Used 2002 Acura MDX Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Great Car!
By jbirken

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 02 MDX new from the dealer. I have had it now for 10 years and have over 235K miles on it. No major repairs at all. I read about transmissions, struts repairs, etc but I have seen none of it. A great family car. Very reliable. Never failed me. The transmission finally went recently (no complaints after 235K miles) and I want to get another one. I do get worried from what I am reading here at times but for me the car was well worth the $$$ spent.

Room, Drives Great.

Very Happy With Purchase So Far
By twelborn

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My dad and I found this 2002 Acura MDX with around 101,000 miles on it for around $12,000. Was a little off-put with the miles at first, but after I drove it I absolutely loved it. Luxury cars' engines last better than normal cars, you get a better car for the buck too. It provides smooth acceleration and provides an overall very comfortable ride. Was using unleaded-plus fuel at first, but then the ride got a little shaky. Switched back to straight-up premium and the engine performance and fuel economy became much better. I love the Bose sound system in the car, good and clean audio deliverance. Very happy with this car. As long as you do regular maintenance, you shouldn't have problems.

I love the fuel economy gauge in the center console. Not only did it allow me to adjust my driving habits to get better fuel economy, it has also made me an overall safer driver. The Bose sound system - clean high frequencies, full mid-range, and a nice punch to the low-end frequencies. Performance - sure, it isn't a sports car, but that's not why you get this sort of vehicle. It provides more than enough horsepower to smoothly and comfortably get you to your destination as well as the occasional passing power on the highway with semis.

The only thing that I would make one suggestion to change is nothing big. Just the fact that the doors do not lock and unlock automatically when putting the car into park or into gear. Honestly, though, there is nothing wrong with this vehicle. I love it so much!

Worried after reading......
By hdavis39

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my MDX. I am worried now that I have read the significant issues people have had with their transmission. I pray that I will not. I have over 163,000 miles on my car now and have never had any major issues. I changed the timing belt just to avoid future problems when I did a major maintenance. I will say with regard to safety that this vehicle has been safe. I have six children and I have had several people hit me and I rear ended someone once. The only damage to my car were mere scratches. It is built like a tank. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones but so far I cannot complain. This is the best car that I have ever driven.

I like the space since I have 6 children. It is comfortable and the leather seating is nice. The main thing that I love the best is that I feel safe in my car and I feel like my children are safer than they would be in another car.

My CD player stinks. I have had to replace it 3 times and finally gave up and can only listen to the radio. The rear heater went out and was too expensice to repair. I really have not complaints other than this.

I feel betrayed
By no more acuras

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Let me start off by saying I loved my Acuras. Had an RL that was the best i owned. It failed on me and traded for the MDX. Loved the MDX, best in class, dream car. Then the probs w the tranny started. Thank God I bought it certified. 100 mi before expiration they replaced it free, but right at 12 mos later it's crapping again. I feel like my spouse cheated on me. For something I love to cause me this much pain, I'll never buy another Acura. To fix it will cost more than I owe it. They may have gotten better, but they lost me for good this time. The RL was bad enough when I replaced the window motor on 3 windows and at 105k the engine died. Can you tell I'm bitter? Sorry, i don't want to be.

3rd row, for sure. comfortable ride, power, mem seats, styling, turn radius, AWD, stereo quality

recall and replace every transmission in the MDX and TL for 02,03. Other than that I love this truck

Transmissions
By Tom

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Stay away from this vehicle. Buyer beware. I had my tranny replaced at the dealer after numerous issues, in fact I had to take it to a different dealer who said yes after 109KM it needs a new tranny. Now I need another 139 KM it died. I called Acura? Honda Canada only to be told too bad it is past warranty (which it is). I repeatedly told them that there have been major issues with this model and specific problem to which the reply was. No there hasn't! Please Google 2002 acura mdx transmission issues before you make a major mistake.