2001 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
167k and still running strong
By livinginnova on 05/23/13 12:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this SUV with 59k on it and have been driving it for the last 7 years. I've taken onto the beach, into the woods, slept in it at campsites, and up and down the East Coast. The transmission and engine are still running strong. I did have to replace a blown A/C hose and a bunch of tires, but I couldn't be happier with the vehicle.

Acura MDX - Transmission ISSUES - BEWARE!!!
By acura_issues on 09/12/11 19:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I used to be a fan of Acura until I purchased an Acura MDX and ran into ALL KINDS of Power Transmission issues. I'm not the type of person who is a "complainer", but believe me when I tell you that Acura is having all kinds of issues with the torque converters on their transmission. Most of the time, the issues show up right after the warranty. The dealership (McGrath Acura) will give you the run around and have you contact the Acura Customer Care 1-800 #. Once you do that, if you complain loud enough they will assign you to a District Manager who will do absolutely nothing to satisfy you. If you're smart, do a simple Google Search on Acura transmission issues and see what comes up. You will be amazed by the number of complaints that loyal Acura customers have regarding Transimission issues

Acura knows it transmissions so don't buy them to support their mistakes
By fetters on 08/25/11 15:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle and it broke my heart when in two days the transmission was gone. I love this vehicle yet after paying thousands of dollars and servicing transmission-nothing. I called Acura and they were useless. I had a recall at 40,000 to LOOK at transmission just to save them from when it does go out and it will!! Serveral shops do them and make a living from them when we called around. I thought Chrysler had issues but you DON't get what you pay for here!! Will never buy again to not get any support from them.

Love This Ugly Car
By scullymo on 04/26/11 14:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used from an individual with 100k on it. other than a transmission job at 190k, I have had no problems with this vehicle. It is by far the ugliest thing I have ever driven but I would buy another in a heartbeat! I now have 235k on it and I'm hoping to make it to half a mil!

Acura MDX 2001
By leslie ingle on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used from a dealer with app 40k miles on it. Was great for a couple of years and then at 95k, I had to have the transmission replaced. Acura did replace because of recall and I only paid a $400 labor charge. Very disappointed that now at 145k miles I am hearing the same noise and know it is again the transmission. I will never by another Honda or Acura. I have owned Toyotas previously and never had any major problems. Going back to Toyota but in the meantime I feel stuck with this car. Can't sell it with a faulty transmission and do not want to pay for new one.

Great Vehicle
By Great Vehicle on 04/12/10 22:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I now have 168,000 miles on this MDX with virtually no problems, except 1. Two years ago, the Torque Converter went out. The dealer indicated that it would cost about $5,000 to repair unless Acura stepped. The dealer, Butler Acura in Ashland, Oregon contacted Acura and asked about it. Acura agreed to replace the entire transmission and torque converter (new, not rebuilt) if I would cover the labor cost. The car had 132,000 miles on it at the time. That is standing behind a car. The warranty was only for 100,000 miles, but they felt it should not have gone out, so they replaced it. The car does have a bit more road noise than I would like, but otherwise is a great performer!

Second Trans Bites the Dust
By Disgusted with Honda on 03/08/10 14:00 PM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just sold my MDX to a dealer for $4,000.00 after buying it for $24,000.00 just 5 years ago. After two transmissions, one computer, and a couple of sensors, I must admit I am through with Honda! I bought it for reliability thinking I would get the regular 200,000+ miles experience and barely got 100,000. This would have been my second transmission in 2 years if not for selling it off. This is disgraceful for an auto manufacturer that boasts quality and charges exorbitantly for it but doesn't deliver. I basically enjoyed the car. It was reliable. I'll miss it. But not the sorry crappy transmission problems. I hope Acura/Honda corrected this problem.

Ultimately regretful
By AJ on 02/12/10 20:03 PM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did a lot of research on various models before deciding to buy my MDX. I was fortunate enough to find a one owner trade in with very low miles, with regular service. I thought despite a couple of annoying short comings of the first model year, that I'd have it for years to come, but no longer. AC hose replacement at 60K miles/ $1K. Power steering 83K mi/ $600. Transmission 84K mi/ $6000. Nav system & CD multi disc changer both broken. People still think it looks like a new car. I got several good years out of it, but for a Honda, this last year's reliability has been horrible. It should have lasted longer before the cost to repair was higher than the value. I may never go back.

Love it!
By Barb on 12/15/09 05:41 AM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this MDX for almost nine years (brand new with 14 miles on the engine) and have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving this SUV. Dealer replaced the transmission about 75K miles ago. Love the strong, stable feel when driving in snow & rain. So roomy and comfortable for trips. Even though I no longer need such a large vehicle (the kids are grown & gone now) I most likely will get another MDX only I will buy used this time. I have over 175K miles and am seeing just how long/far this car will go. Have had most of the preventive maintenance performed which can be pricey but still haven't found another SUV I like better.

Love it!
By Beachkid on 07/06/09 11:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car the first month it was available in 2001. I now have over 167K miles on it and it's going strong. I too received a new transmission during the recall so I should have several good years left. I love the versatility of the vehicle. From sheets of plywood to trees! I won't buy a new one again but will consider a used one or possibly a CR-V. My husband loves his CR-V and I don't mind driving it but my MDX has just a bit more luxury about it -- if you're willing to pay the extra $$. Might even consider a Toyota. But I've been driving either Honda's or Acura's since 1984..so it might be hard to change now. The MDX handles very much like a car, and I've really enjoyed owning it.