Used 1997 Acura Integra Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Acura Integra - Consumer Reviews

1997 Acura Integra

View reviews for a specific Integra model:

Like me, this little car does not show its age
By Cathy H

1997 Acura Integra LS 4dr Sedan

I am the second owner of my 1997 Acura Integra LS. People are shocked to learn it is nearly 20 years old. The mileage is creeping up there (just like me)and I have kept up with all the regular maintenance like timing belt and exhaust replacements when needed just like I would check and maintain my own health issues as I get older and I am in pretty good shape for my age. So is my Integra. I have had noooooooo major problems and none that you wouldn't expect from an older car. Another amazing phenomenon is that it has been just the last year it has just started to rust a little around the wheel wells but I live in the northeast and I expected a whole lot more than what it is. Kind of like my wrinkles. It rides and travels beautifully and the gas mileage on this little girl is unbelievable!! I get about 36 or 37 MPG on the highway. The other thing I like about the Integra is that there are very few blind spots around the car, unlike a lot of newer model cars. The Integra handles really well on snowy roads but not so good on ice (what vehicle does?) It sits low to the ground so if there is a major snowfall you have to tuck yourself in after the first few inches are on the roads until the road crews get out to plow. That hasn't been an inconvenience for me at all. The one "negative" I would have to include is the headlights. High beam on this car is less quality than low beam on most newer cars and the radius of the lighting area is not the best. If you are travelling in an area where there is a risk of large animals wandering onto the road, this could be a concern because you can't see them along side the road very well. This is such an awesome car I would recommend it to anyone who wants a classy vehicle that is economical and lasts a long time, just like some of us classy older models from the 60's. : )

1997 Integra GSR
By gsr_pilot

1997 Acura Integra GS-R 2dr Hatchback

There are not many cars built even today that can match the driving fun / parts available for upgrade / utility / reliability that the GSR hatchback offers. Add good fuel economy even by 2013 standards for a sports car category. For 16 years its been a serious winner & I can see why thieves are the biggest detriment to owning one ! Shifter / clutch are light feeling even when traffic gets heavy this car does not let you feel like its a liability. The best places are roads with numerous curves to exploit the " handling on rails " feeling ! My tachometer redlines at 8000 rpm so I get the feeling of F1 performance from a car costing $20K when it was new. Basic interior.

The variable valve timing plus the car is light weight adds to the total driving experience. If you like to multitask while driving this car is NOT 4 U !!! Put the cell phone away hands on the wheel / shifter / foots on the clutch / gas & its hard to find any greater thrill than being on a road with turns going every different direction. Open the sunroof put your favorite tunes on ... its almost better than sex !

The interior is confined. The Quad headlight design has grown on me & find it has classic lines. The torque is 128 foot pounds so off the line its not a burner. But putting in a clutch with more clamping power / adding a Cold Air intake have all helped to add more excitement ! Headlights are not strong enough for me so I added driving lights increasing night vision. The GSR model has more comfort than the high performance Type - R model. As a daily driving car I look forward to each day driving this car. If you like to drive a stick shift this car is very hard to beat for thrills. The problem with buying a used GSR is modifications not done right.

17 years after it rolled off the assembly line...
By ecidloc

1997 Acura Integra RS 2dr Hatchback

I have never been much into cars.
True, I owned an Acura before and I have heard of the name Integra, but it did not attach any meaning to me until recently when I bought a 17-yr old used one as a second car for the family.
From styling, handling, dynamics, ride comfort and practicality, this car surprises me in every single way. It has simply and functional designs, it has a peppy and efficient engine, it has no fancy equipment, it has a styling that can stand in time, and it has 17 years on the road and still running in a typical Honda fashion.
This is a car built for driving, and it was built to last.
We need more cars like this in today's car industry.

Love This Car!
By naturegirl3

1997 Acura Integra LS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my '97 Acura Integra Hatchback (150k miles) used last year (2010) from a young woman who owned the car.
Nothing was modified on the car.. it was just as it was from the factory.
I've never owned an Acura before and I am VERY impressed with this car.
I was very skeptical of buying a used car, especially one that was 13 years old.
My previous car was a Grand Cherokee Jeep - pile of crap.
At 150k miles, it was falling apart and needed major work and only got 15mpg on a good day.
My Acura has been an adjustment due to how small it is, but for commuting back and forth to work and trips around town, I couldn't be happier with the gas mileage (30 city - and it's 13 years old!)

Gas Mileage (30 city / 40 hwy) Dependability, great cornering, sunroof, peppy engine, easy to work on.

Cup holder is in the wrong place, but that's such a minor problem compared to other cars I've owned. Round headlights give it a "froggy" look but I've owned VW bugs in the past and I think it's cute.

Be Careful!
By wmsptPA

1997 Acura Integra LS 2dr Hatchback

Beware of used Integras! These are popular cars to modify, and when people do this, they mess things up seriously! Due to the moron who owned the car before me, my integra is endlessly dying on me for one reason after another, as soon as I fix one problem, a new one comes up. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to keep this thing on the road (I can't afford another car), and as I write it is dead at my house, won't start due to an electrical malfunction of some kind, which will probably also cost a fortune. Integras are great cars as long as they have not been modified at all, be very cautious that the one you are considering buying has not been modified at all!

I love the interior and exterior design of this car! Simple, sleek, and sharp. Handles amazingly.

Not a smooth ride, loud too, but this is intentional.