Used 1992 Acura Legend Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Acura Legend - Consumer Reviews

1992 Acura Legend

View reviews for a specific Legend model:

What a money pit!!!!!!!!
By jtttma

1992 Acura Legend L 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1992 Legend with $48k miles in 2000. I thought it would be a reliable car that would last me at least 8 more years. In the four years that I have owned it, I have poured thousands of dollars into it. A new A/C ($1200), radiator, two front axles, replaced all motor mounts (come on, when was the last time you replace a motor mount in a car) and a load of other things. I estimate that I have spent at least $5000 in the four years I have owned it. The engine and transmission, they say, are great, but every thing else is garbage. I tell everyone who wants to by a used Legend to be prepared to pay thousands in repairs.

Favorite Features

None. You get to know alot of tow drivers. So very frustrating to own.

Suggested Improvements

Make it last like a Honda Accord, not like an American Luxury car.

Great looks, but engine soso
By

1992 Acura Legend L 4dr Sedan

Admittedly, one of the best looking cars ever built: a good combo of elegence and muscle. However, I have had problems with the engine overheating. Moreover, b/c the engines were built with very narrow margins b/ween parts, a little overheating can do serious damage, as it did in mine. Nonetheless, If I had 15 grand to blow on a car, I' rather buy a legend and then replace the engine and/or tranny than a new cavalier or something.

Favorite Features

looks, class, interior

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the legend, same body style, but with the new more reliable HONDA QUALITY Engines

Family Legend
By kingvonh

1992 Acura Legend LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 174K for $1300 about a month ago as a family get around car. Thus far the overall ride and performance has met or exceeded expectations exept I believe the transmission is too quirky (can shift rough at times). Premium fuel only kind of kills any economical value. Avg 22 mpg (1/2 city, 1/2 hwy). Car handles well in corners and accelerates easily. Will pass on freeway with no hesitation. Rides a little too stiff. Should have softer suspension for type of car it is. Issues with windows (work but slow), locks (if you lock it will keep on trying to lock?) radio (factory Bose does not work, common) power antenna (jammed) and some paint oxidization (black).

Favorite Features

Design, love the combination of luxury with sport and power. Bullet proof engine. The peace of mind.. it's a fancy Honda Accord really. Fits 2 car seats and a 7yr old comfortably in the rear and trunk holds a stroller and 2 weeks of groceries for a family of 5 with no problem.

Suggested Improvements

Softer suspension. Perhaps a more powerful engine that doesn't require Premium Fuel! Smoother transmission. Better audio system.

My Legend
By Joe A

1992 Acura Legend L 4dr Sedan

My Legend has been very good to me. Always get compliments on it, even when its dirty. Have had normal mechanical problems, changed belts, front brakes, overheated radiator at 150,000 miles, but besides that, the car has been a pleasure to ride in, Vigors are also nice cars.

Favorite Features

Audio Control on steering wheel, big trunk, supberb styling, good city car, door mounted ash-trays, responsive handling

Suggested Improvements

Acura should have used the Type 2 engine on all the Legends

Good car
By Acuraowners

1992 Acura Legend 4dr Sedan

I have not owned this car long, but initially, I like it. It has a long wheelbase- which is really needed to help off-set the overly firm (for a luxury car) suspension. The car is roomy and I feel safe driving it. The gauges are easy to read, but not as pleasant to look at as they are in the 1990-93 Honda Accords, nor is the ride as supple. I am disappointed with the ride of my car, as well as the fact that it needs new axles, & transmission mounts. Overall, these are very good cars, but I have heard a lot of bad things about the headgaskets. They are prone to failures, as are the valve stem seals.

Favorite Features

Styling- especially the front, comfortable seats- really needed to off-set the firm suspension, easy to read and use guages, high build quality- still no rattles or squeaks, even at 197K miles, cloth seat material of high quality. I am glad it has cloth, instead of the prone to cracking leather.

Suggested Improvements

Needs tilt steering column- totally unacceptable for a luxury car not to have one- especially a $28K car (when new). Better engine valve seals needed, softer suspension, smoother shifting transmission and head gaskets- because I have heard they can be very prone to go bad on these cars.