Ultimately regretful
By AJ on
2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I did a lot of research on various models before deciding to buy my MDX. I was fortunate enough to find a one owner trade in with very low miles, with regular service. I thought despite a couple of annoying short comings of the first model year, that I'd have it for years to come, but no longer. AC hose replacement at 60K miles/ $1K. Power steering 83K mi/ $600. Transmission 84K mi/ $6000. Nav system & CD multi disc changer both broken. People still think it looks like a new car. I got several good years out of it, but for a Honda, this last year's reliability has been horrible. It should have lasted longer before the cost to repair was higher than the value. I may never go back.
Favorite Features
Well organized interior, but some very cheap materials on dash, console and cargo area panels. Nice cargo space. Comfortable seats. Nice exterior design, and fun to drive.
Suggested Improvements
Automatic transmission. Despite regular service, and scheduled maintenance the transmission is a total loss at 84K miles. Replacement is close to $6K. Occasionally very severe wind noise at driver side window at highway speeds. Full size spare. Seat back panels. Glove box door. Nav system.