Used 2002 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Very pleased
By MDX Rocks

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just had our 7,500 mile service, and I can't praise this vehicle enough. Great power, looks, comfort, reliability. Having driven 330 miles through a serious snow storm on Christmas Eve, I feel qualified to say that the 4WD works extremely well. You can buy an X5 with options to match the MDX for thousands more, and you still won't be able to do anything about the space deficit. The extra seats and cargo space are VERY nice to have. If you want to be able to say "I drive a BMW", that's understandable - my wife and I just bought a 530i. But if you want value, the MDX is the clear choice.

Favorite Features

Reliability/quality, 4WD system, navi system, engine power, six-disc CD changer, sound system, seat comfort, third row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the fake interior wood (either use the real thing or replace it with some other type of trim)and see if you can fit a full size spare. My other thoughts are taken care of in the 2003.

noisy ride
By RLJEB

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle for the supposed reliability and extra seating capability. After approximately 1,000 miles I began to notice a high pitch ringing noise when going over 30mph. I have taken the MDX back to the dealer 3 times for repair to no avail. Also, whenever I change gears (i.e. go into reverse after being in park) the is a loud thud when braking. Dealer tells me this a normal characterisitc of the MDX's brake callipers (sp?) adjusting. Who knows? What I do know is that I am unhappy with the entire Acura experience. I paid close to $40,000 for a noisy vehicle which I do not enjoy driving.

Favorite Features

Third seat. Exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Engine noises! More durable interior. Make an engine that will accept regular fuel.

MDX rules over any other SUV.
By tedpacificNW

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning a 99 Ch-eep Grand J-erokee for 3+ years and spending WAY TOO MUCH MONEY on minor and MAJOR repairs (after the warranty expired, of course), I purchased the 2002 MDX. Although the price on the MDX is much more than the Jeep, I'll most likely be saving money over time. The quality and craftsmanship of the MDX is by far superior than the JGC and I believe 90+ percent of all suv's on the market. This is the best SUV for golfers, because golf clubs fit like a glove in this SUV. If you're looking for a smooth, comfortable, no-rattle, luxury ride, this is the SUV to buy.

Favorite Features

Room, comfort, stereo 6 disc changer, no rattles, bun warmers, powered memory seats, the list goes on and on.

Suggested Improvements

When making sharp turns, there's a lull as if the front wheels were turned 90 degrees.

No complaints at all
By JohnT

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After two years with my MDX I'm pleased to say that I have not had a single problem with this vehicle. It's fun to drive and has a lot of space. I put two child car seats in the back and still easily fit an adult in that row. Downside: It's not truck-like enough to be "cool" and it's not mini-van-like enough to be superbly useful. I was looking for a hybrid of these two things and while this is the best compromise there is, the MDX is not quite the best of both worlds. More luxurious than an Explorer, more spacious than an RX300, less expensive than a BMW, cooler (somewhat) than a minivan.

Favorite Features

Drives well, strong engine, great heat/AC system, Great Stereo, very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Road/wind noise need to be muffled. I've gotta turn that stereo way up when I'm on the highway! City gas mileage is a disappointment

2002 MDX Touring Nav
By valandshark

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's been a wonderful SUV. Good acceleration and car-like handling. Lots of versitility with the third row seating. The only suggestion I'd give Acura would be to have a bit more storage space behind the third seats (almost none when the seats are in use). I test drove all of the competition and it blew them all away, and has lived up to my expectations.

Favorite Features

I'd have to say the favorite features is the excellent Acura/Honda build quality. The materials are very well put together, and the vehicle has a very tight feel.

Suggested Improvements

Give them away to people who love them as much as I do (hint hint hint).