2014 Acura ILX Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Acura Ilx - Consumer Reviews

2014 ILX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ILX model:

Sort Reviews by

More fun than expected!
By pwdrday

2014 Acura ILX Sedan Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

When I started looking at this car, I found it to be mediocre on paper. Acceleration, handling, mpg, etc all seemed mediocre. After a test drive, I was happier than expected, and the more I drive it the more I like it. I'm happy to say that this car has a higher fun factor than expected, and the EPA gas mileage is easily exceeded without trying.

Favorite Features

The best part of the car and the thing that sold me is how the transmission and engine work together. It is honestly the best feeling shifter/clutch combo that I have ever used, including my German cars and performance cars like the WRX. While the car is not that fast by today's standards (0-60 in about 7 seconds), it's a lot more fun to accelerate in the real world compared to some of it's counterparts in my opinion. Plus you can wind it out without doing crazy illegal speeds. The engine continues to pull all the way to redline, instead of running out of steam in the higher RPMs like the competitors that I have driven. Fun stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Not all is wonderful with this car. While the steering wheel itself is thick and feels good, the feedback is not there. The biggest miss however is the road noise! LOTS and LOTS of road noise! While the level of noise might be acceptable in a car like a WRX or other bargain performance model, if it wants to be an "Acura", I find the levels well beyond what they should be. The level of noise makes highway travel not as relaxing as it should. If you want quiet, this is not the car!

Great Alternative to Boring Commuter Cars!
By david_d82

2014 Acura ILX Sedan Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2014 ILX 2.4 a little over a month ago, and it's been a great purchase. I did a LOT of research before purchasing this car, and I am very happy that I was not scared off by some of the reviews from the automotive journalism industry. First, this car is not a rebadged Civic Si. different dimensions, different suspension setup and hardware. Also no garish wing or ugly red interior inserts like the Si. Yay! Great manual transmission, too. clutch pickup is spot-on, and shifts are super smooth. nice enough features for the price, but infotainment screen is kinda chintzy, and rear seat passengers really need HVAC vents! Reminds me a lot of my 2006 TSX with a manual only better

Favorite Features

Definitely the engine and Transmission. this car loves to rev and loves to be tossed around. The stereo is good enough, but I don't think it lives up to its "premium" name that is spelled out on the dashboard. USB interface is just ok - having iPhone audio issues, which is frustrating. Perimeter entry and push button start are fun, too. Electric power steering needs some work, but is decently assisted at lower speeds. I also love all of the busy buttons on the center stack. no menus to go in -- everything is right there! Car also does a good job of fitting 4 adults comfortably. Better than the 2006 TSX, actually. I think it has to do with the flat floor.

Suggested Improvements

Summer tires, definitely. I've already had a couple of scary oversteer situations that I think is coming from the weird electric assist power steering coupled with the horrific Michelin Pilot MXM all season treds. Xenon bulbs are great, but could swivel or be positioned higher. Back seat HVAC vents! Bigger infotainment screen would be nice, as would additional power outlets. No good options if you want to run a radar detector. There is only one outlet in the center console.

I absolutely love this car!!! Best car purchase I have made.
By aeroj101

2014 Acura ILX Sedan Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the manual 2.4 version about a month ago, and I am completely in love with this car. First, I think I am probably the target consumer (young professional at a corporate job). I wouldn't want a Civic Si, but I definitely wanted a manual transmission (and the MT option is the ONE main reason I chose the ILX over a Lexus IS; I don't care if the IS is faster, I wanted an MT). The sound isolation is good, road comfort is great (I'm not trying to experience all the bumps on the road), and I personally love hearing the tune of engine revving up (it's beautiful, and it's a manual, and that's part of the fun). I am committed to only owning MT cars, and am glad Acura makes a few.

Favorite Features

Again, the 6-speed manual transmission (which was the selling point for me) just shifts beautifully and is buttery smooth! The care is on the compact side yet comfortably seats 4 adults. I didn't want a large car (but did want a luxury vehicle) and couldn't find any manual TSXs available in the Southern California area. It's definitely not a Honda Civic suited up (I can tell you that much, as a previous Civic owner). I love the connectivity with mobile devices also. Finally, I love that the car did well overall on crash tests, as that was one of the things I always research when buying a new car.

Suggested Improvements

I would love the option of getting the GPS system, and better stereo (which isn't available for the MT). There could be more compartments (as in the TSX) to store change and little things (even my old Civic seemed to have more). AC vents for the rear passengers! The styling is good, but the new generation of front lights with improved front styling would make it even better (maybe a small increase in height in the front lights). The 6-cylinder engine from the TSX (in manual), yes! An maybe a starting base option with the 200 hp engine AT (to make a statement about performance, and to not exclude AT drivers from this beautiful engine).

Ignore the automotive writers and just drive one yourself
By scorpio69er

2014 Acura ILX Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I own the 2014 ILX base 2.0L 5-sp auto. First off, the 150 hp engine is just fine, thanks. I can cruise at 80 mph on the interstate all day long. I've had no issues running at very high altitude climbing fairly steep grades, and getting up to speed is quick at about 8 sec 0-60 -- once the engine is broken in. It's also economical. I'm averaging 30 mpg with ~8K miles of mixed driving. The differences between the 2014 and 2013 are not minor. The 2014 now comes standard with heated leather seats (driver's is powered), rear-backup camera, 17" alloys, and additional sound deadening, including active noise reduction. I'm 6'1" and I fit in the car just fine. Go test drive one yourself.

