Used 1997 Acura Integra GS-R Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Acura Integra - Consumer Reviews

1997 Acura Integra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Integra model:

1997 Integra GSR
By gsr_pilot

1997 Acura Integra Hatchback GS-R 2dr Hatchback

There are not many cars built even today that can match the driving fun / parts available for upgrade / utility / reliability that the GSR hatchback offers. Add good fuel economy even by 2013 standards for a sports car category. For 16 years its been a serious winner & I can see why thieves are the biggest detriment to owning one ! Shifter / clutch are light feeling even when traffic gets heavy this car does not let you feel like its a liability. The best places are roads with numerous curves to exploit the " handling on rails " feeling ! My tachometer redlines at 8000 rpm so I get the feeling of F1 performance from a car costing $20K when it was new. Basic interior.

Favorite Features

The variable valve timing plus the car is light weight adds to the total driving experience. If you like to multitask while driving this car is NOT 4 U !!! Put the cell phone away hands on the wheel / shifter / foots on the clutch / gas & its hard to find any greater thrill than being on a road with turns going every different direction. Open the sunroof put your favorite tunes on ... its almost better than sex !

Suggested Improvements

The interior is confined. The Quad headlight design has grown on me & find it has classic lines. The torque is 128 foot pounds so off the line its not a burner. But putting in a clutch with more clamping power / adding a Cold Air intake have all helped to add more excitement ! Headlights are not strong enough for me so I added driving lights increasing night vision. The GSR model has more comfort than the high performance Type - R model. As a daily driving car I look forward to each day driving this car. If you like to drive a stick shift this car is very hard to beat for thrills. The problem with buying a used GSR is modifications not done right.

cant seem to stop buying another?
By sonz

1997 Acura Integra Hatchback GS-R 2dr Hatchback

ive never been a fan of these "tuner" cars until i bought my first one in 08. Since 08 i have owned 3, being on my 4th one now. The current one i have invested over 7k into aftermarket parts that include a fully built high compression all motor setup and a $3k paintjob. Looks brand new now and wouldnt hesitate to drive it across country! Sadly, i am getting a little older and have had my first son. Im not going to get what i want from the sale, but hopefully shell go to good hands. I love the styling. I thought id be sad after financial reasons and having to get rid of my 545i, but the only thing i miss about the 545 is the comfort. Ran the gsr at the track and ran a 12.4 all motor on slicks

Favorite Features

reliability, plethora of parts, cheap labor, easy maintenance, vtec at 5500 rpms.

Suggested Improvements

more room, better cupholders, but then again, i guess the new rsx has some of these refinements made..i would buy another, but im gettin too old for the "honda" scene and id like more space. Always nice to try a new brand..

97 GS-R
By tjf

1997 Acura Integra Hatchback GS-R 2dr Hatchback

I just sold the 1997 Integra GS-R I bought new in 1997, and I'm sorry to see it go. It was quick, handled well, and was just generally fun to drive. The gas mileage was exceptional, and the reliability was positively stellar. When I bought the car I believed it was the best bang for the buck available, and 10 years later, I still believe that was true. There may have been a few faster, better handling, cheaper cars, but none that provided so much performance with practicality and reliability. As a used car, I think a properly maintained Integra (particularly a GS-R) is a tremendous value.

Favorite Features

Performance, reliability, and gas mileage were all top notch. I think the interior design was rather simple but eminently functional.

Suggested Improvements

The only things the car didn't do well were things Acura didn't intend to do well with this car. The ride was very stiff and loud, and there's very little room in the back seat. That's all to be expected in a sport coupe.

Nice car..
By Jeff

1997 Acura Integra Hatchback GS-R 2dr Hatchback

It is very nice exterior look. Fun to drive. Good gas mileage and still a pretty cheap car. I love it

Favorite Features

Exterior look and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Interior looks alittle cheap but I upgraded my interior and makes it look really nice.

Great Car
By Sox Fan

1997 Acura Integra Hatchback GS-R 2dr Hatchback

This car is has been a great car with. The car has been increadibly reliable overall. It is a comfortable car with a nice enginer.

Favorite Features

Quickness. Great car!