2002 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
The wonder car
By Elizabeth on 03/22/10 12:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our family was in an accident on the freeway, where we lost control of the car due to slick road surface and were hit 2 times by other cars as we spun toward the fast lane. When we took stock of each one of us in the car, we were all okay. One of the airbags went off and the car was totaled. The next day, we found another Acura MDX and are very glad to drive such a safe and reliable car. We are certain many other cars would not have protected us in that situation.

Three transmissions!
By Ken on 02/15/10 15:28 PM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife really liked the Acura's size and features. When we first got it, it certainly was smooth and quiet; much more refined than the 1996 Grand Cherokee we had before. It was a good size and she loved the touchscreen navigation. It was a little disappointing that the MDX didn't have some luxury features that the six-year old Jeep did, like automatic headlights and day/night outside mirrors. Overall she and I liked the car. The trouble started at 37000 miles when the first transmission went out. It was replaced. It broke again and was replaced at 87000 miles and we discovered this is a well-known and chronic problem with Acura's transmissions. I cannot recommend early decade MDX's.

Buyer Beware
By Tom on 01/02/10 17:57 PM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Tranny went at 66,000, and I am having problems again at 140,000! If not for this major issue I love it. Gas mileage OK

3 years and still going strong
By drhibert on 12/23/09 09:15 AM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '02 MDX in '06 with 64,000 miles on it. I have not had any problems with it in the last 3 years. I keep up with regular maintenance - that's it. I can regularly get 20-22mpg around town, and up to 26 highway. Pretty good for an SUV. I'm up to 120,000 miles and it still drives and looks great. There's a weird 'pop' noise when going back into drive after being in reverse, but it's been there since I bought it and has never caused any problems. To my understanding, it is common to most '02 MDXs.

Mixed Bag
By Aaron on 06/03/09 15:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After looking at a ton of Suvs I finally decided to go with a 2002(55k) MDX. Everything was great with the car until strange noises started to occur. Mainly between 35-40mph. It sounded like running over rumble strips. The problems just got worse from there. Rough shifting, clunking, etc. I went and tried to find an answer for this problem and discovered that transmission problems in these vehicles are pretty common. I love this car but the transmission is a HUGE issue for me. I am very disappointed with this vehicle and I will not be buying another Acura product.

02 MDX
By bill_tiffany_jr on 03/06/09 15:12 PM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The MDX has been great although the 02 is well known for transmission failure. Mine gave out at 60K. There are hundreds and hundreds of similar stories, even at much lower mileage levels. You will here a "burr"ing sound between 40 - 50 MPH while traveling in 5th gear. Talk to your dealer and to Acura customer service in order to get a new transmission heavily discounted or best case, for free, even when you are out of warranty.

I Would Buy Another
By Freddie on 11/22/08 07:05 AM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I test drove several SUVs before selecting this one. We selected it in part because it has the drive and comfort of a car unlike the truck feel of many others. The body style is great (didn't change for a few years). We like the reliability, overall style, navigation system, and mileage (is still very good). After 143,000+ miles & over 7 year it still looks and drives great. A new transmission was installed a few months before the extended warranty expired so we incurred no extra cost. No other major work has been needed. Two times the navigation malfunctioned but shortly corrected itself. We need to update our navigation CD because some locations can't be found.

Fun to Drive, but Expensive
By mattb on 09/02/08 16:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My first time with a luxury SUV, which I researched prior to buying. At 40K miles, the transmission needed to be replaced!!! But they did it thanks to buying it pre-owned, pre-certified - would have cost 7K. This car handles very well and has gotten me out of more than a few accidents. Power about right and handles extremely well, is extremely comfortable.

2002 Acura MDX
By Mad in Big D on 07/16/08 09:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought an MDX. The transmission died within 30 days! 4500.00 to fix! NO MORE ACURAS for me. And, it is the SECOND time! First replacement was in 2004

Best mid-size suv on the market period!!
By Mickey on 06/15/08 09:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my MDX and would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone. The styling, features, performance capabilities on this vehicle was everything I could have hoped for. Driving the MDX you feel like your in control of the road. It hugs the turns like a race car. The MDX is sporty, safe, and very roomy inside. I love my MDX!!