Used 2001 Acura MDX Touring SUV Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

210K miles - going strong - paid for itself
By Tango Papa

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this brand new when it first came out in 2001 when my daughter was born so we had space to change baby diapers in the back and was safe for the whole family. It was a fantastic new car on the scene. Well, 15 years later, my daughter is 15 now and learning to drive and she will inherit the MDX as her first car to drive around. It has 210K miles on it. Its mostly been trouble free. Transmission went at 129K so was out of any warranty. (Apparently the early models, including mine, used a GM transmission as Acura had not quiet gotten their transmission ready for the car, later models used Acura transmission). The transmission rebuild cost $4500 but included a special attachment to the radiator to resolve the heating problem that these transmission had. On this second transmission, the car is now at 210K miles and it looks like it would probably do another 20K-40K without much problems. Changed battery 4 times (we live mostly in hot climate). Changed Tires 4-5 times. Changed brakes twice. Three timing belt jobs. One 100K tune up. Countless air filter and oil changes. Leak in power steering fixed (twice). A/C hose replaced. Engine mounts replaced under warranty. Catalytic converter went at 160K miles...feel I have spend $6-7K on all the repairs and normal maintenance over the years including wear and tear items like Battery, Tire, Brakes , Wipers etc....that works out to less than $500 per year which is not bad at all. I feel part of the issue with car trouble is crooked dealers who try to get you to replace items which don't need immediate replacement. Unless its an obvious problem impacting safety and drivability don't replace the item unless you are convinced it needs replacing. Car still looks new after 15 years. Amazing paint job. And guess what, didn't like the look of the new 2014 MDX so bought a nice new Range Rover - very fancy - but after 2 years and numerous problems, I traded it in for an UGLY but hopefully much more reliable 2016 MDX. New 2001 MDX touring bought for $37K in California in 2001. New 2016 MDX Base model bought for $39K in Texas in 2016...which was $5K off the MSRP due to up coming model change over.

Love This Ugly Car
By scullymo

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used from an individual with 100k on it. other than a transmission job at 190k, I have had no problems with this vehicle. It is by far the ugliest thing I have ever driven but I would buy another in a heartbeat! I now have 235k on it and I'm hoping to make it to half a mil!

I love the cockpit (drivers area). I can see all of the buttons and lights at a glance. I never have to take my eyes off the road

Make it pretty

Great Vehicle
By Great Vehicle

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I now have 168,000 miles on this MDX with virtually no problems, except 1. Two years ago, the Torque Converter went out. The dealer indicated that it would cost about $5,000 to repair unless Acura stepped. The dealer, Butler Acura in Ashland, Oregon contacted Acura and asked about it. Acura agreed to replace the entire transmission and torque converter (new, not rebuilt) if I would cover the labor cost. The car had 132,000 miles on it at the time. That is standing behind a car. The warranty was only for 100,000 miles, but they felt it should not have gone out, so they replaced it. The car does have a bit more road noise than I would like, but otherwise is a great performer!

Acceleration is good, mph is not bad at 18 in town and 20 on the road. Sound system is ok. Solid performer overall, and virtually problem free. This is more vehicle than the comparable Lexus RX300. We have one of each and I prefer the MDX.

Reduced road noise, automatic on/off on the headlights. Otherwise, it is virtually perfect as far as I am concerned.

Ultimately regretful
By AJ

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did a lot of research on various models before deciding to buy my MDX. I was fortunate enough to find a one owner trade in with very low miles, with regular service. I thought despite a couple of annoying short comings of the first model year, that I'd have it for years to come, but no longer. AC hose replacement at 60K miles/ $1K. Power steering 83K mi/ $600. Transmission 84K mi/ $6000. Nav system & CD multi disc changer both broken. People still think it looks like a new car. I got several good years out of it, but for a Honda, this last year's reliability has been horrible. It should have lasted longer before the cost to repair was higher than the value. I may never go back.

Well organized interior, but some very cheap materials on dash, console and cargo area panels. Nice cargo space. Comfortable seats. Nice exterior design, and fun to drive.

Automatic transmission. Despite regular service, and scheduled maintenance the transmission is a total loss at 84K miles. Replacement is close to $6K. Occasionally very severe wind noise at driver side window at highway speeds. Full size spare. Seat back panels. Glove box door. Nav system.

Love it!
By Barb

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this MDX for almost nine years (brand new with 14 miles on the engine) and have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving this SUV. Dealer replaced the transmission about 75K miles ago. Love the strong, stable feel when driving in snow & rain. So roomy and comfortable for trips. Even though I no longer need such a large vehicle (the kids are grown & gone now) I most likely will get another MDX only I will buy used this time. I have over 175K miles and am seeing just how long/far this car will go. Have had most of the preventive maintenance performed which can be pricey but still haven't found another SUV I like better.

Excellent viewing range. Stable (tank like) feel. Interior conveniences. Decent gas mileage. Large storage capacity. Handles like a car.

Transmission. Rear window capable of opening & rear intermittent wipers.