1991 Acura Integra Consumer Review: Electrical problems galore

1991 Acura Integra Hatchback - Consumer Review

Electrical problems galore
By hienz1 on

1991 Acura Integra LS 2dr Hatchback

The Integrated Control Unit (not the car computer) behind the fuse panel shorted out. I had to replace the starter, battery, batt. cables, distributor, fuel injectors, the capacitors inside the ICU, starter switch, fuel pump relay, every single relay & fuse, blower motor & resistors. I built my own resistors because the stock ones kept breaking. The mounting tang for the blower motor fuse broke off, so I had to splice into one of the starter switch wires and connect it to the fuse. I had to jumper 2 of the terminals on the fuse panel with a blade-fuse holder to restore power to the stereo. I also changed the drive shafts & all struts, and I do my own brakes. Time 2 sell.

Fully loaded. Moon roof, AC, electric windows, cruise, rear seats fold down making huge space in back, torque-to-weight ratio makes this car super fast in lower gears, I got way too many speeding tickets driving this car. Good gas mileage even with AC on.

The electrical system is prone to catastrophic failure. The capacitors used in the Integrated Control Unit should be changed up to 35volt to combat overheating & leakage. Also do away with spade-type connectors & go w/ lugless European-type connectors. Exchange Alternator & pwr steering mounting.