Favorite Features

Excellent stereo; great outward vision (unlike too many new cars that put you down in a hole, peering out over a high belt line through tiny slits for windows); economical to drive, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support adjustment, thicker leather.

There's more to life than horsepower!
By 1speedbike

2014 Acura ILX Sedan Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

Was apprehensive at first considering the HP ratings, BUT for the price this car can't be beat! Lots of high-tech and comfort features for <$30K. Heated power comfy seats, rear camera, voice integration, bluetooth, active noise cancellation, NAV, leather, sleek styling. This is NOT just an "upgraded Civic." Obviously, engine leaves you wanting, but its buttery smooth and loves to rev, and is plenty for highway passing. Suspension is not too taut like a sports car, but not overly soft. Steering is typical Honda light, but also responsive. Great handling for FWD. Also, super LIGHT car with consistent 30 mpg. Other than power, it has everything I could ask for in an entry luxury sedan.

Favorite Features

Lots of standard features. High level of comfort and class in this price range. Balanced suspension that isn't too tight or too loose. Steering is surprisingly responsive and communicative despite feeling light. Great MPGs. Lots of upgrades included standard for 2014 version over the 2013 model.

Suggested Improvements

Have Tech package and Automatic transmission options for the 2.4L engine! The 2.0 is good, but I don't see why you can't have an auto or a navigation system with the upgraded engine. I get it's the Civic Si engine and should be enjoyed with a manual, but the wife didn't want a stick, so we were left with no options but the 2.0. Also, the base engine is smooth, fuel-efficient, and good "enough" but still a little underpowered for a luxury car, even entry-level. I guess that keeps the price down.

Excellent Commuter Car
By bybchucky

2014 Acura ILX Sedan Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I recently purchased an ILX with the Tech pkg, and I am very pleased with it. I had a 2008 Acura TL prior to purchasing this car, and I thought I would miss the V6 acceleration, but I honestly don't. A lot of the reviews say the 150 hp is underpowered, but I find the car to be adequate. In fact, it picks up quite nicely on the highway and I don't have trouble passing cars. The interior is nice, well built, and feels a lot wider than what the outside appearance would make you believe. The rear leg room is also excellent considering this is a compact car. As stated above, this is an excellent commuter car.

Favorite Features

The ELS premium sound system is absolutely fantastic. Put in a CD or AUX audio for the highest quality sound bit, and it sounds like you're in a concert hall. If you ever find a DVD-audio disc, the surround sound option is a real treat. The navigation is good and will get you where you need to go, and the back-up camera with three views is also great and very helpful. Proximity key is wonderful too.

Suggested Improvements

The bluetooth, while functional, is cumbersome to use. I understand they are trying to be safe, but the old system was more user friendly. I wouldn't mind an update to the navigation to make it a little more jazzed up. The road noise on SOME surfaces is really loud, although it could just be the tires. And really, memory seats and a power passenger seat should be standard on luxury cars, even at entry models. Wouldn't mind LED tail lights and white license plate lights, since most luxury car makers (even Acura with their higher-end models) have switched to those.

Excellent Value!
By pda2

2014 Acura ILX Sedan Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

Well, I have the smaller engine in the automatic and it aint a beast..but with the shifter paddles you can manipulate the gears slightly for a little bit more oooumph. From a quality to price standpoint, this is VERY hard to beat. I looked at Chevy's, Toyota's, even the Mazda 3 and 6, all similar price points. The quality inside and lines out, make this look like and feel like a much more respectable and high quality ride. What car would you rather show up in at a clients house? What car would you rather trust with a child inside? LCD screen is VERY small BUT the trunk holds 2 sets+ of golf clubs. It rides very smooth, seats adjust easily, the interface is user friendly with simple buttons

Favorite Features

Standard Features on the Premium model are really all you need! Simple interface, Blue Tooth hooks up easy, charger built in is key. Cup Holders are perfect

Suggested Improvements

Blue tooth clarity needs to be improved. LCD Screen is in on the VERY small side Door Storage is non existent for glasses or anything else Home Link for garage doors would be great!

Great performance and great value
By stevenrose

2014 Acura ILX Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I have to say my new ILX is a great car. The engine is really responsive and the shifting is really smooth. The interior is finished very well and the leather wrapped steering wheel feels great on the hands. Handling is excellent, the car goes exactly where you point it. After the car is broken in, the car is really sporty to drive. I think the car is underrated. Consumer Reports does a great job recommending the ILX, other reviewers complain that the ILX is underpowered, but I would give it a test drive. I drove the new Accord and the Subaru Legacy and I liked the ILX a lot better. I like how compact and zippy it feels. I am an Acura Fan and in love with the ILX

Favorite Features

Smooth powertrain Exterior Styling-Love side profile Interior finished very upscale Leather steering wheel Leather seats Handling Keyless Entry Push Button Start Sound System MPG (28 combined)

Suggested Improvements

Even tighter steering Less Road Noise