2001 Acura MDX Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2001 MDX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Sort Reviews by

167k and still running strong
By livinginnova

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this SUV with 59k on it and have been driving it for the last 7 years. I've taken onto the beach, into the woods, slept in it at campsites, and up and down the East Coast. The transmission and engine are still running strong. I did have to replace a blown A/C hose and a bunch of tires, but I couldn't be happier with the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Cargo space with the seats down, so comfortable for long trips, AWD has really helped in the sand and snow

Suggested Improvements

improved MPG, but it kind of goes with the territory

Acura MDX - Transmission ISSUES - BEWARE!!!
By acura_issues

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I used to be a fan of Acura until I purchased an Acura MDX and ran into ALL KINDS of Power Transmission issues. I'm not the type of person who is a "complainer", but believe me when I tell you that Acura is having all kinds of issues with the torque converters on their transmission. Most of the time, the issues show up right after the warranty. The dealership (McGrath Acura) will give you the run around and have you contact the Acura Customer Care 1-800 #. Once you do that, if you complain loud enough they will assign you to a District Manager who will do absolutely nothing to satisfy you. If you're smart, do a simple Google Search on Acura transmission issues and see what comes up. You will be amazed by the number of complaints that loyal Acura customers have regarding Transimission issues

Suggested Improvements

Acura should learn how to build a transmission that doesn't need to be replaced right after the warranty. With a transmission replacement cost of $6,500....there are many other quality car choices MUCH BETTER than this one. Do a simple Google Search and find all of the issues involved with the torque converters on this model. Do yourself a favor, and avoid purchasing an ACURA MDX!!!!

Acura knows it transmissions so don't buy them to support their mistakes
By fetters

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle and it broke my heart when in two days the transmission was gone. I love this vehicle yet after paying thousands of dollars and servicing transmission-nothing. I called Acura and they were useless. I had a recall at 40,000 to LOOK at transmission just to save them from when it does go out and it will!! Serveral shops do them and make a living from them when we called around. I thought Chrysler had issues but you DON't get what you pay for here!! Will never buy again to not get any support from them.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Back up what you know is a fault Acura. If most every MDX and sedans have transmissions go bad in the same way then back them. Boo!!! Law suit

Acura MDX 2001
By leslie ingle

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used from a dealer with app 40k miles on it. Was great for a couple of years and then at 95k, I had to have the transmission replaced. Acura did replace because of recall and I only paid a $400 labor charge. Very disappointed that now at 145k miles I am hearing the same noise and know it is again the transmission. I will never by another Honda or Acura. I have owned Toyotas previously and never had any major problems. Going back to Toyota but in the meantime I feel stuck with this car. Can't sell it with a faulty transmission and do not want to pay for new one.

Second Trans Bites the Dust
By Disgusted with Honda

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just sold my MDX to a dealer for $4,000.00 after buying it for $24,000.00 just 5 years ago. After two transmissions, one computer, and a couple of sensors, I must admit I am through with Honda! I bought it for reliability thinking I would get the regular 200,000+ miles experience and barely got 100,000. This would have been my second transmission in 2 years if not for selling it off. This is disgraceful for an auto manufacturer that boasts quality and charges exorbitantly for it but doesn't deliver. I basically enjoyed the car. It was reliable. I'll miss it. But not the sorry crappy transmission problems. I hope Acura/Honda corrected this problem.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating. Third row. Good gas mileage for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION! Build one that works! Better sound system.

Excellent Car, will only buy an MDX
By SS

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

A friend had a new 2001 MDX and loved it so I bought a pre-owned 2001 in 2005 with 44K miles. I loved this car! I had almost 72K miles and someone t-boned us going about 40 mph. The car was amazing how it protected us. The airbags went off but other than that, no damage in the interior. Unfortunately our MDX was totaled. We are replacing it with another MDX. We are not even considering anything else. In the 4 years I had the car, we have had absolutely no service calls or problems. Love the smooth ride and security it brings while driving.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, comfortable interior, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

multi-cd player as standard equipment would be nice, my model didn't have it.

195K and still going strong
By alabamafamily

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best car I've ever owned. I'll roll 200,000 miles sometime this summer, yet this car has NEVER let me down. The only time it's ever been in the shop was for air conditioning problems. Even then it was a minor fix. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone considering it!

Jeep upgrade
By Rick

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in '02 with 11k on it. Grey market but was able to have maintained through local dealership. Previously had 3 Cherokees over 8 years. Best upgrade ever. More room, comfort, visibility than the jeep. I found the seats especially comfortable since I had a bad back. Good handling in wet weather or snow, but would not want to take it offroad. Has carried my family for 155K and convinced me that my next car will be the same one (not the newer smaller version). No reliability issues, predictable maintenance.

Favorite Features

Heated and adjustable seats, Bose system, interior space, smooth ride, easy to manage split seats. Safety and handling

Suggested Improvements

More horses

Not a good experience
By Rich

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2000 thinking I was paying premium price for a premium car. In 2004 while still under warranty the car began making a vibrating noise. This was very intermittent and the local dealer was unable to replicate the problem. The problem has gradually gotten worse. With 77,000 miles on the car I finally discovered the transmission needed replacing. Acura ¨customer service¨ informed me I would only have to pay $1180 of the $3800 repairs. They explained that I didn't always get the car serviced at Acura. In the next sentence they said they weren't responsible for the local dealer not being able to diagnose the problem.

Favorite Features

Good wet road and snow traction. Nice amenities. Handles nicely around corners.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the well documented transmission problems with this and other Acura cars. Improve customer service.

I was a big fan until 80,000 miles
By amc

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car from another dealership and was instantly thrilled with this car. However, I am appalled that after hitting 78000 miles, the car started mild rpm surging and am also being told I need a torque converter. I was impressed with another write up that I had the same experience, lots of $ to diagnose the problem. Interior plastic buttons for lights and vents, broke apart. Same experience as others. I have never replaced a transmission on a car in my entire life. This is so discouraging.

Favorite Features

Looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmissions