Used 2003 Acura CL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

The best sport coupe value out there
By Nick-L

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The CL Type S 6 speed is simply the best sport coupe value available. It has it all: excellent performance, superb handling, luxurious, roomy and practical, FWD for the snow, absolutely reliable - all for less than $30k. This is the 3rd Acura CL we've bought. My wife and I bought a matching pair of 2001 CL's, and I loved them so much that I recently traded one in for a new 2003 Type S 6 speed. There was simply nothing else out there like it. The new Infiniti G35 Coupe was close - it's a very nice car, but RWD doesn't go as well in the snow, it has less room, and is about $10k more. It was a no brainer choice.

Favorite Features

Power, combination of superb handling (courtesy of the helical limited slip differential) with FWD practicality in the snow, luxurious and roomy interior, big trunk, rock-solid reliability, and good gas mileage to boot.

Suggested Improvements

It's hard to ask for more at this price. I'm just sorry it's been discontinued.

Acura fun with value
By Bill

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

While Acura has a great reputation for reliability and resale; I have been extremely disappointed with the Honda Motor Company in customer service. When given an 800 number it appears to only go to the Honda customer service and most of the time the assumption on the part of the phone operators is that I'm a Honda owner. The dealership is not very good considering my experience in the past with a premium vehicle. Acura while being an excellent well engineered and fun car to own, does not measure up on the critical aspects of service and followup with owners when compared to Toyota Company.

Favorite Features

The technology and GPS system are awesome. This is a tight fun to drive car. I have just turned 30K and not one single thing has been an issue other than putting up with a poor service system at the dealership.

Suggested Improvements

Acura needs to decide if their cars are really premium or just glorified Honda's. If they want loyalty to consumers willing to pay premium prices they had better devote approporiate treatment and service for us.

6sp Manual type S
By tom

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Incredibly fun car to own and drive. Beautiful and high quality interior, especially considering the price. Seats grip your sides and hold you in during hard turns. Smooth and quick shifting 6 speed manual. This car is fast too.

Favorite Features

Seats, thick rimmed steering wheel, quick manual shifter, powerful V6.

Suggested Improvements

I live in AZ and the paint is starting to fade near the back window due to the harsh Arizona sun. Only other thing I would change is to make it real wheel drive, then it would be a real "sport" coupe.

Great blend of touring comfort and performance in a mid priced coupe
By jimmbbo

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the car new after having had Honda Acuras and Preludes for a decade, and I wanted to move up. Was struck immediately by its spirited performance, good handling and comfort for long drives. The styling is refined and understated, but clearly not head turning. Interior is well finished, and mechanically the car has been excellent. Straight line acceleration is faster than it feels, and it's a blast to drive in the curves. The manual six speed is smooth, and perfectly matched to the engine and car... RECOMMENDED!

Favorite Features

Balance of acceleration, ride, cornering, and a transmission that is perfectly matched to the car. A joy to drive fast and twisty, as well as fast and straight. I would like a bit more suspension stiffness in the turns, but not at the cost of ride quality in "cruise mode".

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint about the car is that BOTH HID headlight power supplies failed about a month apart. This was the first year of HID availability, so it was likely infant mortality, and fortunately they failed under warranty (2 x $700!). Warranty service was very professional. If they had failed out of warranty, I would have become quite testy...

Love this car
By Kane Jones

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a 2003 acura 3.2 cl 2 years ago from a friend of mine who owns a mechanic shop, and I must say that this car is an amazing car, the engine sounds great and at times I would just turn the radio off just to listen to the engine purr as it has a distinct sound to it that sounds so good, the only issue I've had so far is with the power steering making a whining noise which turns out to be the power steering pump, but otherwise this is a great car, I updated the deck to a double din screen, hooked up a back up camera to it and installed an amplifier with an 18 inch sub woofer and now my wife is driving in style lol....I will buy another cl for myself.