2001 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
167k and still running strong
By livinginnova on 05/23/13 12:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this SUV with 59k on it and have been driving it for the last 7 years. I've taken onto the beach, into the woods, slept in it at campsites, and up and down the East Coast. The transmission and engine are still running strong. I did have to replace a blown A/C hose and a bunch of tires, but I couldn't be happier with the vehicle.

Acura MDX - Transmission ISSUES - BEWARE!!!
By acura_issues on 09/12/11 19:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I used to be a fan of Acura until I purchased an Acura MDX and ran into ALL KINDS of Power Transmission issues. I'm not the type of person who is a "complainer", but believe me when I tell you that Acura is having all kinds of issues with the torque converters on their transmission. Most of the time, the issues show up right after the warranty. The dealership (McGrath Acura) will give you the run around and have you contact the Acura Customer Care 1-800 #. Once you do that, if you complain loud enough they will assign you to a District Manager who will do absolutely nothing to satisfy you. If you're smart, do a simple Google Search on Acura transmission issues and see what comes up. You will be amazed by the number of complaints that loyal Acura customers have regarding Transimission issues

Acura knows it transmissions so don't buy them to support their mistakes
By fetters on 08/25/11 15:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle and it broke my heart when in two days the transmission was gone. I love this vehicle yet after paying thousands of dollars and servicing transmission-nothing. I called Acura and they were useless. I had a recall at 40,000 to LOOK at transmission just to save them from when it does go out and it will!! Serveral shops do them and make a living from them when we called around. I thought Chrysler had issues but you DON't get what you pay for here!! Will never buy again to not get any support from them.

Acura MDX 2001
By leslie ingle on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used from a dealer with app 40k miles on it. Was great for a couple of years and then at 95k, I had to have the transmission replaced. Acura did replace because of recall and I only paid a $400 labor charge. Very disappointed that now at 145k miles I am hearing the same noise and know it is again the transmission. I will never by another Honda or Acura. I have owned Toyotas previously and never had any major problems. Going back to Toyota but in the meantime I feel stuck with this car. Can't sell it with a faulty transmission and do not want to pay for new one.

Second Trans Bites the Dust
By Disgusted with Honda on 03/08/10 14:00 PM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just sold my MDX to a dealer for $4,000.00 after buying it for $24,000.00 just 5 years ago. After two transmissions, one computer, and a couple of sensors, I must admit I am through with Honda! I bought it for reliability thinking I would get the regular 200,000+ miles experience and barely got 100,000. This would have been my second transmission in 2 years if not for selling it off. This is disgraceful for an auto manufacturer that boasts quality and charges exorbitantly for it but doesn't deliver. I basically enjoyed the car. It was reliable. I'll miss it. But not the sorry crappy transmission problems. I hope Acura/Honda corrected this problem.

Excellent Car, will only buy an MDX
By SS on 05/03/09 08:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

A friend had a new 2001 MDX and loved it so I bought a pre-owned 2001 in 2005 with 44K miles. I loved this car! I had almost 72K miles and someone t-boned us going about 40 mph. The car was amazing how it protected us. The airbags went off but other than that, no damage in the interior. Unfortunately our MDX was totaled. We are replacing it with another MDX. We are not even considering anything else. In the 4 years I had the car, we have had absolutely no service calls or problems. Love the smooth ride and security it brings while driving.

195K and still going strong
By alabamafamily on 03/23/09 09:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best car I've ever owned. I'll roll 200,000 miles sometime this summer, yet this car has NEVER let me down. The only time it's ever been in the shop was for air conditioning problems. Even then it was a minor fix. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone considering it!

Jeep upgrade
By Rick on 12/23/08 11:19 AM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in '02 with 11k on it. Grey market but was able to have maintained through local dealership. Previously had 3 Cherokees over 8 years. Best upgrade ever. More room, comfort, visibility than the jeep. I found the seats especially comfortable since I had a bad back. Good handling in wet weather or snow, but would not want to take it offroad. Has carried my family for 155K and convinced me that my next car will be the same one (not the newer smaller version). No reliability issues, predictable maintenance.

Not a good experience
By Rich on 09/19/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2000 thinking I was paying premium price for a premium car. In 2004 while still under warranty the car began making a vibrating noise. This was very intermittent and the local dealer was unable to replicate the problem. The problem has gradually gotten worse. With 77,000 miles on the car I finally discovered the transmission needed replacing. Acura ¨customer service¨ informed me I would only have to pay $1180 of the $3800 repairs. They explained that I didn't always get the car serviced at Acura. In the next sentence they said they weren't responsible for the local dealer not being able to diagnose the problem.

I was a big fan until 80,000 miles
By amc on 09/15/08 18:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car from another dealership and was instantly thrilled with this car. However, I am appalled that after hitting 78000 miles, the car started mild rpm surging and am also being told I need a torque converter. I was impressed with another write up that I had the same experience, lots of $ to diagnose the problem. Interior plastic buttons for lights and vents, broke apart. Same experience as others. I have never replaced a transmission on a car in my entire life. This is so discouraging.