2014 Acura ILX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Acura ILX Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ILX model:

Love it
By wdc6446

2014 Acura ILX Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

The more I drive this car, the more I love it. Like many others, I was a little worried I would miss having a turbo but loved the combination of economy, luxury,reliability and good looks that this car offered, at a price I could feel good about. Feels sporty, smooth, and responsive. I can honestly say I haven't missed the horsepower. I can't believe it doesn't get better reviews. I have the Tech package, and love the bluetooth, the navigation, and the sound. I rarely get less than 30 mpg and that with considerable city driving. When you give it gas, it has a healthy rev, and cruises very comfortably at 70-80mph. Passing is never a problem.

I love the interior looks and comfort. Everything is very functional and intuitive. Gas mileage is great, and the ride is comfortable. So far, super reliable, no mechanical issues whatsoever. Also love the speaker system.

Trunk could be a little larger. Some slight vibration noise in the frame when traveling at higher speeds. Some bluetooth/smartphone compatibility issues as well; not all features are fully functional depending on the model phone you have, but I think this is a problem with all cars.

What you expect from the driver's seat isn't what this $31k Civic delivers.
By zoomjag

2014 Acura ILX Sedan Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

Disappointing with time. This vehicle doesn't feel like a comprehensive 'package' - It's an economy car, that's it. Acura has taken a Civic (which is perfectly good as is) added a great dash, and some engine and suspension tuning and called it a day, and these mechanical touches don't really seem to add anything to the Civic package nor compete with the Civic Si(as if engineers just threw "good parts" at the car without testing). In many ways, the result here is an underpowered, loud, econobox with disturbing views from the drivers seat (funhouse drivers mirror, subpar plastic on the lower doors, blindspots for days) with a stereo that doesn't deliver premium sound leave you expecting more

The dashboard and steering controls are refined, and intuitive (in time). Automatic transmission is taut and well executed with paddle shifters.

The 2016 ILX will be interesting as the number of improvements make it a completely different vehicle than the first generation ILX.

More fun than expected!
By pwdrday

2014 Acura ILX Sedan Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

When I started looking at this car, I found it to be mediocre on paper. Acceleration, handling, mpg, etc all seemed mediocre. After a test drive, I was happier than expected, and the more I drive it the more I like it. I'm happy to say that this car has a higher fun factor than expected, and the EPA gas mileage is easily exceeded without trying.

The best part of the car and the thing that sold me is how the transmission and engine work together. It is honestly the best feeling shifter/clutch combo that I have ever used, including my German cars and performance cars like the WRX. While the car is not that fast by today's standards (0-60 in about 7 seconds), it's a lot more fun to accelerate in the real world compared to some of it's counterparts in my opinion. Plus you can wind it out without doing crazy illegal speeds. The engine continues to pull all the way to redline, instead of running out of steam in the higher RPMs like the competitors that I have driven. Fun stuff.

Not all is wonderful with this car. While the steering wheel itself is thick and feels good, the feedback is not there. The biggest miss however is the road noise! LOTS and LOTS of road noise! While the level of noise might be acceptable in a car like a WRX or other bargain performance model, if it wants to be an "Acura", I find the levels well beyond what they should be. The level of noise makes highway travel not as relaxing as it should. If you want quiet, this is not the car!

Great Alternative to Boring Commuter Cars!
By david_d82

2014 Acura ILX Sedan Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2014 ILX 2.4 a little over a month ago, and it's been a great purchase. I did a LOT of research before purchasing this car, and I am very happy that I was not scared off by some of the reviews from the automotive journalism industry. First, this car is not a rebadged Civic Si. different dimensions, different suspension setup and hardware. Also no garish wing or ugly red interior inserts like the Si. Yay! Great manual transmission, too. clutch pickup is spot-on, and shifts are super smooth. nice enough features for the price, but infotainment screen is kinda chintzy, and rear seat passengers really need HVAC vents! Reminds me a lot of my 2006 TSX with a manual only better

Definitely the engine and Transmission. this car loves to rev and loves to be tossed around. The stereo is good enough, but I don't think it lives up to its "premium" name that is spelled out on the dashboard. USB interface is just ok - having iPhone audio issues, which is frustrating. Perimeter entry and push button start are fun, too. Electric power steering needs some work, but is decently assisted at lower speeds. I also love all of the busy buttons on the center stack. no menus to go in -- everything is right there! Car also does a good job of fitting 4 adults comfortably. Better than the 2006 TSX, actually. I think it has to do with the flat floor.

Summer tires, definitely. I've already had a couple of scary oversteer situations that I think is coming from the weird electric assist power steering coupled with the horrific Michelin Pilot MXM all season treds. Xenon bulbs are great, but could swivel or be positioned higher. Back seat HVAC vents! Bigger infotainment screen would be nice, as would additional power outlets. No good options if you want to run a radar detector. There is only one outlet in the center console.

I absolutely love this car!!! Best car purchase I have made.
By aeroj101

2014 Acura ILX Sedan Premium Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the manual 2.4 version about a month ago, and I am completely in love with this car. First, I think I am probably the target consumer (young professional at a corporate job). I wouldn't want a Civic Si, but I definitely wanted a manual transmission (and the MT option is the ONE main reason I chose the ILX over a Lexus IS; I don't care if the IS is faster, I wanted an MT). The sound isolation is good, road comfort is great (I'm not trying to experience all the bumps on the road), and I personally love hearing the tune of engine revving up (it's beautiful, and it's a manual, and that's part of the fun). I am committed to only owning MT cars, and am glad Acura makes a few.

Again, the 6-speed manual transmission (which was the selling point for me) just shifts beautifully and is buttery smooth! The care is on the compact side yet comfortably seats 4 adults. I didn't want a large car (but did want a luxury vehicle) and couldn't find any manual TSXs available in the Southern California area. It's definitely not a Honda Civic suited up (I can tell you that much, as a previous Civic owner). I love the connectivity with mobile devices also. Finally, I love that the car did well overall on crash tests, as that was one of the things I always research when buying a new car.

I would love the option of getting the GPS system, and better stereo (which isn't available for the MT). There could be more compartments (as in the TSX) to store change and little things (even my old Civic seemed to have more). AC vents for the rear passengers! The styling is good, but the new generation of front lights with improved front styling would make it even better (maybe a small increase in height in the front lights). The 6-cylinder engine from the TSX (in manual), yes! An maybe a starting base option with the 200 hp engine AT (to make a statement about performance, and to not exclude AT drivers from this beautiful engine).