Used 2001 Acura MDX Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

167k and still running strong
By livinginnova

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this SUV with 59k on it and have been driving it for the last 7 years. I've taken onto the beach, into the woods, slept in it at campsites, and up and down the East Coast. The transmission and engine are still running strong. I did have to replace a blown A/C hose and a bunch of tires, but I couldn't be happier with the vehicle.

Cargo space with the seats down, so comfortable for long trips, AWD has really helped in the sand and snow

improved MPG, but it kind of goes with the territory

Acura MDX - Transmission ISSUES - BEWARE!!!
By acura_issues

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I used to be a fan of Acura until I purchased an Acura MDX and ran into ALL KINDS of Power Transmission issues. I'm not the type of person who is a "complainer", but believe me when I tell you that Acura is having all kinds of issues with the torque converters on their transmission. Most of the time, the issues show up right after the warranty. The dealership (McGrath Acura) will give you the run around and have you contact the Acura Customer Care 1-800 #. Once you do that, if you complain loud enough they will assign you to a District Manager who will do absolutely nothing to satisfy you. If you're smart, do a simple Google Search on Acura transmission issues and see what comes up. You will be amazed by the number of complaints that loyal Acura customers have regarding Transimission issues

Acura should learn how to build a transmission that doesn't need to be replaced right after the warranty. With a transmission replacement cost of $6,500....there are many other quality car choices MUCH BETTER than this one. Do a simple Google Search and find all of the issues involved with the torque converters on this model. Do yourself a favor, and avoid purchasing an ACURA MDX!!!!

Acura knows it transmissions so don't buy them to support their mistakes
By fetters

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle and it broke my heart when in two days the transmission was gone. I love this vehicle yet after paying thousands of dollars and servicing transmission-nothing. I called Acura and they were useless. I had a recall at 40,000 to LOOK at transmission just to save them from when it does go out and it will!! Serveral shops do them and make a living from them when we called around. I thought Chrysler had issues but you DON't get what you pay for here!! Will never buy again to not get any support from them.

Back up what you know is a fault Acura. If most every MDX and sedans have transmissions go bad in the same way then back them. Boo!!! Law suit

Acura MDX 2001
By leslie ingle

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used from a dealer with app 40k miles on it. Was great for a couple of years and then at 95k, I had to have the transmission replaced. Acura did replace because of recall and I only paid a $400 labor charge. Very disappointed that now at 145k miles I am hearing the same noise and know it is again the transmission. I will never by another Honda or Acura. I have owned Toyotas previously and never had any major problems. Going back to Toyota but in the meantime I feel stuck with this car. Can't sell it with a faulty transmission and do not want to pay for new one.

Second Trans Bites the Dust
By Disgusted with Honda

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just sold my MDX to a dealer for $4,000.00 after buying it for $24,000.00 just 5 years ago. After two transmissions, one computer, and a couple of sensors, I must admit I am through with Honda! I bought it for reliability thinking I would get the regular 200,000+ miles experience and barely got 100,000. This would have been my second transmission in 2 years if not for selling it off. This is disgraceful for an auto manufacturer that boasts quality and charges exorbitantly for it but doesn't deliver. I basically enjoyed the car. It was reliable. I'll miss it. But not the sorry crappy transmission problems. I hope Acura/Honda corrected this problem.

Comfortable seating. Third row. Good gas mileage for an SUV.

TRANSMISSION! Build one that works! Better sound system.