Used 2001 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Acura Quality Questionable
By FC

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used 55000 and it filled up with water in first rainstorm - bad caulking on firewall seals. Broken front spring replaced. Oil jet kit installed. Tach surges 50-100 rpm every 2-3 seconds - dealer cannot diagnose after hundreds of $'s - now thinks it is torque converter. EGR valve replaced on warranty. Plastic vent controls snapped off. Rear wiper droops. Brakes cost > $600 to fix. Road noise excessive. Stereo system is weak. Fuel mileage is poor, especially in city.

Good handling for SUV. Good driver seating position. Trip computer.

Poor climate control design. Need access to 3rd row from both sides. Steering wheel needs more vertical adjustment. Beef up stereo system. Reduce road noise.

Amazing car
By dave

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 92,000 miles; it now has 120000 and I have had no problems with it. One of the best, most reliable, fun to drive cars on the road.

Trip computer, memory seats, heated seats and sunroof.

None.

Sell by 90k
By Nate

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the MDX over the BMW X5 only because of the third row seating. We loved the car untill 90k miles. We have replaced two front struts $700, two motor mounts $600, SRS electronic part $520, spark plugs - Acura wanted hundreds to do them so I did the work. Timing belt and 110k service was over $1000. I am tired of the warning lights comming on every time I turn around. Only dealer can turn them off. My miles are 90% highway on the Acura.

Nav. sys. is nice. Interior feel and comfort is good, I am 6'2".

Needs less road noise and much better reliability.

my first real car
By kcooper

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I say this is my first - as it really is the first good car I've gotten my hands on. I have also owned the Jeep Cherokee FWD and the Acura is way beyond in options, handling and quality.

I love the two-way power seat (especially for those of us under 5'4); adjustable radio stations when out of town; on-steering wheel radio controls; and heated seats.

Better gas mileage; dent-resident doors; intermittent rear wiper; heated steering wheel; trunk access via remote; better sound control on the radio.

Perhaps the first year had more lemons
By Jen Tow

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle for city drivers who need a large car. Runs smoothly and has huge carrying capacity. It is not a good 4x4. My previous car, a jeep grand cherokee, was far superior off- road. The Acura transmission overheated on one trip (luckily it has a light on the dash that warns you). On another the power steering failed (luckily the new steering rack was under warranty). The huge coil spring on one of the wheels even broke going over a regular pothole. It is rather delicate, not rugged. But if you keep it on paved roads you will enjoy the smooth ride, quiet engine, easy to use rear seats and cargo room.

Easy to raise/lower rear seats and lots of space

Dash board controls make no sense. Related controls are not grouped together. Needs intermitent rear wiper.