Used 2001 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Transmission Problems
By Yancey

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have enjoyed my MDX but I have had a transmission failure at 36,000 miles. Acura did not cover the failure because they stated that I had a third party transmission cooler placed that voided their wonderful warranty. The AAMCO dealer that replace the transmission for $6000 told me that the cooler was not the problem. I have also had a friend that had a transmission failure at $40,000 miles. The local Acura dealer was not only unhelpful but downright indignant.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Front seat comfort. Transmission redesign.

Overall great SUV
By olaiz1977

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There are three small details I've had with my MDX. 1.- Wind whistles into the cabin at high speeds 2.- Driver's seat is not very good for long roadtrips. 3.- A/C fan switch is not easy to use. The only other comment is about its towing capacity. I purchased the towing package (which by the way, all accs. are very expensive) and can only tow about 3,000#. If you plan to tow a small boat, or anything else, look for something else. Off-road is so-so. It VTM-Lock allows for front wheel slip while not really locking the back tires. If you dont toe and dont off-road, this is the best SUV you can buy

Suggested Improvements

-Toeing capacity -Upgraded seats -Improve the 4WD system

'01 MDX Touring Navi
By Promed

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle was good until the tranny began failing at 63,000 mi. Acura offered to pay half of the $5,510.00 to replace tranny. I paid $2,755.00. Appealed to Acura and dealer for something more, since I am a 15-year customer of this dealer. They said, "No thanks." I questioned trying a first year model, in 2001. Know that replacement tranny was not immeidiately available when my repair was done Dec.'02. Seems that Acura is having more wide spread trouble with the MDX than they will admit. Acura extended warrany from 50,000 mi. to 100,000 mi. on the tranny of another model. Not for '01 MDX. Buyer be ware.

Excellent
By Lino

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle from Carmax and it has been a workhorse. I also purchased the extended warranty and have had to use it once (engine mount & AC system). I may never purchase another brand again!

Favorite Features

Seating position, build quality & exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

New features that are already in the '04 MDX!

A great SUV
By BCroamer

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've owned several different makes of high-end SUV's and the MDX is the best. When all aspects of ownership are considered; price, size, performance, comfort, resale, etc, the only thing that comes close is the Lexus LX470 and it's cost is considerable higher. The NAV system is the best, we travel extensively and wouldn't be without it. We've had it off-road and while not a true "rock-hopper" it does very well. In the snow & ice it really shines. We're very pleased with our purchase.

Favorite Features

NAV system, performance, exterior appearance, mileage, ride comfort and low noise level.

Suggested Improvements

HID headlights, improved interior (in general), more front seat travel, higher trailer towing capacity.