Used 2001 Acura MDX Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Love This Ugly Car
By scullymo

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used from an individual with 100k on it. other than a transmission job at 190k, I have had no problems with this vehicle. It is by far the ugliest thing I have ever driven but I would buy another in a heartbeat! I now have 235k on it and I'm hoping to make it to half a mil!

Favorite Features

I love the cockpit (drivers area). I can see all of the buttons and lights at a glance. I never have to take my eyes off the road

Suggested Improvements

Make it pretty

Great Vehicle
By Great Vehicle

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I now have 168,000 miles on this MDX with virtually no problems, except 1. Two years ago, the Torque Converter went out. The dealer indicated that it would cost about $5,000 to repair unless Acura stepped. The dealer, Butler Acura in Ashland, Oregon contacted Acura and asked about it. Acura agreed to replace the entire transmission and torque converter (new, not rebuilt) if I would cover the labor cost. The car had 132,000 miles on it at the time. That is standing behind a car. The warranty was only for 100,000 miles, but they felt it should not have gone out, so they replaced it. The car does have a bit more road noise than I would like, but otherwise is a great performer!

Favorite Features

Acceleration is good, mph is not bad at 18 in town and 20 on the road. Sound system is ok. Solid performer overall, and virtually problem free. This is more vehicle than the comparable Lexus RX300. We have one of each and I prefer the MDX.

Suggested Improvements

Reduced road noise, automatic on/off on the headlights. Otherwise, it is virtually perfect as far as I am concerned.

Ultimately regretful
By AJ

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did a lot of research on various models before deciding to buy my MDX. I was fortunate enough to find a one owner trade in with very low miles, with regular service. I thought despite a couple of annoying short comings of the first model year, that I'd have it for years to come, but no longer. AC hose replacement at 60K miles/ $1K. Power steering 83K mi/ $600. Transmission 84K mi/ $6000. Nav system & CD multi disc changer both broken. People still think it looks like a new car. I got several good years out of it, but for a Honda, this last year's reliability has been horrible. It should have lasted longer before the cost to repair was higher than the value. I may never go back.

Favorite Features

Well organized interior, but some very cheap materials on dash, console and cargo area panels. Nice cargo space. Comfortable seats. Nice exterior design, and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic transmission. Despite regular service, and scheduled maintenance the transmission is a total loss at 84K miles. Replacement is close to $6K. Occasionally very severe wind noise at driver side window at highway speeds. Full size spare. Seat back panels. Glove box door. Nav system.

Love it!
By Barb

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this MDX for almost nine years (brand new with 14 miles on the engine) and have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving this SUV. Dealer replaced the transmission about 75K miles ago. Love the strong, stable feel when driving in snow & rain. So roomy and comfortable for trips. Even though I no longer need such a large vehicle (the kids are grown & gone now) I most likely will get another MDX only I will buy used this time. I have over 175K miles and am seeing just how long/far this car will go. Have had most of the preventive maintenance performed which can be pricey but still haven't found another SUV I like better.

Favorite Features

Excellent viewing range. Stable (tank like) feel. Interior conveniences. Decent gas mileage. Large storage capacity. Handles like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Rear window capable of opening & rear intermittent wipers.

Love it!
By Beachkid

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car the first month it was available in 2001. I now have over 167K miles on it and it's going strong. I too received a new transmission during the recall so I should have several good years left. I love the versatility of the vehicle. From sheets of plywood to trees! I won't buy a new one again but will consider a used one or possibly a CR-V. My husband loves his CR-V and I don't mind driving it but my MDX has just a bit more luxury about it -- if you're willing to pay the extra $$. Might even consider a Toyota. But I've been driving either Honda's or Acura's since 1984..so it might be hard to change now. The MDX handles very much like a car, and I've really enjoyed owning it.

Favorite Features

Handling, ease of use, versatility, color, gas millage, passenger capacity (7), style.