Used 2002 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Mixed Bag
By Aaron

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After looking at a ton of Suvs I finally decided to go with a 2002(55k) MDX. Everything was great with the car until strange noises started to occur. Mainly between 35-40mph. It sounded like running over rumble strips. The problems just got worse from there. Rough shifting, clunking, etc. I went and tried to find an answer for this problem and discovered that transmission problems in these vehicles are pretty common. I love this car but the transmission is a HUGE issue for me. I am very disappointed with this vehicle and I will not be buying another Acura product.

Leather, Sound System, Third Row Seating, Nav

Fix the stinking transmission!

02 MDX
By bill_tiffany_jr

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The MDX has been great although the 02 is well known for transmission failure. Mine gave out at 60K. There are hundreds and hundreds of similar stories, even at much lower mileage levels. You will here a "burr"ing sound between 40 - 50 MPH while traveling in 5th gear. Talk to your dealer and to Acura customer service in order to get a new transmission heavily discounted or best case, for free, even when you are out of warranty.

I Would Buy Another
By Freddie

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I test drove several SUVs before selecting this one. We selected it in part because it has the drive and comfort of a car unlike the truck feel of many others. The body style is great (didn't change for a few years). We like the reliability, overall style, navigation system, and mileage (is still very good). After 143,000+ miles & over 7 year it still looks and drives great. A new transmission was installed a few months before the extended warranty expired so we incurred no extra cost. No other major work has been needed. Two times the navigation malfunctioned but shortly corrected itself. We need to update our navigation CD because some locations can't be found.

I like the seat memory because my husband and I alternate driving the SUV. With the push of a button, my seat position is restored. Especially like the navigation recalculation feature if you go off the route and the fold out that holds coffee mugs/cups in both front and rear compartments.

The third seat is very tight so only a small person or young child can sit comfortably. It would be good to have a little more leg room.

Fun to Drive, but Expensive
By mattb

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My first time with a luxury SUV, which I researched prior to buying. At 40K miles, the transmission needed to be replaced!!! But they did it thanks to buying it pre-owned, pre-certified - would have cost 7K. This car handles very well and has gotten me out of more than a few accidents. Power about right and handles extremely well, is extremely comfortable.

Sporty ride and feel. I liked the navigation and control features. 3rd row was nice, but a little cramped and difficult to access.

Paint does chip a little easy. All owners beware about the transmission problem. Routine maintenance is very expensive and so is the premium fuel.

2002 Acura MDX
By Mad in Big D

2002 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought an MDX. The transmission died within 30 days! 4500.00 to fix! NO MORE ACURAS for me. And, it is the SECOND time! First replacement was in 2004

Fix the transmission issues. A so called "luxury" car with tranny issues like this one is absolutely without excuse.

• SUV