2001 Acura MDX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Love This Ugly Car
By scullymo on 04/26/11 14:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used from an individual with 100k on it. other than a transmission job at 190k, I have had no problems with this vehicle. It is by far the ugliest thing I have ever driven but I would buy another in a heartbeat! I now have 235k on it and I'm hoping to make it to half a mil!

Great Vehicle
By Great Vehicle on 04/12/10 22:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I now have 168,000 miles on this MDX with virtually no problems, except 1. Two years ago, the Torque Converter went out. The dealer indicated that it would cost about $5,000 to repair unless Acura stepped. The dealer, Butler Acura in Ashland, Oregon contacted Acura and asked about it. Acura agreed to replace the entire transmission and torque converter (new, not rebuilt) if I would cover the labor cost. The car had 132,000 miles on it at the time. That is standing behind a car. The warranty was only for 100,000 miles, but they felt it should not have gone out, so they replaced it. The car does have a bit more road noise than I would like, but otherwise is a great performer!

Ultimately regretful
By AJ on 02/12/10 20:03 PM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did a lot of research on various models before deciding to buy my MDX. I was fortunate enough to find a one owner trade in with very low miles, with regular service. I thought despite a couple of annoying short comings of the first model year, that I'd have it for years to come, but no longer. AC hose replacement at 60K miles/ $1K. Power steering 83K mi/ $600. Transmission 84K mi/ $6000. Nav system & CD multi disc changer both broken. People still think it looks like a new car. I got several good years out of it, but for a Honda, this last year's reliability has been horrible. It should have lasted longer before the cost to repair was higher than the value. I may never go back.

Love it!
By Barb on 12/15/09 05:41 AM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this MDX for almost nine years (brand new with 14 miles on the engine) and have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving this SUV. Dealer replaced the transmission about 75K miles ago. Love the strong, stable feel when driving in snow & rain. So roomy and comfortable for trips. Even though I no longer need such a large vehicle (the kids are grown & gone now) I most likely will get another MDX only I will buy used this time. I have over 175K miles and am seeing just how long/far this car will go. Have had most of the preventive maintenance performed which can be pricey but still haven't found another SUV I like better.

Love it!
By Beachkid on 07/06/09 11:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car the first month it was available in 2001. I now have over 167K miles on it and it's going strong. I too received a new transmission during the recall so I should have several good years left. I love the versatility of the vehicle. From sheets of plywood to trees! I won't buy a new one again but will consider a used one or possibly a CR-V. My husband loves his CR-V and I don't mind driving it but my MDX has just a bit more luxury about it -- if you're willing to pay the extra $$. Might even consider a Toyota. But I've been driving either Honda's or Acura's since 1984..so it might be hard to change now. The MDX handles very much like a car, and I've really enjoyed owning it.

Based on 90,000 miles, and 6 years of
By domer1976 on 02/08/09 20:05 PM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

ownership, I can honestly say I'd buy the car all over again, in a heartbeat. Pluses are comfort, still class-leading navigation system, interior room, and build quality. Mine has always been dealer-serviced, which hasn't been particularly cheap. Transmission went kaput at 90,000 miles, and I neither tow, carry loads nor abuse the transmission in any way. Would have been more disappointing, but Honda Motors - which apparently knows they have problems with this transmission, paid for half the cost of replacement. Abundant wind and road noise and unimpressive gas mileage (about 18 mpg combined)are about the only drawbacks. And you'd better have a wide garage door to fit it in.

Will buy one all over again
By Michele on 02/12/08 18:22 PM (PST)

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2001 MDX is nearly 7 years old and has 180,000 miles. Looks like new. I don't consider the 100,000 mile tune up at $1500 a big tag item to keep this baby on the road. Did get a new tranny during the recall a few years back and that is okay. If I am ever in a place to need a new car, I will go for a used 2006 MDX. But at the rate mine is going, I should be able to get another 100K out of her easy.

Wow
By anne on 08/27/07 09:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving this car for a month and I can't believe the comfort, driving control. It feels like a sedan to drive and it is 2001. The touring package is fabulous and everything works perfectly after 7 years. It feels like a new car and road-holds better than the 2008 pathfinder which I also drove.

It Drives Like A Car
By LUVING IT on 07/20/07 18:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck last September with 138,000 miles. So far besides a tune up and a driver's side wheel bearing. I have had no problems with this vehicle. I moved from Connecticut to Atlanta and it drove with no problem even though it had so many miles on it.

Sell by 90k
By Nate on 09/09/06 12:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the MDX over the BMW X5 only because of the third row seating. We loved the car untill 90k miles. We have replaced two front struts $700, two motor mounts $600, SRS electronic part $520, spark plugs - Acura wanted hundreds to do them so I did the work. Timing belt and 110k service was over $1000. I am tired of the warning lights comming on every time I turn around. Only dealer can turn them off. My miles are 90% highway on the Acura.

1 2 3 4 5 next »