2002 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Great Car!
By jbirken on 05/14/13 19:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 02 MDX new from the dealer. I have had it now for 10 years and have over 235K miles on it. No major repairs at all. I read about transmissions, struts repairs, etc but I have seen none of it. A great family car. Very reliable. Never failed me. The transmission finally went recently (no complaints after 235K miles) and I want to get another one. I do get worried from what I am reading here at times but for me the car was well worth the $$$ spent.

Very Happy With Purchase So Far
By twelborn on 11/10/11 15:30 PM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My dad and I found this 2002 Acura MDX with around 101,000 miles on it for around $12,000. Was a little off-put with the miles at first, but after I drove it I absolutely loved it. Luxury cars' engines last better than normal cars, you get a better car for the buck too. It provides smooth acceleration and provides an overall very comfortable ride. Was using unleaded-plus fuel at first, but then the ride got a little shaky. Switched back to straight-up premium and the engine performance and fuel economy became much better. I love the Bose sound system in the car, good and clean audio deliverance. Very happy with this car. As long as you do regular maintenance, you shouldn't have problems.

Worried after reading......
By hdavis39 on 12/28/10 21:21 PM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my MDX. I am worried now that I have read the significant issues people have had with their transmission. I pray that I will not. I have over 163,000 miles on my car now and have never had any major issues. I changed the timing belt just to avoid future problems when I did a major maintenance. I will say with regard to safety that this vehicle has been safe. I have six children and I have had several people hit me and I rear ended someone once. The only damage to my car were mere scratches. It is built like a tank. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones but so far I cannot complain. This is the best car that I have ever driven.

I feel betrayed
By no more acuras on 08/28/10 08:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Let me start off by saying I loved my Acuras. Had an RL that was the best i owned. It failed on me and traded for the MDX. Loved the MDX, best in class, dream car. Then the probs w the tranny started. Thank God I bought it certified. 100 mi before expiration they replaced it free, but right at 12 mos later it's crapping again. I feel like my spouse cheated on me. For something I love to cause me this much pain, I'll never buy another Acura. To fix it will cost more than I owe it. They may have gotten better, but they lost me for good this time. The RL was bad enough when I replaced the window motor on 3 windows and at 105k the engine died. Can you tell I'm bitter? Sorry, i don't want to be.

Transmissions
By Tom on 08/09/10 14:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Stay away from this vehicle. Buyer beware. I had my tranny replaced at the dealer after numerous issues, in fact I had to take it to a different dealer who said yes after 109KM it needs a new tranny. Now I need another 139 KM it died. I called Acura? Honda Canada only to be told too bad it is past warranty (which it is). I repeatedly told them that there have been major issues with this model and specific problem to which the reply was. No there hasn't! Please Google 2002 acura mdx transmission issues before you make a major mistake.

The wonder car
By Elizabeth on 03/22/10 12:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our family was in an accident on the freeway, where we lost control of the car due to slick road surface and were hit 2 times by other cars as we spun toward the fast lane. When we took stock of each one of us in the car, we were all okay. One of the airbags went off and the car was totaled. The next day, we found another Acura MDX and are very glad to drive such a safe and reliable car. We are certain many other cars would not have protected us in that situation.

Buyer Beware
By Tom on 01/02/10 17:57 PM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Tranny went at 66,000, and I am having problems again at 140,000! If not for this major issue I love it. Gas mileage OK

3 years and still going strong
By drhibert on 12/23/09 09:15 AM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '02 MDX in '06 with 64,000 miles on it. I have not had any problems with it in the last 3 years. I keep up with regular maintenance - that's it. I can regularly get 20-22mpg around town, and up to 26 highway. Pretty good for an SUV. I'm up to 120,000 miles and it still drives and looks great. There's a weird 'pop' noise when going back into drive after being in reverse, but it's been there since I bought it and has never caused any problems. To my understanding, it is common to most '02 MDXs.

Mixed Bag
By Aaron on 06/03/09 15:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After looking at a ton of Suvs I finally decided to go with a 2002(55k) MDX. Everything was great with the car until strange noises started to occur. Mainly between 35-40mph. It sounded like running over rumble strips. The problems just got worse from there. Rough shifting, clunking, etc. I went and tried to find an answer for this problem and discovered that transmission problems in these vehicles are pretty common. I love this car but the transmission is a HUGE issue for me. I am very disappointed with this vehicle and I will not be buying another Acura product.

02 MDX
By bill_tiffany_jr on 03/06/09 15:12 PM (PST)

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The MDX has been great although the 02 is well known for transmission failure. Mine gave out at 60K. There are hundreds and hundreds of similar stories, even at much lower mileage levels. You will here a "burr"ing sound between 40 - 50 MPH while traveling in 5th gear. Talk to your dealer and to Acura customer service in order to get a new transmission heavily discounted or best case, for free, even when you are out of warranty.