Used 2002 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this 2002 ACURA MDX TOURING
By grammyjan1978

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drove this, loved the looks of it, and it has 187,000 and counting. I would buy another one just like it...got it at 54000 at dealer certified and have had no issues whatsoever. I love my Acura. My only question...I just drove to work and for the first time I clicked the four wheel drive VDX button, how can you tell if it goes off...I clicked it and no change...got me to work in 13 inches of snow...

Naviagation, comfort and dependability of it. only thing that is not the best...getting to seats six and seven....have to be a yoga queen if an adult....curls you right up back there...

Great Car!
By jbirken

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 02 MDX new from the dealer. I have had it now for 10 years and have over 235K miles on it. No major repairs at all. I read about transmissions, struts repairs, etc but I have seen none of it. A great family car. Very reliable. Never failed me. The transmission finally went recently (no complaints after 235K miles) and I want to get another one. I do get worried from what I am reading here at times but for me the car was well worth the $$$ spent.

Room, Drives Great.

Lemon from the factory
By bfoley80

2002 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle brand new off the lot and from day 01 the vehicle had issues, i.e. bubbles in the paint, EGR valve recalls (numerous), etc. The latest is the transmission. This is the second one in 160K miles. The first one was under warranty & the second was while still under warranty as well, however the Sunnyvale Acura dealership did not identify it and has now changed ownership & they're not taking responsibility. The repair will be between $5K~$7K. This is the 1st and last Acura which I will ever buy. They use the term "Luxury Vehicle" - don't be fooled. My prior Lexus was a true Luxury Vehicle, over 250K miles on the trannie w/ no issues.

(1) Good turning radius. (2) Decent gas mileage (3) Good engine (when no recalls) (4) Decent seating / leg room

(1) Sound System (2) Sound deadening for road noise. Very tinny car - nothing has changed from the original Luxury Acuras, i.e. the Legends from the 80's.

Don't be a Dummy from 3 Transmissions
By davesocal

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this MDX new with all options. At 55,000 had the transmission replaced using my extended warranty (1 month shy of expiration and any work done under the warranty or extension it is only good thru the end of the extension date, meaning I only had one month of warranty on the new transmission). This transmission died at 88,000 mi. 6k replacement from the dealer, which was whittled down to 2 thousand. This car has been babied thru the dealer servicing since purchase. Service managers admit the design is faulty. And mentioned I was lucky to get this much use before the transmissons died ! DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CAR USED !!! YOU WILL HAVE A PROBLEM !!!

Recall due to Transmission failures.

Very Happy With Purchase So Far
By twelborn

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My dad and I found this 2002 Acura MDX with around 101,000 miles on it for around $12,000. Was a little off-put with the miles at first, but after I drove it I absolutely loved it. Luxury cars' engines last better than normal cars, you get a better car for the buck too. It provides smooth acceleration and provides an overall very comfortable ride. Was using unleaded-plus fuel at first, but then the ride got a little shaky. Switched back to straight-up premium and the engine performance and fuel economy became much better. I love the Bose sound system in the car, good and clean audio deliverance. Very happy with this car. As long as you do regular maintenance, you shouldn't have problems.

I love the fuel economy gauge in the center console. Not only did it allow me to adjust my driving habits to get better fuel economy, it has also made me an overall safer driver. The Bose sound system - clean high frequencies, full mid-range, and a nice punch to the low-end frequencies. Performance - sure, it isn't a sports car, but that's not why you get this sort of vehicle. It provides more than enough horsepower to smoothly and comfortably get you to your destination as well as the occasional passing power on the highway with semis.

The only thing that I would make one suggestion to change is nothing big. Just the fact that the doors do not lock and unlock automatically when putting the car into park or into gear. Honestly, though, there is nothing wrong with this vehicle. I love it so much!