Used 2001 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Most Helpful|
Awesome SUV
By Richard

2001 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle with about 56000 miles a couple years ago. I have had no issues other than a small coolant leak which was covered under warranty. The car is smooth riding and fun to drive. I pulled a 20 ft boat with ease, I could not even tell it was behind me. I even took it on some light 4 wheel drive excursions and it performed great. Plenty of room for 7 passengers. Gas economy is about average on mine, clocking in at around 18 mpg. I do have a few gripes. Mirror weeps after washing vehicle causing serious water spots down the side of the car when you drive it after washing. Also, some annoying rattles which went away after purchasing new tires. Great SUV.

Favorite Features

Comfort, style, quality, performance. This thing will get up and go. This SUV rocks! Just drive it. You'll see what I mean.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage,some crazy maintenace requirements (i.e. flushing the transmission 3 times at service intervals).

Love it!
By Barb

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this MDX for almost nine years (brand new with 14 miles on the engine) and have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving this SUV. Dealer replaced the transmission about 75K miles ago. Love the strong, stable feel when driving in snow & rain. So roomy and comfortable for trips. Even though I no longer need such a large vehicle (the kids are grown & gone now) I most likely will get another MDX only I will buy used this time. I have over 175K miles and am seeing just how long/far this car will go. Have had most of the preventive maintenance performed which can be pricey but still haven't found another SUV I like better.

Favorite Features

Excellent viewing range. Stable (tank like) feel. Interior conveniences. Decent gas mileage. Large storage capacity. Handles like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Rear window capable of opening & rear intermittent wipers.

'01 MDX Touring Navi
By Promed

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle was good until the tranny began failing at 63,000 mi. Acura offered to pay half of the $5,510.00 to replace tranny. I paid $2,755.00. Appealed to Acura and dealer for something more, since I am a 15-year customer of this dealer. They said, "No thanks." I questioned trying a first year model, in 2001. Know that replacement tranny was not immeidiately available when my repair was done Dec.'02. Seems that Acura is having more wide spread trouble with the MDX than they will admit. Acura extended warrany from 50,000 mi. to 100,000 mi. on the tranny of another model. Not for '01 MDX. Buyer be ware.

Acura knows it transmissions so don't buy them to support their mistakes
By fetters

2001 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle and it broke my heart when in two days the transmission was gone. I love this vehicle yet after paying thousands of dollars and servicing transmission-nothing. I called Acura and they were useless. I had a recall at 40,000 to LOOK at transmission just to save them from when it does go out and it will!! Serveral shops do them and make a living from them when we called around. I thought Chrysler had issues but you DON't get what you pay for here!! Will never buy again to not get any support from them.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Back up what you know is a fault Acura. If most every MDX and sedans have transmissions go bad in the same way then back them. Boo!!! Law suit

watch the tranny it's a KILLER!!!!!!!!!!
By killer tranny!!!!!!!

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Driving home today, my Acura MDX down shifted from 70 MPH to second gear causing the car to decellerate to 55 mph rapidly and almost cost me my life. I quit!!!! I have read there is Chrysler like Tranny probs with this and other Acura models. I have 100,000 miles on mine. Theres danger in your future. Dealer in VA tells me it's common! Acura, does someone have to die before you recall this?????????

Favorite Features

Selling it after $4000 in repairs!!!!!!!!!!! My reflexes as a fighter pilot that saved my life!

Suggested Improvements

Face the facts before you get sued for liability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!