Used 2001 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

I was a big fan until 80,000 miles
By amc

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car from another dealership and was instantly thrilled with this car. However, I am appalled that after hitting 78000 miles, the car started mild rpm surging and am also being told I need a torque converter. I was impressed with another write up that I had the same experience, lots of $ to diagnose the problem. Interior plastic buttons for lights and vents, broke apart. Same experience as others. I have never replaced a transmission on a car in my entire life. This is so discouraging.

Looks good.

Better transmissions

First 100k OK
By craigo

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had this MDX for 7 years. Great car. The tranny has been slipping under load (hill) for a while and the dealer can not find the problem. Going in for a timing belt this week and I hope they find the tranny issue this time. Love to buy another but the $$$ is crazy.

The look that changed the whole SUV line.

None.

Will buy one all over again
By Michele

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2001 MDX is nearly 7 years old and has 180,000 miles. Looks like new. I don't consider the 100,000 mile tune up at $1500 a big tag item to keep this baby on the road. Did get a new tranny during the recall a few years back and that is okay. If I am ever in a place to need a new car, I will go for a used 2006 MDX. But at the rate mine is going, I should be able to get another 100K out of her easy.

Roominess - I chose the MDX over the Lexus due to the interior size.

Hurrah for the MDX
By Car Lover

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Now this car is one story. The build quality is extraordinary. We got the thing used, four years strong and we still haven't needed to get it repaired. The tires get replaced soon though. The comfort is okay, the leather interior is nice, but the third row seat in the back is not made for adults! The reliability is good, too. It is there for us every time. Fuel economy is not too bad. 20 mpg average. Better than we all expected. Just be careful of that trip computer. Very fragile. Plus, for some odd reason, the radio's LCD starts blanking out in the summer. It always returns after a firm hold on it. Nice car.

Nice trip computer, leather standard, sound system is nice, great attention to detail, audio controls are steering wheel mounted.

More durable trip computer, vents are messed up in the back. Once you get the recalls out of the way, you're all set!

Acura 2001 MDX
By Alicia

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2001 MDX back in 2003. Have never had any major problems with it. I love the MDX, very sporty for the money. Engine light came on and took it to the dealer. It needs a new transmission. It only has 79,000 miles on it. I have followed all the maintenances on it, changed the oil every 3,000 miles. Just so discouraged at this point. Not sure how this happened.

Love the interior.