Used 1994 Acura Legend Sedan Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Acura Legend Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legend model:

Love my Legend
By Becca D.

1994 Acura Legend Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I've had the Legend L sedan automatic for 5 years now. It has been in several accidents and yet it keeps going strong. In the most recent accident we rebuilt the drivers front end cheaply and yet it has been more effective and reliable than my friend's 2012 VW hatchback. We've only done the most basic regular maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations when necessary) and it doesn't want to stop. It's clocked at 179k miles now (although I imagine it has more since the odometer wasn't reading when we bought it; turned out to be an easy & inexpensive fix by replacing a sensor). The only qualms I have are that the electrical system in my car is messed up. Lately I've only been unlocking on the passengers side because the alarm often goes off when unlocking on driver's side (unlock passengers side if this happens--I believe it is the master lock and will shut off the alarm). There is also an electrical leak somewhere, probably from my aftermarket cd player, because I've had to change the battery on it more often than is considered normal. It idles high when I cold-start it but this is fairly normal for a 20+ year old car. For awhile I considered trying to fix it (apparently this high idle is common problem on this model and requires some sort of a sensor), but decided it wasn't worth it as it doensn't affect car's performance. My Legend has a surprising amount of cargo space--I can't tell you all the things I've hauled in this vehicle. I suggest getting the recommended maintenance (belts and other regularly used parts) for this car as you go, it will save you money in the long run. This is a fun car to drive; a sleeper car if you will. It's got a great engine in it, its reliable, I never had a problem with head gaskets. It all depends on how its been maintained and driven during its lifetime--even then that isn't always an accurate way of gouging a car's abilities. My Legend is a trooper; its taken me all over the country and I will be sad when I have to retire it. There is a reason it was called a LEGEND. Also, for anyone interested: the RL replaced the Legend in 1996 so it's still there just a different name.

Love this car! Best $600 I ever spent!
By David Johnson

1994 Acura Legend Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 4DR Legend LS from its original owner on Craigslist. It had 196K miles on it and needed head gaskets, which the owner was honest about, and the paint was a little faded. So I spent 2 weekends taking the heads off, and while I was in there I put in new belts, hoses, and a rebuilt alternator and starter from Napa. Contrary to other reviews, the engine does *not* need to come out of the car to do this. That was 4 years and 40K miles ago. To celebrate the fact that I'll probably own this car another 10 years, I had it painted for $1000 by another guy I found on Craigslist a few month ago and it looks like new again! I've driven it from Colorado to California, all over Colorado, Wyoming and Utah, in all kinds of weather, including ski trips to the mountains. It has never let me down and the performance is amazing for such an old car. Even my girlfriend loves it!

beware the Blown Head Gasket of Death
By mannydantyla

1994 Acura Legend Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

First off, this is a good car. Great styling, very powerful V6 engine, fun to drive, and (99% of the time) mechanically reliable. I never had to do any major repairs except the CV shafts and a thermostat.

That was until THE HEAD GASKET WENT OUT. And, on these cars, that means the entire engine must be pulled out of the engine bay to get the heads off and replace the gaskets. NOT WORTH IT.

The speedometer was broken, muffler was shot, door jam was not working, telescoping steering wheel was stuck in the most upright position, seats where worn to shreds, rust was forming, etc. And all of that at ~140k miles.

Good car but didn't last long. Beware if buying.

Why did Acura Stop Making This?
By alexgutfleish

1994 Acura Legend Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I recently inherited my grandmother's 1994 Acura Legend, which only has 42,300 on the odometer. Overall the car is great, I love the handling, the acceleration, and the rear visibility is fantastic for a sedan of that size. The only things I dislike are the automatic transmission, which bucks when going from first to second. Also, the car does not get the best fuel economy and requires premium fuel, which isn't the best when gas is $4.20-4.50 a gallon. Finally, in terms of technology its "outdated" (It has a cassette player and no GPS). Other than that I love it. Great car!

Walking could not be cheaper!
By David Dahbura

1994 Acura Legend Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after leaving my business card on the windsheild in a parking lot. The car was perfect despite the miles which did not scare me. It has been FLAWLESS, it has had the usual preventative maintenance done but otherwise NOTHING has ever needed repairing. My only gripes are the LOW (very low) front bumper which seems to catch on everything and has now been repaired countless times and the too low driving position, but in defense of the later, I think my age and bum knee are more to blame than the car. I have calculated my costs for this car which I paid $3,000 for, and I assure you, I could not have walked the same distance cheaper than this car has cost. I want another one ASAP

You can take entrance/exit ramps going 90mph.

That front bumper, please not another parking lot with cement headers. Not another sub-division with raised manhole covers. Would love an outside tempreture indicator.