2001 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
A Fairly Solid SUV
By RHornsby on 08/29/07 15:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car to replace a Dodge Caravan (yeah, I know). It is an excellent car as far as looks and overall driving goes. However, for the large price, it has had a surprising amount of problems. We have had to get multiple things fixed. It now has around 92000 miles on it, and it has broken a couple of times. It has good acceleration with the V6, and is a solid performer (good handling, acceleration). The interior has had a few problems (seats falling apart, window motors breaking) but overall it is a roomy comfortable car. Gas mileage is okay but it has a large tank. It is a very wide car though, feels a little sluggish after driving sedans, but is safe.

Wow
By anne on 08/27/07 09:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving this car for a month and I can't believe the comfort, driving control. It feels like a sedan to drive and it is 2001. The touring package is fabulous and everything works perfectly after 7 years. It feels like a new car and road-holds better than the 2008 pathfinder which I also drove.

It Drives Like A Car
By LUVING IT on 07/20/07 18:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck last September with 138,000 miles. So far besides a tune up and a driver's side wheel bearing. I have had no problems with this vehicle. I moved from Connecticut to Atlanta and it drove with no problem even though it had so many miles on it.

Awesome SUV
By Richard on 03/03/07 09:48 AM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle with about 56000 miles a couple years ago. I have had no issues other than a small coolant leak which was covered under warranty. The car is smooth riding and fun to drive. I pulled a 20 ft boat with ease, I could not even tell it was behind me. I even took it on some light 4 wheel drive excursions and it performed great. Plenty of room for 7 passengers. Gas economy is about average on mine, clocking in at around 18 mpg. I do have a few gripes. Mirror weeps after washing vehicle causing serious water spots down the side of the car when you drive it after washing. Also, some annoying rattles which went away after purchasing new tires. Great SUV.

Pretty much perfect
By Paul on 01/27/07 16:01 PM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wish I could be more constructive, but it is hard to think of anything wrong with this vehicle. We were faced with the decision of buying a new, midscale SUV, or a used, upscale one like an MDX. Boy, are we glad we bought the MDX. If we didn't know, we'd think it was brand new. Do the homework, and you'll find that the MDX offers the most interior room (including a 3rd row seat) in a package that is still midsized. If you want the ability to haul kids all around town in a safe, AWD SUV, but don't want a Yukon or Expedition, then this is the rig for you. There is no comparison to the RX 300, which is tiny compared this this (on the inside).

Acura Quality Questionable
By FC on 01/27/07 08:13 AM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used 55000 and it filled up with water in first rainstorm - bad caulking on firewall seals. Broken front spring replaced. Oil jet kit installed. Tach surges 50-100 rpm every 2-3 seconds - dealer cannot diagnose after hundreds of $'s - now thinks it is torque converter. EGR valve replaced on warranty. Plastic vent controls snapped off. Rear wiper droops. Brakes cost > $600 to fix. Road noise excessive. Stereo system is weak. Fuel mileage is poor, especially in city.

Amazing car
By dave on 12/01/06 18:53 PM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 92,000 miles; it now has 120000 and I have had no problems with it. One of the best, most reliable, fun to drive cars on the road.

Sell by 90k
By Nate on 09/09/06 12:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the MDX over the BMW X5 only because of the third row seating. We loved the car untill 90k miles. We have replaced two front struts $700, two motor mounts $600, SRS electronic part $520, spark plugs - Acura wanted hundreds to do them so I did the work. Timing belt and 110k service was over $1000. I am tired of the warning lights comming on every time I turn around. Only dealer can turn them off. My miles are 90% highway on the Acura.

my first real car
By kcooper on 08/07/06 20:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I say this is my first - as it really is the first good car I've gotten my hands on. I have also owned the Jeep Cherokee FWD and the Acura is way beyond in options, handling and quality.

Perhaps the first year had more lemons
By Jen Tow on 06/06/06 22:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle for city drivers who need a large car. Runs smoothly and has huge carrying capacity. It is not a good 4x4. My previous car, a jeep grand cherokee, was far superior off- road. The Acura transmission overheated on one trip (luckily it has a light on the dash that warns you). On another the power steering failed (luckily the new steering rack was under warranty). The huge coil spring on one of the wheels even broke going over a regular pothole. It is rather delicate, not rugged. But if you keep it on paved roads you will enjoy the smooth ride, quiet engine, easy to use rear seats and cargo room.