Used 2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S

View reviews for a specific CL model:

11 years and counting
By bill2003cl

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My CD player just died and I had to consider whether to pat $400 to have it fixed or possibly getting a new car and going with getting the CD fixed. After 11 years and 150,000 miles, it's showing its age externally, but it still drives great. I just had the manual transmission fluid changed for the first time. With no radio for a couple of weeks I could appreciate how great the engine purrs. If you can find a used one with a manual, I would recommend it. It sounds like it should be good for another 100,000 miles and only an Audi or a BMW might seem like an improvement.

Favorite Features

Manual Transmission. If you're a golfer like me: TRUNK SPACE I've driven it the 1000 miles to Florida and back about 10 times and it's been a pleasure (which is why I'm getting the CD fixed).

Suggested Improvements

Bring back Acura Coupes (Hondas just don't compare)

Great blend of touring comfort and performance in a mid priced coupe
By jimmbbo

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the car new after having had Honda Acuras and Preludes for a decade, and I wanted to move up. Was struck immediately by its spirited performance, good handling and comfort for long drives. The styling is refined and understated, but clearly not head turning. Interior is well finished, and mechanically the car has been excellent. Straight line acceleration is faster than it feels, and it's a blast to drive in the curves. The manual six speed is smooth, and perfectly matched to the engine and car... RECOMMENDED!

Favorite Features

Balance of acceleration, ride, cornering, and a transmission that is perfectly matched to the car. A joy to drive fast and twisty, as well as fast and straight. I would like a bit more suspension stiffness in the turns, but not at the cost of ride quality in "cruise mode".

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint about the car is that BOTH HID headlight power supplies failed about a month apart. This was the first year of HID availability, so it was likely infant mortality, and fortunately they failed under warranty (2 x $700!). Warranty service was very professional. If they had failed out of warranty, I would have become quite testy...

You want quick and reliable? Start here
By airplane nerd

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

By a large margin, the best car I've owned in more than a half-century on the road. Impressive response to throttle inputs, smooth shifts, excellent torque, even in 5th gear, pretty decent mileage (22 with a lot of stop-and-go 25-mi commutes into DC and back). Virtually no shop time other than for reg maintenance, brakes went 60K before replacement. Finish holding up very well despite outside parking at home. The kid wants to know when I'll be too old to drive it so she can have it, even tho she's not sure why there are three pedals. When they pry my cold, dead fingers from the shift knob, that's when. Or when Acura builds me a suitable and acceptable successor.

Favorite Features

clutch/transmission, interior appointments, useful trunk space, rear- hugging driver's seat, "that sound" when turning 4K or better.

Suggested Improvements

Really wish they had put the tach in the middle of the cluster.

Great Car
By Happy Driver

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car new. After 140K I still love it. One repair (about a month ago) other than normal maintenance. Fast (enough), quiet, comfortable, reasonable mileage for this type of car. Build quality is excellant. Styling still looks good. If they still made them I'd buy another in a skinny minute. I do NOT like the newest generation TL even though the mechanicals are pretty much the same. If you're looking for a great used car, the CL-S should be on your list. You'll have to get another one though, I'm keeping mine!

Favorite Features

All of them.

Suggested Improvements

I've only found two issues. The brakes are typical Honda, I replaced the front rotors with Brembos to solve. The CD player fails after a while. Did some research - the player is an Alpine unit, only the speakers are Bose. So be prepared to upgrade both if these are problems for you.

The goo and the bad
By jbak

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I believe that the CL S-Type is the best value in it's class. The car is really built very well. There is not another car out there that you get so much for so little. The S-Type comes completely loaded at a price of about $33,000. It blows every BMW away in terms of features, price, and horsepower. There is only the BMW M3 that has more horses and the M3 almost costs double. I traded in a 95 BMW 325is for the Acura and all I can say is the Acurua ROCKS!!

Favorite Features

The Bose audio system is fantastic. Great pick up and smooth acceleration. A great car to drive on the highway for a long drive. Real good passing power at any speed. Very comfortable seats. Oh, and by the way, it is front wheel drive. Much better to drive in the snow!

Suggested Improvements

Lower the suspension a little. Make the race a little more racey. At times, a little too much body roll in shape corners.