Used 2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Perfect Combination of Sport and Luxury
By xrodriguez1992

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I am really enjoying driving this car! It blends sport and luxury perfectly. You have all the luxury features you would expect out of an Acura such as leather seats, memory seats, climate control, heated seats, Bose stereo, Xenon headlights, etc. But with the CL-S you get the quicker 260 hp/232 lb-tq engine and the 6-speed manual makes it a thrill to drive. It handles great but the suspension isn't too rough for daily driving. The Honda-made J32 engine is extremely reliable and should last for many more years to come. I can't think of too many other cars that combine all of this in one package. If you can find one with the 6-speed, buy it now!

Favorite Features

Reliability, memory seats, Bose stereo is pretty good, Xenon headlights, seats hold you in nicely but are still comfortable, 6-speed is outstanding, power is very solid as well.

Suggested Improvements

Would like better fuel economy, but that's mainly on my driving style. It's hard not to dip into VTEC every once in a while and hear the car roar!

Love this car
By Kane Jones

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a 2003 acura 3.2 cl 2 years ago from a friend of mine who owns a mechanic shop, and I must say that this car is an amazing car, the engine sounds great and at times I would just turn the radio off just to listen to the engine purr as it has a distinct sound to it that sounds so good, the only issue I've had so far is with the power steering making a whining noise which turns out to be the power steering pump, but otherwise this is a great car, I updated the deck to a double din screen, hooked up a back up camera to it and installed an amplifier with an 18 inch sub woofer and now my wife is driving in style lol....I will buy another cl for myself.

11 years and counting
By bill2003cl

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My CD player just died and I had to consider whether to pat $400 to have it fixed or possibly getting a new car and going with getting the CD fixed. After 11 years and 150,000 miles, it's showing its age externally, but it still drives great. I just had the manual transmission fluid changed for the first time. With no radio for a couple of weeks I could appreciate how great the engine purrs. If you can find a used one with a manual, I would recommend it. It sounds like it should be good for another 100,000 miles and only an Audi or a BMW might seem like an improvement.

Favorite Features

Manual Transmission. If you're a golfer like me: TRUNK SPACE I've driven it the 1000 miles to Florida and back about 10 times and it's been a pleasure (which is why I'm getting the CD fixed).

Suggested Improvements

Bring back Acura Coupes (Hondas just don't compare)

Great blend of touring comfort and performance in a mid priced coupe
By jimmbbo

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the car new after having had Honda Acuras and Preludes for a decade, and I wanted to move up. Was struck immediately by its spirited performance, good handling and comfort for long drives. The styling is refined and understated, but clearly not head turning. Interior is well finished, and mechanically the car has been excellent. Straight line acceleration is faster than it feels, and it's a blast to drive in the curves. The manual six speed is smooth, and perfectly matched to the engine and car... RECOMMENDED!

Favorite Features

Balance of acceleration, ride, cornering, and a transmission that is perfectly matched to the car. A joy to drive fast and twisty, as well as fast and straight. I would like a bit more suspension stiffness in the turns, but not at the cost of ride quality in "cruise mode".

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint about the car is that BOTH HID headlight power supplies failed about a month apart. This was the first year of HID availability, so it was likely infant mortality, and fortunately they failed under warranty (2 x $700!). Warranty service was very professional. If they had failed out of warranty, I would have become quite testy...

You want quick and reliable? Start here
By airplane nerd

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

By a large margin, the best car I've owned in more than a half-century on the road. Impressive response to throttle inputs, smooth shifts, excellent torque, even in 5th gear, pretty decent mileage (22 with a lot of stop-and-go 25-mi commutes into DC and back). Virtually no shop time other than for reg maintenance, brakes went 60K before replacement. Finish holding up very well despite outside parking at home. The kid wants to know when I'll be too old to drive it so she can have it, even tho she's not sure why there are three pedals. When they pry my cold, dead fingers from the shift knob, that's when. Or when Acura builds me a suitable and acceptable successor.

Favorite Features

clutch/transmission, interior appointments, useful trunk space, rear- hugging driver's seat, "that sound" when turning 4K or better.

Suggested Improvements

Really wish they had put the tach in the middle of the cluster.