panther over bumpy terrain. In fact, it is surprisingly spacious inside. It is sure-footed on any type of road surface or weather condition. The all- wheel drive is one of the most sophisticated in the industry. Try it and you'll see why. The VTEC engine is an animal! Very smooth, and sufficiently powerful. Acura reliability and performance. The Navigation system is one of the best on the market. The voice is excellent and pleasant, and it ties into the stereo system seemlessly.

Not first choice but LOVE it!
By nbg on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was not the vehicle that I was going to buy but I decided to test the 2002 Acura MDX Touring and ended up with one.I grow to love this car more each day.This preowned came with a DVD player which is a godsend when taking trips with our two kids. I car pool to two different schools as well and can comfortably carry 5 kids and backpacks with no problems (ages 10-13). All sports gear fits (we play hockey) as well.Mileage: 17 city/21.5 hwy NOTE: Complaint to dealer re: rear brake noise was met with add on trim kit for the rear brakes. Now no noise and covered under warranty.

Excellent all around
By rroushdy on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent handling, fun to drive, kids love it very comfortable and well disgnd interior.

Ready anytime!
By dboe on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great utility vehicle, while having nice style, and good comfort. Acceleration is brisk, and handling is above average for any vehicle in it's class. It is very stable on the road, at speed and/or under windy conditions. Space utilization is great. While it easy to load it up, the towing capacity is on the small side. Mileage is not bad for the weight of vehicle. Brakes are just adequate. They should be better, this is not an easy vehicle to snub down from speed quickly. Interior materials are on the cheap side. But so far everything seems to be holding up just fine.

Mike's Acura MDX Review
By mikedhilljr on 12/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are very pleased to have purchased the 2002 Acura MDX. The outstanding exterior styling is matched with outstanding performance. Not the most powerful engine in the world, but more than sufficient for its purpose. This vehicle is highly recommended.

Too many unexplained noises
By JYMDX on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like the MDX, like the way it looks, like the gas mileage (but not the required premium gas). The only complaint I have so far is the noise the brakes make (which we're told is normal) and little rattles that appear out of no where. It sounds like it's metal hitting metal somewhere in the second row seats. The slighest bump in the road brings on the rattle. The dealership was unable to find anything. Currently I have an old towel rolled up between the seat the metal piece that it locks onto. So far this week, I haven't heard the noise again. If I don't get rid of this noise, the car will have to go because it drives me nuts!

great choice
By Kmac on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Nearly 2 years later and I still love it.

2002 Acura MDX Touring
By Carol F on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I've ever owned-a joy to drive. Everything seems well thought out. Stability was important to me, because my last SUV (not an Acura) was so unstable I nearly lost control of it on the freeway when I had to make a quick correction. The MDX is steady as a rock. After driving it for a year, I am as delighted with it now as when I bought it. It has been problem free.

Great Vehicle
By jsdtbd on 10/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have read the most recent reviews (from Aug 2003 to present) and I agree, there is a 'clunking' sound with the brakes when changing gears. Concerned me at first but realized it was 'normal'. However, something should be done about it in future models.I have had no problems with paint-thankfully! We did purchase this vehicle based on Consumer Guide. It has met all of our expectations. It is pricey and you will pay full sticker for one. But very enjoyable to drive.