Used 1990 Acura Legend Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Acura Legend - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legend model:

2nd owner of driving machine
By Jaleut

1990 Acura Legend Sedan L 4dr Sedan

Wife & I found this GEM (43k miles @ $17,676) when a nice business lady turned it in to upgrade. Aside from the usual maintenance, this car performed flawlessly until 189k when one main bearing froze which required an engine replacement (33k on replacement). Replaced alternator, starter and radiator and some suspension parts from 189k to 284k at which time replaced timing belt, water pump and gaskets on valve covers, front crank and oil pan. Also replaced right drive CV. It would be a shame to give up on this work-horse of a vehicle that is only subject to components that wear out with heavy driving. Wish I could be confident of the new technology when it arrives in 2010 when I may buy.

Favorite Features

Get up and GO! Great interior (no cup holders, but understand that this was intended). Great ride. Never let me down on a long trip.

Suggested Improvements

Better windshield mechanicals. Had to replace components.

Tuly a Legend
By Larry

1990 Acura Legend Sedan L 4dr Sedan

Honda built these cars and never again matched their performance, height, balance, economy, space efficiency, durability, and fun to drive quotient. WE had this car from 122K to 180K and just got a '08 Accord to replace it. I am not a happy camper - no more sport mode transmission, no more multi - link double wishbone rear suspension, no more silky smooth v-6 that even at 180K would happily sing to is redline and still go 120+ with ease. What an engine that 2.7 liter was- and 161 HP??? Please - NO WAY. This car would fly, and 80-100 on the interstate? In a snap. Fantastic car and I miss her already - after only one day. she'll forever be a yardstick against which I measure others.

Favorite Features

handling, sport transmission mode, low cowl, low ride eight, useful trunk space - size and shape

Suggested Improvements

More HP - otherwise perfect

Just a few minor quirks. Love the car
By Amelia42188

1990 Acura Legend Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I got the Acura legend about a year and a half ago. I've driven it across country 3 times already. Its a 1990, and when I bought it it probably had 150,000 miles on it, now its in the mid 70's but its been great. The only major problem i've had is the alternator dying. Other than that its just an amazing car, fun to drive. I guess there are a few things, it makes a weird noise when I turn, and i have to replace the breaks now, as well as the exhaust but it does have a lot of miles on it so i guess that kind of stuff can be expected.

Favorite Features

The power everything!! The huge power sunroof. The sport mode that can make it do a hundred plus in a matter of seconds. Couldn't ask for a better car.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders would be nice... did they not have drinks in their cars in the early 90s? I have to put new power steering fluid in every couple of weeks, or else the wheel gets really stiff.

The best car for the money!
By ikeberry

1990 Acura Legend Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it had 245,000 miles. I have continued to drive it without any major problems. It now has 279K. The car is 17 years old and still is holding up to the New York winters. Little exterior rust. Interior leather has not held up good through the years, cracked and needs to be covered over. Engine still has some get up and go in it.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, still no leaking! Trunk release button built onto the driver's side door. Interior lamps.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders as everyone has mentioned.

A gem
By Larry Gorman

1990 Acura Legend Sedan L 4dr Sedan

Got a '90 Legend for our younger son in 2000 with 122K, one owner car. Now we own it and it has 171K. We LOVE this car. Not the fastest or best handling, but that engine still sings and it does not want to run less than 80 on the interstate - she will still do 100 in a snap. Ride, comfort and balance are excellent, and it is so LOW - the lowest 4 door sedan I have seen in a long time. We are looking UP at other people all the time - I like it. Will be a sad day indeed when it comes time to let go of her which is fast approaching. That second timing belt/water pump change is hard to justify for such an old car. The 2.7 liter first series Legend, is one of the best cars ever made, IMHO.

Favorite Features

Reliability, engine, ride, height, interior ergonomics.